• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Chandlers Bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chandlers Bailiffs

Hi all.....I am new to posting but am so worried about my situation with chandlers bailiffs. I separated from my husband just after christmas and whilst sorting out finances got behind with my council tax, to the point it got passed to these. I have never dealt with anything like this before and stupidly let the bailiffs in and so they obtained a walking possesion. At the time the bailiff was discussing the matter with me I had all four young children at home and just signed anything just to get it over and done with. I had agreed a payment plan but thought it was to be paid by direct debit. I made an intial payment and checked my bank a month later but nothing had come out so I left it a few days, still nothing so I went straight onto their website and made the payment online. However today on my daughters birthday and a week later a bailiff arrives with the intention of removing my goods and now says I owe a further £125 which takes the debt to more then the original debt and i've already paid £186 off of it....they are also charging me to use my debit card. He wanted to come back at 7pm but me crying and explaining it was my daughters birthday, he changed it to 9am the next day. Is there anything I can do as I can afford the original debt just but not the charges x.....many thanks and sorry 4 the ramble x
    Tags: None

Re: Chandlers Bailiffs

Originally posted by kelapps View Post
    Hi all.....I am new to posting but am so worried about my situation with chandlers bailiffs. I separated from my husband just after christmas and whilst sorting out finances got behind with my council tax, to the point it got passed to these. I have never dealt with anything like this before and stupidly let the bailiffs in and so they obtained a walking possesion. At the time the bailiff was discussing the matter with me I had all four young children at home and just signed anything just to get it over and done with. I had agreed a payment plan but thought it was to be paid by direct debit. I made an intial payment and checked my bank a month later but nothing had come out so I left it a few days, still nothing so I went straight onto their website and made the payment online. However today on my daughters birthday and a week later a bailiff arrives with the intention of removing my goods and now says I owe a further £125 which takes the debt to more then the original debt and i've already paid £186 off of it....they are also charging me to use my debit card. He wanted to come back at 7pm but me crying and explaining it was my daughters birthday, he changed it to 9am the next day. Is there anything I can do as I can afford the original debt just but not the charges x.....many thanks and sorry 4 the ramble x
    Guess what - the basta ... bailiff is overcharging. Read this - link and contact the council first thing in the morning to find out how much is still owed. Do not be put off by the numpty or numptiess (female numpty) who may tell you that you must deal with the bailiff; tell them that you have a right to know how much you still owe and that, because of the grossly excessive and possibly unlawful charges demanded by the bailiff, you are unable to believe a word the bugger says. If you still get a refusal, escalate the call to someone more senior - a supervisor or a manager.

And remember - whatever the bailiff might say, under the recent EU directive, they are no longer permitted to remove your children to be minced up for the filling in "family" meat pies.

Comment

Hi....thanks for your quick reply. The uncertificated bailiff is coming this morning at 9.30, will I incur more charges as he has had to come back?

My original debt was £410. Then a £38 levy fee, £12 walking possession fee and a £24.50 attendance fee was added. This I can understand (sort of). My issue is that at the time with four kids running around I was not in a position to fully understand everything that was being said and definately was not made aware of the high charges. Also I was under the impression it was being done by direct debit. The payment was due on the 3/09/2011 and I made it via the website on the 10/09/2011 as I became aware it had not left my account yet.

My issue is ....having received my payment of £100 by debit card they still attended my house with an intention to remove goods....are demanding debt in full and are charging me £125 to do so ...

Need help fast

Sorry again for the long windedness'

Would I just have to pay it then claim the charges were unjustified?

Comment

Me again..sorry x

Just checked on the certificated bailiffs website and the bailiff who came out to me first was a certificated bailiff but the one that came yesterday to remove goods and charged me £125 is not on the website so I would take it ...not certificated. would I still have to pay the charge and does he now have any authority regarding gaining entry?

thanks

Comment

Check with the Ministry of Justice about them being uncertificated before you act on this, the website is not always up to date.

I'd believe he's coming when he actually turns up - they do tend to be compulsive liars.

If they do come, you will incur more fees, but if the ones incurred to date were all on one visit, they are unlawful. Have you acted on Clever Cloggs' advice yet? You need to contact the council. If you're positive these are the only fees added to date, fine - if unsure, send an SAR (click bailiff tab at top of page - SAR is near the end of the top 10 or so stickys) to find out exactly what has been charged and why. All unlawful charges can then be disputed.

Copy anything complaining about current conduct or charges to the Head of Revenues at the council.

Comment

If they are charging you for using your Debit Card ask them to point you to the Regulation that allows them to do this.

PT
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            Is it possible you can list the goods seized as listed on the Notice of Seizure?

PT
            Last edited by ploddertom; 20th September 2011, 20:56:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I assume the same Ploddertom from CAG - a very warm welcome to LB. You'd have known me over there as Tingy before I was banned for doing nothing.

Hope you enjoy it here on LB.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                I assume the same Ploddertom from CAG - a very warm welcome to LB. You'd have known me over there as Tingy before I was banned for doing nothing.

Hope you enjoy it here on LB.
                Certainly is - decided to sprout wings, have to say I do miss your posts.

PT

Comment

No need to now! All the joys of the uninformative Caspar again! lol

Comment

Hi....thanks for your quick reply. The uncertificated bailiff is coming this morning at 9.30, will I incur more charges as he has had to come back?
                    I expect he will have tried to impose even more charges.

My original debt was £410. Then a £38 levy fee, £12 walking possession fee and a £24.50 attendance fee was added. This I can understand (sort of).
                    One can only understand those charges if one believes that the bailiff needs to comply with neither The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 (as amended) - PDF link - nor the rules of simple arithmetic. Otherwise, the levy fee should be £37 and no attendance fee should have been charged at all. See Schedule 5 (1) A - the attendance fee is only payable if no levy has been made.
                    Last edited by CleverClogs; 21st September 2011, 10:07:AM. Reason: the posting was incomplete

Comment

Me again..sorry x

Just checked on the certificated bailiffs website and the bailiff who came out to me first was a certificated bailiff but the one that came yesterday to remove goods and charged me £125 is not on the website so I would take it ...not certificated. would I still have to pay the charge and does he now have any authority regarding gaining entry?

thanks
                      A bailiff certificated or not may levy goods at your property and complete all the required paperwork and include the correct charges but HE CANNOT TAKE MONEY OR POSSESSIONS FROM YOU but must have a certified Bailiff in attendance to do this and beware just because his name does not appear on the list you saw it does not mean he isn't certified what you can do is contact his company and ask to see proof of his certification if the company refuse to do this you can contact the council and complain.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X