• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What are the options when you receive a Utility Bill you cannot pay ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the options when you receive a Utility Bill you cannot pay ?

I've recently received a massive Utility Bill from E.ON that I simply cannot afford to pay. I've spoken to E.ON about this but the only options they gave me were monthly instalments that I know I cannot afford.

I explained to them that I am in an IVA and that all my monthly outgoings are accounted for, but E.ON refuse to budge. I'm not really sure what my next steps may be.

I have noted that some Gas suppliers subscribe to various schemes to help thos in financial hardship - but sadly E.ON do not seem to subscribe to any of those schemes. Also, since I am in full-time employment (as is the OH) then I cannot see that I would be classed as being in Financial Hardhsip - despite the fact that I am just over two years into an IVA.

I would like to know what other options /avenues I have open to me (if indeed there are any at all), or hear of others experiences with E.ON if they have been in this situation with them.

I'm truly stumped on this one. I have kept to all agreements since starting on the IVA (including the IVA itself) but can't see how to find money that I simpy don't have.

Cheers
    Tags: None

Re: What are the options when you receive a Utility Bill you cannot pay ?

Hi Jester

How did this huge bill come about? Is it just for the last quarter or a lot longer than that?

Also has this happened as a result of estimated bills being sent and then finally a meter reading being taken?

Crispy

Comment

Originally posted by Crispybacon View Post
      Hi Jester

How did this huge bill come about? Is it just for the last quarter or a lot longer than that?

Also has this happened as a result of estimated bills being sent and then finally a meter reading being taken?

Crispy
      I am billed on a 6 monthly basis rather than quarterly because I pay in monthly instalments. The huge bill is a simply a combination of rising energy prices and the fact that it covers the Winter period - whioch is when we all turn the Gas on to keep warm.

It probably is due to an actual meter reading rather than an estimate too which doesn't help !!

Comment

Ok, so its definately only usage for the last 6 months?

When was the last time you had an actual confirmed reading rather than an estimate?

In your budget would the amount of money you put aside on a monthly basis be enough to pay your electic over the course of a year?

Comment

It's twice what my last bill was and it is an actual meter reading. The sums of money I put toward the bill used to cover it. I wasn't expecting that the monies being paid towards it were no longer enough.

And it's a Gas bill not an electric one !!!

Comment

i got hit with a massive bill 2 or 3 years ago. I was unable to afford the ongoing + payment toward the debt and ended up having token meters fitted (my bill was £1k gas and £2k electric for around 6 months

The only option my provider would offer was token meters/ or sequestration

It was a very stressful time, but i can honestly say, the thought of never having another 'surprise' bill landing on my mat is a relief.

The debt is paid back through the meter at £7/wk each, + whatever we use is paid in advance.

it made us a lot more conciencious about our fuel usage, and i put approx £25 elec and £20 gas on per week (that total includes the £7 toward the debt on each so you can take £14 off and that makes me about £31/wk combined)

It seemed like it was going to be a hassle topping up regularly, but, the benefits out way the hassle.

And before anyone says it, NO, we do not pay a premium for having token meters, our unit prices are the same as everyone else, and the only extra i pay is toward the debt.

Hope this helps

Comment

I'd have thought either prepayment meters, or (and I don't know whether they still do this or whether Eon ever did) I was once in this position. They "wrote off" the debt giving me a fresh start on realistic monthly payments for my usage, then let me pay off the bit "written off" in very small installments over ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                It's twice what my last bill was and it is an actual meter reading. The sums of money I put toward the bill used to cover it. I wasn't expecting that the monies being paid towards it were no longer enough.

And it's a Gas bill not an electric one !!!
                Was it read correctly and correctly applied to your account?

If the meter measures cubic feet and the bill is in cubic meters, then obviously the number of units used needs to be converted for the bill to make sense.

Errors of that sort are not unknown for E.oN

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X