• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Item not fit neither for purpose nor in the car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Item not fit neither for purpose nor in the car

Dear Beagles,
    In February I bought a repalcement (not original or OEM) car part from known retialer's branch. I had some work done to the car in a garage and part of that work was to replace the item bought.
    They returned the part and said they could not fit it.
    I put it in the cupboard until April's easter holidays when I got a week off to do additional work on the car.
    During the week I did all my other works and at he end I decided to try to fit the car part in question.
    It is a simple push fit and I was surprised when it would not get in position.
    I compared it with the original car part and it appeared that the replacement part was slightly wider and for that reason no effort woul make it fit in position.
    I went to the retialers branch to return this and another part which also proved faulty.
    The retailer refunded the opther part with no questions asked.
    The part in question he refused to refund as it was more than 30 days as per their T&C's and referred me to the head office.
    I wrote a letter to tehir head of customer support and they also rejct my claim for refund and state that as per their T&C they are unable to refund. THey feel that 90 days is sufficient time to notify them that the part is incorrect and as this is beyond 90 days the only option is providing replacement.
    I have already bought the part in question from the original manufacturer and do not want replacement as it can not be guaranteed it will fit.

Where do I stand. BTW it is not 90 days but around 75 days since purchase when I attempted to return the part that does not fit.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Item not fit neither for purpose nor in the car

Have a read of this. I think it answers your question. It's a Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet:

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet - BIS

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. I have already read the facts sheet. What confuses me is the reasonable time for inherently faulty item.
      Is my only option to seek damages through the court as I do not want replacement.
      Item cost is about 25£ but it is the principle in question.
      The part is physically wider than the oifice in which it should fit and it is impossible to force it in as it is rigid.

Comment

If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

Seems pretty clear to me!

Comment

I do not want replacement or repair.

Comment

Sorry - only skim read it! How about this bit, still referring to 6 months:

Proof of purchase? Shops will often tell you they will only give a refund on production of proof of purchase. Don’t be misled into thinking this must be a till receipt. It can be a bank or credit card statement, although you may run into difficulties if it is for a different amount than that of the item you are trying to return.
            If the item is damaged, the shop cannot say they will only refund on the basis of a till receipt. However you must have proof of purchase of some kind – particularly if it was bought recently and you want to show that the damage wasn’t caused by continued use or wear and tear over time.

Comment

Yes I have proof of purchase. What I am looking for is the actual statute bit which backs my position. They already responded they will only replace. At the end I may have to accept replacement and if that turns to be the wrong size...

Comment

It's there, but unfortunately under Section 48D1 you have failed to give them time to replace the goods and so would be deemed to be in breach of the contract. You therefore have to rely on the sellers goodwill which may mean having a spare of whatever it is. They will not be under an obligation to refund until you give them reasonable time to replace the part.

HOWEVER you have six months - it's all around the same part of the act, so you may yet have time to let them try to replace it - if they can't, then obviously they have to refund you.

Just Google Sale of Goods Act 1979 and it all comes up. Go to this section and it is clearly set out.

Comment

I have asked for replacement with guarantee the new part will fit. Alternatively I said I will accept credit note to the price of the item to be used in their shop. Will update and thanks for the help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X