• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

conveyancers charge for aborted purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conveyancers charge for aborted purchase

Not sure this is the right place but here goes.
    I am currently in dispute with conveyancers about their final charge after an aborted purchase before exchange of contract. Their charge read “Say £500” plus VAT. I took exception to the ‘say’ and queried what I thought was a high amount as their estimate for the purchase given at commencement was £425 plus expenses. They asked for payments ‘on account’ at the beginning and again as work were proceeding, £200 in total and assumed this was meeting their ongoing charges.
    There has been several letters back and forth where I have stated that I find the charge unreasonable and ‘in dispute’. I picked up on an admission in one of their letters which stated “.......dealt with a lot of work which would normally be dealt with after exchange of contracts”. This convinced me that I was being charged for unnecessary work as the purchase was aborted before the exchange stage. They are now threatening to hand the matter to debt collectors, which is very worrying as being a pensioner with a clear credit record to date. This charge is not a definitive amount unlike say a loan or goods
    Any advice would be helpful, can they hand this to debt collectors even though it is in dispute? Should I make a further part- payment or just pay what they are asking and put it down to experience?
    Tags: None

Re: conveyancers charge for aborted purchase

Mods- thread exists here too: Threatened with debt collectors - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum Could this one perhaps be deleted so that all answers go on the one thread, much easier then for Semiret to get their answer.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X