• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Collectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Collectors

Hi,

Can anyone advise if there is a code of conduct that debt collectors have to abide by?

If so, can anyone point me in the direction of it please.

Im having dealings with a one man band debt collector and I think he has gone about the issue wrong but I need to compare it with any regulations.

Thanks

Re: Debt Collectors

Document issued for debt collectors by the oft

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...dit/oft664.pdf

Comment

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/d_bailiffs.pdf

Not sure if this helps but is from the citizens advice on dealing with bailiffs

Comment

Cool thanks very much

Comment

Thank you. Prob I have is that I dont know if this guy is a certified bailiff etc or not.

He was coming for a bounced DD for a vehicle that is leased and he said he would remove the vehicle.

Does anyone know if they have to be a member of anything to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Minxer View Post
            Thank you. Prob I have is that I dont know if this guy is a certified bailiff etc or not.

He was coming for a bounced DD for a vehicle that is leased and he said he would remove the vehicle.

Does anyone know if they have to be a member of anything to do this?
            So, is it a bailiff or a debt collector? How much is still outstanding? Is he only chasing for one missed payment?

Comment

Hi Amy,

Ive no idea, checked the name on companies house and it's classed as debt collector.

When it was issued to him, there was only one missed payment (and that was because they had taken penalty charges out by DD so there wasnt enough money to pay the proper payment)

The account has now been brought up to date so he doesnt take the vehicle but I dont think he went about the process right.

Had to pay £470 for 2 phonecalls he made!

Can a debt collector act as a bailiff?
              Last edited by Minxer; 1st November 2007, 13:47:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Who did you pay £470 to? What is the name of the DCA?

Comment

Paid the £470 plus the bounced DD to the vehicle leasing company...if the £470 wasnt paid he would still come and get vehicle.

Comment

Ok, so the outstanding amount was £470, which you paid direct to the company the loan is with and not the DCA?

Comment

The outstanding amount was approx £1,200 (this included £250 for referring to DCA and then £470 DCA charges - for 2 phonecalls). It's a vehicle leasing company who deal with the leasing of the vehicle.

I just wondered if the DCA had the right to take the vehicle back as it seems like the kind of thing a bailiff would do.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X