• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DEFAULT - Lloyds TSB - Legal Assistance/Advice Required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFAULT - Lloyds TSB - Legal Assistance/Advice Required

Background
    I opened an Account with the Lloyds TSB in 1997. At the time of opening the account no agreeent was signed by me as the account was opened by a friend who worked at the bank at the time. Therefore there was no signature on any document agreeing for Lloyds TSB to pass information to the CRAs.

During the height of the bank charges situation I found out that, over a period of 6 years, I had incurred £4800 worth of bank charges and much of this was a "Snowballing" charge on charge situation.

On the 31st December 2008 I stopped using LTSB and opened an account with another bank.

On the 9th February 2009 I registered a Dispute with LTSB and that dispute is presently being handled by the Financial Ombudsman.

Despite advising LTSB that the account was in dispute (Not Just because of bank charges) LTSB continued to apply charges at a rate of £200 per month and eventually stopped when the account reached £1200 or so overdrawn.

In June 2010 LTSB registered defaults against myself and my wife (as joint account holders).

Neither of us had received a Default Notice and, whilst we could understand one going missing, it is a coincidence for both not to have been received.

We questioned this with LTSB (By way of a Subject Access Request) and they confirmed the following:
    • They did not have a copy of the Orignal Agreement opening the account (as clearly they would not have!) - but given the time were not required to keep it.
    • They did not have a copy of the Default Notice and further more they were not required to keep a copy - despite it being just over a year since it was supposedly released.
    I am aware of others who have also had Defaults registered by LTSB but have not had Default Notices served.

My Thoughts
    The following are my thoughts. Please correct me if I am wrong:
    1. When an account is "In Dispute" the bank should place a freeze on the account and not register any Defaults until the outcome of any investigation by the FOS.
    2. Before registering a Default a Default Notice needs to be served.
    3. In my situation there is also the additional situation where there is no original agreement - however I accept that argument is not as strong as items (1) and (2)
    Going Forward
    My aim is to issue proceedings in the Small Claims County Court, against LTSB, for damages limited to £500 - therefore minimising any liability to pay Defendant costs.

Request
    I would welcome those who have been involved in legal matters similar to this or those who have an opinion on the "Technical Issues" here.

I have a legal background. However, not in this area.

I am of the belief that in order to file a Default with the CRAs a Default Notice needs to be served.

It appears to be the opinion of the Banking Code of Conduct that Default Notices should not be registered when an account is "In Dispute".

It also appears to be the opinion of the Information Commissioners Office that a bank, such as LTSB, should retain relavant documents - especially those allegedly only issued a year earlier.

Many Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: DEFAULT - Lloyds TSB - Legal Assistance/Advice Required

There is another thread involving a claim now issued in the County Court against Lloyds for wrongful handling of alleged defaults.

Has your FOS complaint been adjudicated ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post
      There is another thread involving a claim now issued in the County Court against Lloyds for wrongful handling of alleged defaults.

Has your FOS complaint been adjudicated ?

No, they have started to look at it but it has not yet reached a final decision

Comment

I would have thought in this case, and it's not a suggestion I would often make, that if you wait for the adjudication of the FOS, if they rule in your favour there is no reason why you should not take it to court yourself as being Unenforceable. As I understand things, if it goes to court they would have to have a true copy of the original agreement, so there would be no way they could win the case.

This may not only remove the default, but could possibly remove any debt in its entirity.

Comment

I opened an Account with the Lloyds TSB in 1997. At the time of opening the account no agreeent was signed by me as the account was opened by a friend who worked at the bank at the time. Therefore there was no signature on any document agreeing for Lloyds TSB to pass information to the CRAs.
          Can I ask here

What sort of Account is it??

Bank account or credit card account???

Reason for asking is I am persuming it is a bank account so correct me if i am wrong here anyone but I think this

if it goes to court they would have to have a true copy of the original agreement, so there would be no way they could win the case.

would not apply as there is not a credit agreement for a bank account in the first place
          Last edited by Gorang; 29th August 2011, 10:56:AM. Reason: added reason for asking the question

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
            I would have thought in this case, and it's not a suggestion I would often make, that if you wait for the adjudication of the FOS, if they rule in your favour there is no reason why you should not take it to court yourself as being Unenforceable. As I understand things, if it goes to court they would have to have a true copy of the original agreement, so there would be no way they could win the case.

This may not only remove the default, but could possibly remove any debt in its entirity.
            This was my thought. My only concern is that the FOS have come down in favour of LTSB before so I would not want to go to Court with an FOS decision against me - (Just being cautious).
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            Originally posted by Gorang View Post
            Can I ask here

What sort of Account is it??

Bank account or credit card account???

Its a Bank Account.
            Last edited by TheRedDragon; 29th August 2011, 10:53:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Its a Bank Account.
              As I thought

Caspar was you thinking it was a credit card account or is there somthing I am missing here (which is more than likely knowing me pmsl? ?

Also Caspar Sorry if my posts in this thread offend in any way at all , as that is NOT my intention

I am hoping that I have missed sumit huge here
              Last edited by Gorang; 29th August 2011, 11:04:AM. Reason: speeling

Comment

One argument to counter the original credit agreement could be that the bank send countless documents (and would have since 1997) to say information is sent to CRAs. Arguably they have nothing with my signature on it. However, I have continued to use the account.

I think my best case is the fact that LTSB have not served a Default Notice.

I am sure they will allege that they did. But it appears that they may struggle to prove it.

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Indeed I was thinking of a CCA reulated agreement. Do not have worries about offending me - it doesn't easily happen! lol

Also, if I post something incorrect, it is more important for the information to be corrected than to consider my emotions.

Have a read of the Lending Code March 2011 Section 178 onwards. Can't give link as I only have it saved as a pdf on my computer sorry, but a quick Google will throw it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                    Hi Gordon,

Indeed I was thinking of a CCA reulated agreement. Do not have worries about offending me - it doesn't easily happen! lolThank you kind Caspar

Also, if I post something incorrect, it is more important for the information to be corrected than to consider my emotions. Again thank you, the last thing I ever want to do is offend anyone so will always try to consider others emotions, wether they have gave correct or incorrect advice, makes no difference in my veiw, as I try to live by, Talk/Write to others as I would like to be Talked/wrote to myself

Have a read of the Lending Code March 2011 Section 178 onwards. Can't give link as I only have it saved as a pdf on my computer sorry, but a quick Google will throw it up.I am away to have a look at that right now thanks
                    PS sorry for hijacking your thread a bit here TheRedDragon

Comment

Have a read of the Lending Code March 2011 Section 178 onwards. Can't give link as I only have it saved as a pdf on my computer sorry, but a quick Google will throw it up.
                      Got it from here

http://www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk/thecode.html

Have attached the PDF

Comment

Thought I would throw my penneth worth in for what its worth ….not much but a little

Before any financial institution can supply personal and financial information to any third party ( including CRA’s) the have to issue you with a "Fair Rrocessing Notice" this is normally contained (or should be) in any agreement you “sign” with the institution, you have to signify agreement as to how any information about you and your particular agreement will be used, if you have not signed any agreement, then the lender has breached the First Principle of the DPA 1998 and supplied your info to the CRA’s unlawfully.
                        It could also be considered a breach of Article 8 of the ECHR……….The right to privacy of home life and personal correspondence, having really studied the DPA for 12 years now ….I could write a book on the inconsistencies of advice dished out to different complainants by different advisors from the ICO.

Sparkie

I am not a lawyer just my own personal view, not to be taken as absolute fact, but close!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
                          Thought I would throw my penneth worth in for what its worth ….not much but a little

Before any financial institution can supply personal and financial information to any third party ( including CRA’s) the have to issue you with a "Fair Rrocessing Notice" this is normally contained (or should be) in any agreement you “sign” with the institution, you have to signify agreement as to how any information about you and your particular agreement will be used, if you have not signed any agreement, then the lender has breached the First Principle of the DPA 1998 and supplied your info to the CRA’s unlawfully.
                          It could also be considered a breach of Article 8 of the ECHR……….The right to privacy of home life and personal correspondence, having really studied the DPA for 12 years now ….I could write a book on the inconsistencies of advice dished out to different complainants by different advisors from the ICO.

Sparkie

I am not a lawyer just my own personal view, not to be taken as absolute fact, but close!!!
                          Interesting

Thanks Sparkie

Yeah and ALL the financial orgs break the First Principle everyday

All you need to do is agree for and APPLICATION FORM to be sent to you and they break the first principle as the CRA's record a search

I am in the process of proving this with my OH just now

Her bank phones her an says you could get a credit card, OH says no I wouldn't for reasons 1, 2, 3 an 4 so it not gonna happen, pushy saleperson yes give me income and outgoing figures from you. So OH gives figures MAKING SURE the outgoings are more than the income, and low and behold the APPLICATION FORM arrives on the mat WITH the figures that has MORE outgoings than income and it says YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED just sign here post this app back to us and your card will be with you in xx days.

And I will bet the CRA's have recorded a search that the bank did for this card

The App isn,t getting signed at all as OH doesn't want the card and told the salesperson she didn't want it (lol I would of called OH a liar if I hadn't heard the phone call from our end LOL) so I am going to have some fun with them about it LOL

I just haven't had time to take it further YET

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X