• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Egg Card - Interest Rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Card - Interest Rates

I've been trading online messages with the unhelpful (I'm being polite) people at Egg about how they have arrived at the 29.9% interest rate that they continue to apply to my account.
    They have come back with the usual drivel about how complex it is, and that it is worked out from a combination of, amongst other things, the current economic climate (an excuse for most financial organisations to simply rip people off), my credit profile (which won't look great) and how I have managed my account since opening it.
    The last of these is a strange one - I've had the account for years, most of it has been fine but I've had some recent difficulties maintaining payments.
    I have asked them to give me more detail about how they have worked out my interest rate - are they obliged to provide this level of detail or can they simply do what they like without explanation?

Update:

Egg Reply:

As a business we will not be providing you with specific details as to how your interest rate has been determined and our Customer Relations Team will also not be able to provide you with this information.
    I can see that we've already confirmed some of the factors.
    We're unable to go into specific details on what criteria we use to determine how an account has been managed.
    We do take into consideration how your account has been managed since it was opened so effectively this would be over the entire duration of the account.
    Our costs of providing credit is one of the factors we use in determining all our customers interest rates.
    When you applied for both your Egg Card and Egg Money card you agreed to the terms and conditions of a variable interest rate.

Condition 5.5 states "We may vary interest rates (apart from fixed rates) and Charges in accordance with Condition 19 of the Egg Card Conditions. The APR does not take these variations into account."

Condition 19.1 states "We can vary any interest rate (other than fixed rates). The variation may take account of factors that are personal to you such as the way in which you conduct your account or increased or decreased credit risk as well as factors that apply generally. We will give you at least 60 days advance notice in writing of interest rate increases and will send you a further notification during the notice period. Each notification will explain your rights under Condition 19.2. We will give you at least seven days' notice of interest rate decreases."

Last edited by supermac9; 10th August 2011, 11:51:AM. Reason: Update
    Tags: None

Re: Egg Card - Interest Rates

I don't think they are obliged to provide this information for commercial reasons.
    It reminds me of when we were trying to force the banks to reveal how they calculate their charging structure and we hit an absolute brick wall as the information was deemed commercially sensitive.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Re: Egg Card - Interest Rates

There have been some further developments with my Egg card account.

A couple of months ago I was advised by Egg that they would be closing my account at the end of September 2011. However, this means that the (extortionate) rate of interest of 29.9% is now fixed until I clear the account - I have submitted a complaint to them on the basis that I won't be able to benefit from any future reductions in rates and that I will be paying them a huge amount of interest over the coming years.

I can anticipate their response, but I'll wait to see what the have to say about it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X