• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

I really would like advice and opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really would like advice and opinions

Hi guys, I am new here and thought this may be the place for me to get an objective answer on how i should proceed with a matter relating to a former employer. I will try and keep it reasonably brief:

I started the job in 2007 and always received outstanding reviews, i was recognised as a hard worker who gave 110% but throughout my employment there was a colleague whos behaviour was unacceptable and amounted to bullying. I never lost my temper in dealing with her, but there came a point nearly 3 years later where her attacks changed from verbal to include a physical element and it was then that i decided to raise a grievance.

My doctor signed me off work with work related stress and my counsellor concurred with this decision. Knowing that i was in a vulnerable position the company (which promotes itsel fas being one of the most social and ethical in the country) consistently went upto 6 weeks without updating me, failed to conduct an investigation at the first stage, yet concluded there was no need to take further action and later disciplined me on the basis of malicious allegations that were raised by the bully AFTER my grievance had been submitted and only 2 weeks after a good performace review (where any legitimate concerns would have been raised)

I pursued an unfair dismissal claim and settled out of court but i feel that (an have evidence to prove) i have been unfairly treated, my emplyer acted negligently towards me in respect of my health and safety and theit duty of care requirements and i suffered a great amount of uneccesary distress as a result.

There are many smaller incidents within the overall story that back up my feelings, like not being contacted for 6 weeks following a grievance meeting (despite originally agreeing a return to work date, which passed with no correspondence) and when i called to follow up i was told that a letter was in the post suspending me pending investigations into allegations that had been made against me. promised that are recorded in minuted are continually broken and i am appauled at the way i have been treated by such a company.

Please ask any questions, and please be honest - i need to know how to proceed or whether to cut my losses. I dont want to do the latter as i feel they need to be made aware of the consequences of treating their staff so appaulingly. Any advice appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: I really would like advice and opinions

Originally posted by Selena View Post
    Hi guys, I am new here and thought this may be the place for me to get an objective answer on how i should proceed with a matter relating to a former employer. I will try and keep it reasonably brief:

I started the job in 2007 and always received outstanding reviews, i was recognised as a hard worker who gave 110% but throughout my employment there was a colleague whos behaviour was unacceptable and amounted to bullying. I never lost my temper in dealing with her, but there came a point nearly 3 years later where her attacks changed from verbal to include a physical element and it was then that i decided to raise a grievance.

My doctor signed me off work with work related stress and my counsellor concurred with this decision. Knowing that i was in a vulnerable position the company (which promotes itsel fas being one of the most social and ethical in the country) consistently went upto 6 weeks without updating me, failed to conduct an investigation at the first stage, yet concluded there was no need to take further action and later disciplined me on the basis of malicious allegations that were raised by the bully AFTER my grievance had been submitted and only 2 weeks after a good performace review (where any legitimate concerns would have been raised)

I pursued an unfair dismissal claim and settled out of court but i feel that (an have evidence to prove) i have been unfairly treated, my emplyer acted negligently towards me in respect of my health and safety and theit duty of care requirements and i suffered a great amount of uneccesary distress as a result.

There are many smaller incidents within the overall story that back up my feelings, like not being contacted for 6 weeks following a grievance meeting (despite originally agreeing a return to work date, which passed with no correspondence) and when i called to follow up i was told that a letter was in the post suspending me pending investigations into allegations that had been made against me. promised that are recorded in minuted are continually broken and i am appauled at the way i have been treated by such a company.

Please ask any questions, and please be honest - i need to know how to proceed or whether to cut my losses. I dont want to do the latter as i feel they need to be made aware of the consequences of treating their staff so appaulingly. Any advice appreciated

AFAIK. the bit in bold is the result. From reading the above, they would not have settled if they did not want to and that you are better to be out of that company. Have you know found new employment?
    Are you happy in that employment?

As an aside, we all know that what comes around goes around so no doubt she WILL get what she is due in the course of time.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Presumably you were happy to settle out of court otherwise why settle.

I don't understand what else you want to happen or how you will achieve it since you have already settled your claim.

Comment

As you have settled then I presume you have signed some sort of agreement on the settlement?

Comment

I concur with the above advice - usually, when you have settled out of court, you cannot take further action for the same complaint.
          Is there some 'new' complaint or evidence?
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Also, in employment matters, the Employment Tribunal usually has jurisdiction.
            But you will usually have a 3 month time limit (from the incident, or the 'last straw' in a series of incidents) in which to raise your complaint
            Last edited by charitynjw; 24th March 2011, 12:33:PM. Reason: Can't spell!!
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X