• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Temporary lay off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary lay off.

Hi I was temporary laid off work as an electrician on the 10th of June. The lay off period is for 13 weeks and ends on the 9th of september. However my current contract of employment ends on the 16th of August. Was just wondering where i stand as the company aren't being very helpful regarding paying any monies owed . I know the company will let me go anyway at the end of the 13 weeks.

Anybody got any ideas on wether i will still be entitled to holidays still owed and my week in hand.

Thanks

John
    Tags: None

Re: Temporary lay off.

HI jono, could you be more precise about the contract, are you on a contract of service? so basically are you employed by the company directly on a fixed period contract, or do you work for the company but are liable for your own tax? or are you a self employeed electrician who suplies the van and tools, and given work which is paid for on a job basis?

Comment

I work for the company directly and i was on a 12 month contract. I have been there 4 years.

Comment

So you had four 12 month contracts or you had one 12 month rolling contract for 4 years?

Comment

My apprentice contract ended last august. They renewed it for 12 months as an electrician and it has now ended on the 16th of this month. I just want to know if i can just leave now and ask for my money i am owed or wether i need to give them notice. It says in the contract that i should give notice but it is now out of date.

Comment

I am not an employment law expert. However, I would imagine that as you had a fixed term contract and that contract has now expired, as long as there is nothing in it saying it automatically renews or anything like that, then you do not have any contract so you could leave when you want.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Thats what i thought but the company said i have to still give 2 weeks notice.

Comment

Originally posted by jonog9 View Post
                Thanks for the reply. Thats what i thought but the company said i have to still give 2 weeks notice.
                Thats just what they what you to believe, and is likely becuase they what to keep you on when work picks up. But alas they should have given you a new contract prior to the old one running out. Says to me they not realise they only gave you a 12 month contract.

Anyway, from the date the contract ended you are free of all obligations under the contract including giving any notice as the contract now no longer exist. However any liabilites owed under the contract (wages) are still owed so if they haven't paid you then a formal letter before action should do the trick. If that happens to fail then its to the small claims court to recover your wages owed, or to the employment tribunal which is the cheaper option.
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks teaboy.

I have now told the company i dont wish to hang around and i want any monies owed. I have also put this in writing to them. They are still adament though that 2 weeks notice is statutory. I cannot find anywere on the net thats says this.

Comment

Originally posted by jonog9 View Post
                    Thanks teaboy.

I have now told the company i dont wish to hang around and i want any monies owed. I have also put this in writing to them. They are still adament though that 2 weeks notice is statutory. I cannot find anywere on the net thats says this.
                    Thats because once the employment contract ends, it ceases to exist after the date it is due to end/teminate. After that date you are no longer an employee of the company unless they put in writing they wish to extend your contract and extend the term of the length of the contract, and you signed it in acceptence - But and even then they must do that prior to the contract ending, otherwise they would have to offer you a brand new contract.

Like i said once the contract has terminated it legally ceases to exist and you are no longer bound by any terms or the contract. Your now unemployed as a result of the completion of your contract, just like a footballer becomes a free agent when their contract ends with their club.
                    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Why not write and ask them to provide proof of their claim that 2 weeks notice is required either by your contract or by law?
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X