• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CPP Ltd...Who are these people???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPP Ltd...Who are these people???

I hope someone can help me with this...

Was talking to my 85 year old Mum last night and she told me about a Direct Debit - to the tune of £53 - that had been taken from her Nasty West Bank account on 9 March this year. She discovered this when checking her bank statement and all it says next to it is CPP Ltd. She phoned the bank and they told her that they had no idea who these CPP people were, so she told them to cancel the DD and they said they would. Since then there doesn't appear to have been any more money taken, but I don't think that the £53 has been refunded. :suspicious:

Thing with this is that I don't believe for one second that Nat West don't know who CPP Ltd are, particularly as when I Googled it I found out in about three seconds!!! :typing:

Is this another case of trying to take advantage of the elderly? If so they've picked the wrong one in my Mum. She might be 85 but she has - to use her own words - got all her chairs at home, and all her buttons fastened... Daft old lady she is not!!!

Anyway what I'd like to know is how can CPP do this without the account holders permission/knowledge, and what's the best way to perhaps give them a verbal shin-kicking and a bit of the old 'wet fish' treatment? :fish:

All suggestions welcome!!!
    Why me?
    Tags: None

Re: CPP Ltd...Who are these people???

There is a Direct Debit Guarantee here is the info about it

Direct Debit is the only payment method with a money back guarantee.

The Direct Debit Guarantee
    This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits.
    If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit (insert your organisation name)will notify you (insert number of) working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request (insert your organisation name) to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
    If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by (insert your organisation name) or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.
    If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when (insert your organisation name) asks you to
    You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required.

Comment

Whoever your mother talked to is a dumbass cos that CPP is Card Protection Payment which is the company currently under investigation by the FSA over dodgy practices.
      I would suggest that at 85 years of age that she may well have had this for some time and may pay it every 3 years rather than yearly.
      Had the bank used the tools they have available and I know exactly where to look on their systems(if you speak to the branch then they need to use a system called back office, using these codes, 04, 29(direct debits as it might be 28) they then need to put a "v" next to the direct debit to CPP which will allow them to view the payment dates and the date it was set up.

NatWest customer charter is working a treat with these fools!!!

CPP
      CPP Life Assistance Products

FSA investigation:
      BBC News - CPP shares plunge on FSA investigation
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Ah hah!!! Very useful information! Thanks for that leclerc... :hail:

I'll be speaking to Mum in a day or so, so I'll get her to check her old statements. This won't be too difficult as she never throws things like that away... :madgrin:

(There's a saying in Birmingham, when you get into the car of someone who smokes and fag-ash is flowing over the carpets,etc..."I'll have to buy a new car, the ashtray's full..."
        It's the same with Mum's house and her paperwork...)

I know she's had to change her debit card a couple of times during the last year or so, so it's probably linked up to all that. I think she had to ring up to activate the card(s) and I've heard there's some sort of connection with that. It's still all a bit stinky though...and underhand...and cheeky... :tung:
        Why me?

Comment

Might some shonky bounder at the Nazi West bank "signed her up" without her knowledge or consent?

Comment

If it's any use, CPP cover the mobile phone and travel insurance which comes free with the Natwest Advantage Gold account. There's no monthly dd to CPP for this though, so it's probably not the same thing.
            Is no longer here

Comment

All appears to be OK folks!!!

Have spoken to Mum again and she's been in touch - again again :dizzy: - with Nasty West and it seems that CPP now handle her card and key cover instead of Marks and Sparks. The DD that she paid is for the next three years...
              It would have been nice though if M&S had informed her of the change.... :fish:

However Mum has made it perfectly clear that she's not impressed, and has received profuse apologies about lack of notification etc, etc, etc.

But without a crystal ball you're bolloxed.......

Thanks to all who have helped and given advice. :tea:
              Why me?

Comment

I used to work here, cpp work for all the high street banks and storecards people receive their credit/debit/store cards in the post with a sticker on saying "call this number to confirm safe receipt" and would mistake this for call to activate the card.. people also thought they were calling the bank or card provider not cpp.. just to name a few we dealt with all RBS, Halifax, Alliance and leicester, HSBC, Barclays, marks and spencers, Tesco credit card, Argos store card, yorkshire and clyesdale bank.. and all the leading mobile phone providers aswel the list is endless we probably had about 400 in total from Debenhams to Tmobile.. we would have to sell different products such as mobile phone insurance, card protection, identity protection, handbag cover.. the product sold was depending on who the card was with so if it was debenhams store card we was told to offer handbag cover that covered everything in the bag even cosmetics and perfume.. and it was a complete and utter scam hence why i left and why they are currently under investigation for selling products there is actually no need for. It was scary how easy it was to miss sell to customers tell your mom to complain and get her money back it really is disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Why me? View Post
                  I hope someone can help me with this...

Was talking to my 85 year old Mum last night and she told me about a Direct Debit - to the tune of £53 - that had been taken from her Nasty West Bank account on 9 March this year. She discovered this when checking her bank statement and all it says next to it is CPP Ltd. She phoned the bank and they told her that they had no idea who these CPP people were, so she told them to cancel the DD and they said they would. Since then there doesn't appear to have been any more money taken, but I don't think that the £53 has been refunded. :suspicious:

Thing with this is that I don't believe for one second that Nat West don't know who CPP Ltd are, particularly as when I Googled it I found out in about three seconds!!! :typing:

Is this another case of trying to take advantage of the elderly? If so they've picked the wrong one in my Mum. She might be 85 but she has - to use her own words - got all her chairs at home, and all her buttons fastened... Daft old lady she is not!!!

Anyway what I'd like to know is how can CPP do this without the account holders permission/knowledge, and what's the best way to perhaps give them a verbal shin-kicking and a bit of the old 'wet fish' treatment? :fish:

All suggestions welcome!!!
                  I had the same problem, only I bank with Barclays and after canceling my direct debit they put me through to CPP. Turns out they collect the payment for Marks & Spencer "cardsafe" (53 pounds bi-annually) - maybe your mother uses that service?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X