• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax and refusal to consider I&E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax and refusal to consider I&E

Hi, I don't know if anyone will have had experience of this - or know the legal position - but Halifax have refused point blank to consider my I&E unless it is produced by a Debt Advice Agency.

I produced it with the verbal assistance of National Debtline on a "self help" basis and they confirmed to me that the figures in my expenditure sheet are within the parameters of the Common Financial Statement. I have pointed this out to the Halifax but they still refuse to deal with it.

Is there some obligation to deal fairly with your customers and take their circumstances into account?

Any pointers as to what I should write to them next would be very much appreciated ....... :beagle:
    Tags: None

Re: Halifax and refusal to consider I&E

Originally posted by chrissiej View Post
    Hi, I don't know if anyone will have had experience of this - or know the legal position - but Halifax have refused point blank to consider my I&E unless it is produced by a Debt Advice Agency.

I produced it with the verbal assistance of National Debtline on a "self help" basis and they confirmed to me that the figures in my expenditure sheet are within the parameters of the Common Financial Statement. I have pointed this out to the Halifax but they still refuse to deal with it.

Is there some obligation to deal fairly with your customers and take their circumstances into account?

Any pointers as to what I should write to them next would be very much appreciated ....... :beagle:
    Ermm, what are they doing?

Halifax signed up to The Lending Code which under section 9 "financial Hardship" starts with this sentence:

"137. Subscribers should be sympathetic and positive when considering a customer’s financial difficulties. Although there is
    an onus on customers to try to help themselves, the first step, when a subscriber becomes aware of a customer’s
    financial difficulties, should be to try to contact the customer to discuss the matter. This applies to both personal and
    micro-enterprise customers. "

Give me 30 seconds while I edit this post with an I&E that they WILL accept as well.

EDIT: I can't find the one I was looking for but they should accept or send out an income and expenditure form to allow you to complete one of their own forms if they refuse to accept one already completed by you.
    Last edited by leclerc; 20th March 2011, 14:13:PM.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Furthermore the BBA Leaflet "Dealing with Debt" as outlined in the Lending code section 143 specifically states that the income and expenditure form you send it should be acceptable on page 14 of "Dealing with Debt"

"2. Contact your bank to let them know if you
      think you might be getting into financial
      difficulties. Discuss the matter with your bank
      and ask how they can help.
      3. Draw up a budget. Make a list of all your debts
      and prepare a statement of your financial
      position, detailing your income and expenditure
      and how much you owe."

Comment

I had exactly thesame with nat west an absolute refusal to deal with my situation and accpet a plan unless it came through an official dma

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
          I had exactly thesame with nat west an absolute refusal to deal with my situation and accpet a plan unless it came through an official dma
          I would still argue that the lending code does not compel you to go through an official DMA. I think the new lending code should make things better for you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I will write to them again and try to get them to look at my I&E which they have had since early November 2010. I will probably try and get the whole thing taken over by someone like the National Debtline charity anyway as it looks as though that makes the whole thing considerably easier.

I found the CFS spreadsheet on this site which is brilliant because it gives the CFS figures which of course nobody will tell you ........ even if you ask nicely!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On with the fight!!

:fencing:

Comment

OK, have written again to Halifax this time as a formal complaint that although they have acknowledged receipt of my letter of 1st November which included income, expenditure, liabilities and offer of payment, they have refused to deal with it. Have asked for backdated reversal of interest and penalties since 1st November - will wait their response! :beagle:

Comment

Result!! Got two letters today from the Halifax.

First one says "sorry" and they have refunded my cr card with £800 interest/charges, suspended all future interest/charges, accepted my I&E and payment proposal, not only that but they are sending me a cheque for £25 for my trouble.

Second letter really explains why ........ they have responded to my CCA request by saying that they can't verify my signature and would I please sign in the box on the enclosed letter .......

Now, do I suspect that they are about to do a stitch up job on my original agreement ........ :tinysmile_hmm_t2: ???????

Needless to say I have written back to say that they are corresponding with me at my usual address and they can see my signature is my usual one (even though I signed over the top of my typed name so they can't "cut and paste").

Next instalment awaited.

Comment

A great first result and good on you for telling them that they are talking billhooks on the second bit.
                  :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::c heer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X