• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another HFC/Restons claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another HFC/Restons claim

I don't know all the various card owners, and the question then is :-

Is the GE credit card issued by HFC bank? If it is then you won't have a Notice of assignment the OC still owns the account. This is only applicable if the debt has been sold in absolute (not just equitable) to the claimant which in your case is HFC. Restons are not a dca or debt purchasers they are the solicitors representing the claimant.

If you serve the CPR and they fail to supply you can apply to the court to order that they do, if the fail you may also be able to apply to the courts to strike out the claim.
    Like I said only you know all the intimate details of your own case.

regards
    Garlok

Comment

There is nothing at this moment that you can do to stop the process. You have to respond to the claim pack because if you don't it will go ahead without you and they will get a judgement against you. Do as suggested, acknowledge within the 14 days then you will have a further 14 days to submit a defence.
      Is no longer here

Comment

The DN is quite likely to be faulty.
        The default sum notices will most likely be worded incorrectly.
        They most likely will not have the original agreement, however they will supply several different application forms, if you have the original statements you should check the interest rates quoted very carefully.
        When submitting your 31.14 request for documentation make sure you use the phrase from their POC, they will do their best to avoid producing documents.
        Personally, if I had my time over, I would check the DN very carefully, if it is found to be wanting then I would try to get a strike out as they have no cause of action. I would be careful not to show I had the original at this time but would put the claimant to strict proof that a valid DN was issued. Then let them produce some ballcocks & hit them with the real thing, once you have submitted a defence it is harder for them to come back at you again.

Watch your enemy, they are slippery little blighters.

Comment

Please bear in mind that, if they fail to comply with your CPR 31.14 request or, 31.15 request.
          You can apply to the court for an extension but you will have to ask the claimant for permission to do so.

In any event, you cannot submit a defence until you are in receipt of all documents upon which the claimant relies upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
            Please bear in mind that, if they fail to comply with your CPR 31.14 request or, 31.15 request.
            You can apply to the court for an extension but you will have to ask the claimant for permission to do so.

In any event, you cannot submit a defence until you are in receipt of all documents upon which the claimant relies upon.
            Other than an "embarrassed" defence in which the defendant points out the failure of the claimant to submit the proofs required in a timely manner or, indeed, at all?

Comment

Absolutely, CC, some sort of defence must be submitted, because if no defence at all is submitted then there is the very real risk of Judgement being found for the claimant and Kentish ending up with a CCJ, as I pointed out earlier in the thread. I think there is a "holding" defence on here somewhere that you could probably use, and adapt to fit your circumstances. I believe you have until around the 20th June to submit the defence?
              Is no longer here

Comment

Please, see 15.5 of the following:
                PART 15 - DEFENCE AND REPLY - Ministry of Justice

Comment

If you took out your card in the 1990s they won't be able to supply a copy of the agreement - HFC bank moved office and chucked out all the agreements in the process. My husband partially challenged a CCJ - basically all the stuff they were claiming - collection fees, contractual interest - everything that 'would have been' in the orginal agreement as they could not prove their contractual right to it.

If you dispute the claim then you'll gain time as it will be moved to your local court - so I'd fire off the standard 'supply me with a copy of the contract' letter and defend the claim.

Restons are extremely unlikely to be the owners of the debt - they are HFC's rottweilers and rely on collection fees and contractual interest etc to make their money - in my husbands case they were a complete and utter shambles - ill prepared in court, tested the judges patience to busting, figures were all wrong. They also use local solicitors when claims are defended which seems to add a layer of complexity that completely buggers them up! nasty bunch though - be meticulous in your preparation have your papers and artefacts all filed in chronological order with references / evidences clearly annotated - Restons wont!

So check the details of the claim - in that will be the reason for disputing and defending it - contractual interest pursuant to judgement - unless they can produce the contract then how can you 'audit' the claim eh? AUDIT is a good word to use - courts recognise it. Collection fee - likely to be a % of the claim and therefore unreasonable and representing a penalty fee - 2 reasons for defending the claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X