• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Worried. Disciplinary for missing money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried. Disciplinary for missing money

Hi

I am here for advice so I hope you can help and was wondering if a store can fire you on suspicion of theft with no hard evidence. A disciplinary is awaited to be done on me.
    I work for a retail store as a shift manager.
    One day £40 went missing from the safe float. I was the key holder and had responsibility for it BUT I was not the only person to touch the money. I recorded the safe in paper work as being £700 at 6am

After banking some money it is put in a locked safe where access is not allowed until the following day. I banked this money and also changed some change from the safe float. I also ordered some change from an internal post office. (gave her approx £300 from safe float)

Even though I was the only one in the safe float. Money was handled by the post office lady as she dealt with my change order and the following morning the locked away banking was then counted by another lady.

Now I have no idea where this £40 went. But as I was not the only one to physically touch money from that safe.
    I could have
    1) Accidentally given the post office extra money and they didn't declare it and then pocketed it themselves
    2) I could have accidentally left that £40 in the banking (which was locked away until another lady opened it the following morning) If she discovered the extra £40 in banking, she could have taken it and claimed she "hadn't found it"
    3) Even though my till was checked, another lady had left the store earlier in the day. The extra £40 could have been in her till and she didn't declare it and could have pocketed it herself.

When I discovered the money missing bag searches were conducted and recorded on the day of myself and the lady who was counting with me.

I have 13 months service, no previous issues. We have CCTV in the office but no evidence has been presented yet and will not as I did no take it.
    Any idea on if they have proof enough to sack me? I think not as I was not the only person to physically touch that money.

On previous times the safe float has been missing £20-£30 and has been found the next morning in the locked away banking.

Sorry to ramble on, I have worked in retail for 16 years and had no accusation against me before so naturally I am worried.
    Tags: None

Re: Worried. Disciplinary for missing money

Originally posted by Kittycat View Post
    Hi

I am here for advice so I hope you can help and was wondering if a store can fire you on suspicion of theft with no hard evidence. A disciplinary is awaited to be done on me.
    Before the disciplinary, they have to provide you with the evidence that you stole from them.

One day £40 went missing from the safe float. I was the key holder and had responsibility for it BUT I was not the only person to touch the money. I recorded the safe in paper work as being £700 at 6am
    Are you the sole key holder with access to the float?
    After banking some money it is put in a locked safe where access is not allowed until the following day. I banked this money and also changed some change from the safe float. I also ordered some change from an internal post office. (gave her approx £300 from safe float)

Even though I was the only one in the safe float. Money was handled by the post office lady as she dealt with my change order and the following morning the locked away banking was then counted by another lady.

Now I have no idea where this £40 went. But as I was not the only one to physically touch money from that safe.
    I could have
    1) Accidentally given the post office extra money and they didn't declare it and then pocketed it themselvesThe til would have been balanced each day and the discrepancy noted.

2) I could have accidentally left that £40 in the banking (which was locked away until another lady opened it the following morning) If she discovered the extra £40 in banking, she could have taken it and claimed she "hadn't found it"Again, for what reason would she do that?

3) Even though my till was checked, another lady had left the store earlier in the day. The extra £40 could have been in her till and she didn't declare it and could have pocketed it herself.Why are you looking to cast aspersions on someone else?

When I discovered the money missing bag searches were conducted and recorded on the day of myself and the lady who was counting with me.

I have 13 months service, no previous issues. We have CCTV in the office but no evidence has been presented yet and will not as I did no take it.
    Any idea on if they have proof enough to sack me? I think not as I was not the only person to physically touch that money.

On previous times the safe float has been missing £20-£30 and has been found the next morning in the locked away banking.

Sorry to ramble on, I have worked in retail for 16 years and had no accusation against me before so naturally I am worried.

They have to have proof of theft to sack you. Is this standard procedure to suspend someone if the float is short?
    Have you had any other discrepancies on your shift that you are responsible for?
    Is suspension something that is normally done when this happens?
    Currently suspicion of an offence is not evidence that theft has occurred.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Are you the sole key holder with access to the float?

I could have
      1) Accidentally given the post office extra money and they didn't declare it and then pocketed it themselvesThe til would have been balanced each day and the discrepancy noted.

2) I could have accidentally left that £40 in the banking (which was locked away until another lady opened it the following morning) If she discovered the extra £40 in banking, she could have taken it and claimed she "hadn't found it"Again, for what reason would she do that?

3) Even though my till was checked, another lady had left the store earlier in the day. The extra £40 could have been in her till and she didn't declare it and could have pocketed it herself.Why are you looking to cast aspersions on someone else?

Personally, if I was being accused of theft and I was innocent........and the money really has gone (i.e. stolen and not found banked incorrectly somewhere....then I would definitely be trying to work out who had stolen it. Not casting aspersions, defending my innocence.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

As many of you know, I work for a well known bookmakers. I have to say that one more than one occasion when money has gone missing from a shop, i.e in a "robbery" which was obviously an inside job of some description due to locks not being forced etc, the whole of the shop staff have been suspended pending investigations. Then, if the company has been unable to prove which one took the money or was involved, they have sacked all of the shop staff. Not so much innocent until proven guilty, but guilty until proven innocent.

They drag in the Security Team, check the CCTV etc. When th staff are interviewed for statements etc, it's "under caution", everything is recorded, notes taken etc.

Having said that, daily cash differences would not always be a sacking offence, per se, but every cash difference on each till, per person, is recorded, even if it's only 1p. Get 3 of over £10, whether up or down, in 3 months then this would attract a Stage 2 for 6 months. A further cash diff of £10 within the next 6 months would gain a Stage 3, then dismissal if there's another one.

The manager of the shop is also held ultimately responsible for any cash differences, for example, slow counters, conmen, banking etc.
        Is no longer here

Comment

Two things. Firstly Wendy's reply scares me - it makes me wonder how they would stand if someone contested being sacked as unfair dismissal.

Secondly, I wonder what you mean by internal Post Office? Is it a trade term, or do you actually bank money at a PO? Excuse my ignorance. It's just that we had an issue over £20 at our PO last week - we'd paid in £120 and they were busy. They asked how much there was and my better half said £100 (innocent mistake). The Postmaster, knowing her, just put the money in the till. She went straight back up and was told to come back the next morning after they'd balanced their books. Fair enough!

Next morning, no balanced books, come back next morning. This went on for four working days and eventually the PO handed back my £20, but had we been less persistent I wonder what would have happened. what I'm saying is that although Leclerc quite rightly says the books would be balanced at the end of the day, in reality not all do.
          Last edited by Caspar; 1st June 2011, 07:48:AM. Reason: Typo and added last sentence

Comment

Scares me too Caspar, but that's the way it is. I have to say, if I were sacked for the reasons above, i.e if money had gone missing after a robbery and all the staff were under suspicion then sacked, if I knew it wasn't me then I would definitely take them to a tribunal. Obviously in these cases the staff can appeal against the dismissal and some of them no doubt get reinstated without going to Tribunal. I have no statistics for this though. I know of at least 3 shops that this has happened in and all the staff have been sacked. Presumably the ones who don't appeal the dismissal are the guilty ones....
            Last edited by WendyB; 31st May 2011, 23:54:PM.
            Is no longer here

Comment

The Employer does not need absolute proof, they can justify their actions via a 'reasonable response'.
              This doesn't necessarily mean reasonable in the ordinary sense, but to explain any disciplinary action, they need to provide an explanation which is understood by a Tribunal as an action to 'safeguard' their commercial interests, or their reputation, or a thousand other things!
              As it is not a 'criminal' scenario (I may have misunderstood, but it doesn't seem like the police have been involved), they do not need proof 'beyond reasonable doubt', just 'balance of probabilities'.
              My advice would be:-
              Ensure that all possible evidence is secured. CCTV footage is often available at tills as well.
              Contact your union rep (if you have one).
              Contact ACAS.
              http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
              Obtain a copy of your company's Disciplinary & Grievance guide, & compare it with the ACAS guide (it should be at least as good as the ACAS one, which is available online).
              If you feel it is necessary, raise an official grievance.
              & remember the rule - everything in writing (email is brilliant - instant, & doesn't cost!)
              If you 'take charge' of your end of things, your employer may well see you mean business & decide that, for £40, it's not worth the aggro (it will cost them a great deal more than that if it goes to Employment Tribunal!)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thought I had updated this.

Well I had the disciplinary back in June and was given a first written warning, The manager interviewing me could see I was truly sorry for the fact I had lost it and I told her I had plans to stop it happening again. She had to follow procedure and give me a first written warning as money was lost, money I was in charge of.
                I accepted the decision as it was correct

Comment

Although not involved in the original thread, I am pleased it's worked out possible, you've been realistic, put it down to experience and got on with life.

Well done you!

Comment

test
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X