• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

GP charges for a letter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GP charges for a letter?

How do I access my medical records (health records)? - Health questions - NHS Choices

Comment

Yes, unfortunately, GPs are permitted to charge for letters. And they have the backing of the law. A bummer, I know, but it doesn't fall within what the NHS will provide free of charge.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by mixalis View Post
        a bit rich
        I'm sure the GP will be, if he charges all his patients the same for his signature.

Comment

ACCESS TO MEDICAL RECORDS BY PATIENTS

There are three pieces of legislation that enable patients to access their medical records -

Access to Medical Records Act
          Data Protection Act
          Freedom of Information Act

Which Act applies will depend on the circumstances why you require access. In all cases, patients should approach the Practice Manager at their GP's surgery, in the first instance, and who should be able to advise how to go about obtaining access.

Please be aware, as has been voiced in other posts in this thread, that extracts can be redacted if it what is recorded would have a detrimental effect on the patient's health.

Amongst other things, I'm involved with a charity and other groups involved in Primary Health Care and come across this a lot.

Hope this is helpful.

Bluebottle
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

To be fair to the gps it does really vary. They are there to provide health care for their patients 10 minutes work as described is quite a lot in yerms of their time. Our gp always give a private prescription free of charge if it saves on the drug cost over an nhs prescription you dont even have to ask. But I appreciated not all gps are as good as ours and feel very lucky to have them.
            I'd love to be a Springer Spaniel

Comment

Thanks, I needed this

Comment

Yes, I think it depends on the practice.
                My doctor wrote a letter for me, didn't charge anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                  Yes, they are allowed to charge fees for this, passports, shotgun licenses etc... I agree it's a rip off, but sadly it's the only way to get hold of it, so they have you over a barrel.
                  Apologies for digging out this old thread - received some advice (from an advice-centre - though they didn't explain it in more detail) recently which claimed GP's have a discretionary fund which allows them to waive the fee depending on the patients financial conditions - can anyone provide more detailed information on this please as soon as possible.. ?!

Thanks!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X