• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

need advice on access to my child

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on access to my child

Hello, Brand new to this site but ive had a look around and it looks fantasic.

Right my daughter was born in april 2010, me and her mum split up when she was a month old. i would have my daughter come and stay at my house overnight a couple of times a week from the moment we split up. i quickly got in a new relationship with sumone that been a friend for a while, this person had been around my daughter already as my friend, if she hadnt i would of introduced them so soon. When my daughters mum found out i had a new gf she was fine at first and when i went to pick my daughter up my ex even walked over put our daughter in my new gf's car and they chatted fine. a couple of weeks later for no apprent reason she demanded i banned my gf from seeing my daughter as apprently she has no need to be in our daughters life. i agreed only because if i didnt she was going to stop my access. In november 2010 she got a new bf and straight away posted pictures of him over facebook holding and cuddling my daughter so through anger i did the same and because of that she only allowed me supervised access at her house every saturday for 4 hours, i agreed to this, even though i cant stand it there and she lives with her mum and all her brothers and sisters, i agreed as she said when she trusts me again things would go back to normal. Her boyfriend used to spend me messages threating to kick my head in, after a month they split up. after months of this supervised access i decided to contact mediation, my ex didnt want to go to mediation so made an agreement with me that i could take my daughter out every saturday but im not to take her around my gf for 3 months. Ive now had another daughter with my new gf too. for my daughters first birthday my ex even invited my gf and they got along fine.my 3 months has just ended and shes told me im only allowed supervised access again. im only allowed to take my new daughter to meet her sister if my ex is supervising and she says my gf(thats i have now been with over a year) will never be allowed around my daughter as shes been told shes dangerous but she cant tell me why shes dangerous and my gf has even offered her a police document of her criminal history. She is now back with her boyfriend from last year, engaged after 2 weeks and allowing him around our daughter. Ive now got back in contact with mediation, my ex is still saying that i will only ever be allowed accesss in a contact centre and that my gf will never ever be around my daughter. if we dont agree at mediation do you any advise on what i might achieve at court ? theres no abuse, violent or criminal record for me or my gf. my gf has a two year old disabeld son and were both very good parents, we now live together in a 3 bed house with my stepson and my new child.any advise would be amazing as i will never give up. Thank you again and sorry for the essay.
    Tags: None

Re: need advice on access to my child

Hi Devoted Dad

If you read a few of the threads in the Family section of the forum, you'll see that I post regularly on this subject. (I have extensive experience and won a court case on behalf of a father)
    Ordinarily, I recommend anything but the courts because this usually creates further alienation. I also advise non stop attempts to build bridges with the ex, no matter what.

In your case however, I would recommend initiating court action to get a fair access agreement. Your ex has dicked you around royally and because you had reasonable access from the beginning and this has clearly been withdrawn unfairly, you will have excellent prospects in court.

Do you have copies of the messages from her BF?

Firstly.
    Join Families Need Fathers.

Families Need Fathers

They have loads of great legal advice and they do NOT recommend dressing up as Spiderman and climbing tall public buildings! They also have excellent local support groups where you can go to get further advice. They also have lists of solicitors prepared to give free/discounted advice to dads.

Second. Write a full and detailed diary of all events during your daughters life. Be as exact as possible. This is to set out an accurate record of contact thus far; which will establish the precedent set of your access to your child.

I'm assuming you don't have 10k spare?? Most people don't! You may wish to self represent in your case. You will need to work hard, write statements, talk in court and deal with all legal stuff yourself. (with the help of FNF of course)

Your current personal situation puts you in an excellent position and you will certainly be granted a far better access arrangement than you currently have.

GOLDEN RULE: Never, ever, ever show animosity towards your ex in front of court/cafcass officers etc. They will not award residency or extensive contact to a parent who demonstrates hostility towards the ex partner. This is not in the best interests of the child. Of course this will work against your ex and her partner. Demonstrate that you will support and respect her parenting. Absolutely vital.

Read this too: It is they who will make the decision ultimately. The courts abide by 92% OF CAFCASS decisions based on interviews with both parents.

Cafcass - Putting children first in family courts

Keep me posted x Good Luck x
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. messages from her bf are on an old facebook account which im going to do my best to recover. i have recently started saving all convos, my ex has refered to my gfs son as the ****ed up one because of he disabilities and even with that my gf has never sworn, threatened or called her names. we have convos from over the past year of my gf saying she would never try to be her mum as your an excellent mother. i will join the groups and write the diary. About representing myself, im willing to work hard, i just feel like this is such a serious situation i would be worried i wouldnt do it nearly as well as paying someone. I dont really know anything about costs, between me and my gf we could probably afford about £500 per month, am i likely to be able to afford to pay to be represented ? thank you

Comment

I'm not up to date with likely costs but when I went through it with my ex partner ten years ago, we spent nearly 30k over 3 years and that was with me doing all the research, statement writing etc. But that was a case where the child was to be removed to a non Hague Convention country so needed High Court, barristers, emergency hearings etc etc.

Problem with solicitors is they like to make money........they spend most of the time fighting each other. We ended up telling ours to STOP, ignore 90% of the letters, just address the hard facts, not respond to insults and silly threats.

Spend a good amount of time on FNF, you will feel much more confident. You're just going for fair access, not full residency, so it should be relatively straightforward.

FNF will put you in touch with a decent local solicitor who will give you some advice on how to get started. Come back to me and let me know what you find out. I can help with statements etc.
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

btw. that's disgusting the comments about your GF's son. You need to get access to your daughter and quick because she needs some sane balance in her life xx

Comment

Will do. Thank you so much !

Comment

btw do you know if its possible that my gf will never be allowed around my daughter ?

Comment

Absolutely your GF will be allowed access around your child. In fact with a child of her own and a child between you she will be a vital part of your case. Your ex's refusal to allow your GF access is part of the reason why she will be severely weakened if she tries to persist with this vengeful tack.

Comment

im now wondering whether to go for full or joint custody as my daughter shares a room with her mum and aunty and shares the rest of the house with her uncle, nan and about 4 of her auntys and at mine she could have her own room or share with her half sister and share the house with my me, my gf, our daughter and my gf's two year old son. l also feel i would give her mum much fairer access than what shes giving me as my daughter deserves her dad AND her mum. Would i be likely to get anywhere with joint or full custody on the basis her house is overcrowded and i would be fairer with access ?

Comment

Yup, if I were in your shoes, I'd be going for residency (as it is now called), in theory you have a good chance of getting it given that the courts are now meant to be fairer to fathers.
                    Her living accommodation will be a factor as well as the aggressive BF.
                    Sounds like you have a lot to offer.

The crucial determining factor will be the fact that you will support mum in her parenting and offer fair and full access.

Have you been in touch with FNF?

You need to start court action asap because the longer the child is resident with her mum, the trickier it will be to change that dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by devoteddad View Post
                      Thank you so much for your reply. messages from her bf are on an old facebook account which im going to do my best to recover. i have recently started saving all convos, my ex has refered to my gfs son as the ****ed up one because of he disabilities and even with that my gf has never sworn, threatened or called her names. we have convos from over the past year of my gf saying she would never try to be her mum as your an excellent mother. i will join the groups and write the diary. About representing myself, im willing to work hard, i just feel like this is such a serious situation i would be worried i wouldnt do it nearly as well as paying someone. I dont really know anything about costs, between me and my gf we could probably afford about £500 per month, am i likely to be able to afford to pay to be represented ? thank you
                      Sorry to butt in, would you not be able to get any legal aid help? When I was battling with an ex years ago, I was fortunate in that respect to get legal aid.

Paper clips - the larval stage of coat-hangers!

Comment

btw do you know if its possible that my gf will never be allowed around my daughter ?
                        There's does not sound like there is any logical reason, nor legal reason, why that would be the case.

Vengeful ex-partners eventually shoot themselves in the foot. family courts pertaining to residency orders, access, defined access, parental responsibility etc etc etc have seen and heard it all... They tend to be able spot a mile away when a parent is simply being vindictive
                        If I'm not mistaken, the Children Act (1989??) was a very significant piece of law, insomuch as the paramount issues (rightly) centred around what was 'in the best interest of the child'. Wherever possible, a child needs BOTH parents as you rightly say; unfortunately, people allow their emotions to spill over into how they liaise with the child's absent parent, unfortunately, often with negative impact upon the same child from whom they are trying to protect from being hurt.... (imho) You sound like you you have a good head on yr shoulders and yr GF too... that's what kids yearn for, someone who is constant and there for them unconditionally. Good luck :-)

Comment

Thank you all for your replys, im really grateful for all advice and opinions. yes she is very spiteful, a couple of days ago i went to her house (as im not allowed her phone number) to let her know my plans and my daughter was crying for me with her arms out, my gf was waiting in the car but my ex wouldnt let my daughter give me a cuddle until my gf had drove down the street so she wouldnt be able to see my daughter. She seems to think as her mother she has the right to say she can never be apart of my family or allow me to have her. Apart from how controlling and hipocritical she is, is actually a really good mum from what ive seen, my daughters always clean, happy and in nice clothes.

We are currently waiting for our mediation appt... then im going to try the 4 way meetings ive read about as we each have a solictor present who can give legal advice and i think that would help us more than mediation and then if still no agreement press on with court. As i allow know that the courts like you to of tried every other avenue first.

Literally the only thing she has against me is that over the past year ive been late to collect my daughter twice by 5 minutes and the fact i have a picture of both my daughters together because aprently i should of had her permission to allow my 5 months old around my daughter.
                          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                          oh and also i think i am entitled to legal aid as i dont earn enough from my job. I just really want to do this all as best as possible and if squeezing every penny gets me better results then thats what ill do.
                          Last edited by devoteddad; 7th July 2011, 11:33:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thank you all for your replys, im really grateful for all advice and opinions. yes she is very spiteful, a couple of days ago i went to her house (as im not allowed her phone number) to let her know my plans and my daughter was crying for me with her arms out, my gf was waiting in the car but my ex wouldnt let my daughter give me a cuddle until my gf had drove down the street so she wouldnt be able to see my daughter. She seems to think as her mother she has the right to say she can never be apart of my family or allow me to have her. Apart from how controlling and hipocritical she is, is actually a really good mum from what ive seen, my daughters always clean, happy and in nice clothes.

We are currently waiting for our mediation appt... then im going to try the 4 way meetings ive read about as we each have a solictor present who can give legal advice and i think that would help us more than mediation and then if still no agreement press on with court. As i allow know that the courts like you to of tried every other avenue first.

Literally the only thing she has against me is that over the past year ive been late to collect my daughter twice by 5 minutes and the fact i have a picture of both my daughters together because aprently i should of had her permission to allow my 5 months old around my daughter.

That's the thing though, its never really about what you have or haven't done; when ex-partners behave this way, its not rational, but thats because they are acting from emotion and clearly still have issues around the break up of the relationship... even when it was them who were the chief cause of the relationship breaking down. They may not want to be with you, but they don't want anyone else to be with you either. Its all very silly and very sad... alas, alsi very human...
                            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                            oh and also i think i am entitled to legal aid as i dont earn enough from my job. I just really want to do this all as best as possible and if squeezing every penny gets me better results then thats what ill do.
                            I think if you get a good family lawyer, who accepts legal aid, the method by which they get paid, ie from yr pocket ir legal aid coffers, shouldnt have any effect on the level of representation or rather, quality of legal help, that you'll get.

Comment

Hi all,

I have a quick question Re Rights of access by a father in Scotland...

The Childrens Act 1989 may give equal rights to both mother and father but could anyone tell me if this applies in scotland? I have had a look at the Children (scotland) Act 1992 and it would apprear not? It seems Fathers have less right of access.. can anyone clarify?

Ref: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/36/contents

Many Thanks,

C

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X