• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Help with discrimination and home legal cover and more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with discrimination and home legal cover and more

Hi all,

I would please like some help with my grievance at work / potential employment tribunal, which is driving me mad and taken over my life like I imagine it does to most people.

I am a public sector employee, actually not an employee but somebody who is a crown servant/holds office of C (I am sure you gurus know what I mean)

I have what I feel is a strong discrimination case. The strong case is based on my perception and I am a novice and obviously in need of a legal opinion.

I have exhausted all interal grievance procedures and than some more! There is not going to be a resolution at work and that is definite.

I thought I was privileged by being part of something similar to a union who use one of the best law firms around. Unfortunately a senior member of this union type is refusing me a legal opinion unless I can tell him exactly what laws are being broken. He told me this only when I finally got through to him after weeks of emails, phonecalls and letters. I am getting sidetracked here but his behaviour has been disgraceful for someone in such a position of authority. I unfortunately cannot tell him the exact laws nroken by my organisation.

I am therefore finding some heavy weight employment law firms in London and looking to private fund (it is highly possible I may not be able to afford this) or use my home legal cover. I have AA home insurance and here is an extract from the policy, which is confusing me:

4. Employment
    We
    cover the following:

Legal costs
    for pursuing legal proceedings arising from a dispute with

your
    employer as an employee under your contract of employment.

We
    do not cover the following:
    Any claim relating to:
    disputes under a contract of employment which occur within 90 days of the
    start date of this Legal Expenses policy;

the Equal Pay Act 1970 (or amending laws);
    travelling expenses, allowances or compensation payments for being off
    work; or

any disciplinary procedures brought against
    you by your employer, or any

internal grievances brought by
    you.

What I would like to know is whether this covers me taking my organisation to an employment tribunal for a discrimination case, namely a disability one where I have already raised the issue as an internal grievance. The wording seems bizarre as surely you have to raise a grievance and exhaust all internal procedures before litigation?

Can somebody help with the home legal cover extract please?

I would also like to know if you guys can recommend on this forum? I am looking for a real heavy weight solicitor / law firm as any employment tribunal I have is likely to be a closed hearing (I am sure you legal Gurus would know why and I cannot go into it too much on a public forum)

So far I will be contacting Bindman, Equal Justice (formerly Lawrence Davies co). I know Russel Jones and Walker have a great reputation and are the ones used by what I have similar to a union but cannot get through to them due to the poor union themselves!

Any advice and I mean any at all to the above would be hugely appreicated.

Many Thanks in Advance

Prism
    Tags: None

Re: Help with discrimination and home legal cover and more

Best thing I can suggest is to simply ring the AA and ask them whether the insurance covers you or not. It's their policy, so surely they would be the best ones to ask. If they say no, then ask them to point out the specific terms in the policy which preclude the cover.
    Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
      Best thing I can suggest is to simply ring the AA and ask them whether the insurance covers you or not. It's their policy, so surely they would be the best ones to ask. If they say no, then ask them to point out the specific terms in the policy which preclude the cover.
      Hi WendyB

Thanks for your post

If I go direct to AA then they are going to want to fully assess the case before deciding whether they will fund it. For this reason I want a legal opinion before I approach them. I won't get a yes / no on the phone from them for this reason.

Comment

Try http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Also, this might help:-

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Btw - you no longer have to go through the whole Grievance Procedure in order to submit an ET claim (since 6th April 2009) see the ACAS site (link above).
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys

I have spoken to a solicitor and my insurance company - I am definitely not covered for legal expenses from my home insurers as I am a crown servant and technically not an employee.

Comment

Hi Prism,

I am somewhat puzzled as to what you wish to achieve here, but I appreciate that you probably don't want to post details on a public forum.
                However, my info is that Crown servants are covered by sect. 191 of the ERA 1996 (with the possible exceptions of redundancy payments & minimum notice).
                Other discrimination legislation may cover various aspects, & these would best be resourced from the Equality & Human Rights website.
                If your situation involves 'whistle-blowing', see the ACAS site.
                As for funding, you could think about 'no win no fee', or third party funding.
                However, if it is a personal issue, and the Employment Tribunal has jurisdiction, the outlay will only be your expenses (unless the claim is vexatious, or has 'no prospect' & you are determined to proceed.)
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Can after the event insurance be useful here? Not had much experience with it myself but my mother is considering it for her upcoming high court judicial review against the nhs.
                  Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X