• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

tax credit overpayment? WTF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax credit overpayment? WTF

So tax credits have written to us. This is a bit silly

In 2009 I had a job until September, and earned 29,000 between april and september

I lost my job in september 2009

I moved in with my (now) wife in April 2010 (12th)

My wife claimed tax credits in 2009-2010 and was awarded her award based on income. In April 2010 we started a joint claim together.

Somehow, the tax credits people now want a whopping £32,000 back off her as they are retrospecifvely applying my 2009-2010 income on our 2010-2011 joint claim to her 2009-2010 single persons claim (3 disabled people, plus childcare, plus working tax).

We have gone through disputes. We have rung and rung. We have done paperwork after paperwork.

All they seem interested in is the fact that some fool inputting data has put my 2009-2010 earnings into the joint claim. Even though her 2009-2010 claim was for a single and I did not live there, they now want the money back. its 'policy' apparently.

HELP!!
    Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
    Tags: None

Re: tax credit overpayment? WTF

Gir im sick of this. investigated all the damn time. mistakes always being made.

does anyone know a really good solicitor who deal with this kind of thing?
    Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Comment

Why not contact your MP and get him/her to do some work for a change?

Comment

Ill give that a go. But he tends to just waffle, agree with you and then do sod all.

Comment

Shamen,

Have a read of this:

If you think the overpayment is incorrect, or that HMRC has made a mistake TaxAid

Comment

OMG Shamen, you poor thing, what a horrible needless mess.

I was entitled to Tax Credits a few years ago, but I decided not to claim them as I had heard of so many nightmares like this. Just didn't want to take the chance tbh.

On that link from Caspar above there is also a section describing your exact circumstances.

Overpayments because HMRC has cancelled your claim by treating you as part of a couple when you were making a claim as a single person (or by treating you as single when you were claiming as part of a couple) TaxAid

Can you categorically prove you were not living together? Are they trying to say they disbelieve you were living apart during the relevant period?
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

This happened to me actually, I requested a face to face meeting with a tax advisor who saw the light so to speak. But it took that meeting!

Comment

Thanks for the links and feedback everyone. We think at this stage we have got them to see the light. There was a twofold problem, first being them applying the couple claim to the single claim and then them applying my 2010-2011 salary to the 2009-2010 period as well. Eventually the wife managed to get hold of a case investigator who seems to have sorted it out (for now). Im not holding my breath as we have had things 'sorted out' in the past, only for them to re-occur later and be told 'the investigator shouldn’t have done that' and everything go back to square one.

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                O
                Can you categorically prove you were not living together? Are they trying to say they disbelieve you were living apart during the relevant period?
                I can indeed prove that, I lived 5000 miles away At first, they acknowledged that I wasnt living there but said that as someone had input my salary the 'computer' had linked it and there was no way to undo it. Thankfully as I said above someone saw sense.

We probably will still have some overpayment for 2010-2011, how much we dont know yet but im sure they will get onto it. My wife is still fighting them on an overpayment they say happened in 2008 - her childcare costs were about £800 a month averaged over the year. They say in their documentation to average it over the year (because obviously childcare costs more in summer when schools are out). However what they actually do in practice is take the lowest monthly amount for any one month and say 'thats how much we will pay' (say its 500 in april, then 1000 in august, they use the £500 from april and say 'you are entitlted to 70% of £500 every month)

Even though their documentation says one thing, they do another and then make us pick up the slack of their problem. It seems even worse now there was a recent court case which said the beneficiary had to pay back HMRC for a mistake on the part of HMRC.

Comment

Shamen,
                  Just to give you a bit of heart, I posted 3 months ago that I'd won an 8 year long battle on behalf of my wife with the DWP for IS overpayment (alleged fraud). We had a letter and a copy of the letter to my MP saying it wa all closed.

Last Saturday we got another letter saying they're collecting it again from her Carer's Allowance. I immediately wrote a very aggressive Letter Before Action. On Monday and Tuesday I played hell with them on the phone and they admitted liability; Yesterday we had a phone call from our MP saying they'd dropped it and they were waiting for it in writing; Today I had a letter saying they'd dropped it and a meeting was being arranged to sort out the out of court settlement.

They can be beaten, so keep fighting. Their wheels move very, very slowly, inter-departmental communication is virtually zero and case records are atrocious. No wonder the Civil Service can amke economy savings! I reckon you could do away with half the jobs and still improve efficiency. Don't lose heart, they do give eventually, but eventually can be a long time!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X