• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car crash advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car crash advice

Last friday I had a bit of a bump with a van driver. We collided wing mirrors, so they obviously both got smashed. I say it's his fault, he says it's mine, as per usual :rolleyes: So I'd assume the insurance companies will agree 50/50 as there were no witnesses etc.

I'm quite happy to pay for my own damage, and I've got a letter from them stating the same, so thats not really a problem. The only thing that I'm a bit worried about is the letter they sent me (attached) which asserts that their driver says "I was speeding and I could've moved over".

Basically what I want is to make sure that it's clear that I accept NO responsibility for the accident, but I'm happy to pay for my own damage.

This is what I've written:

I write with reference to your letter dated 19th October 2007.

I would like to point out that although your driver alleges that I was speeding, I most certainly was not, in fact I was not going more than 30mph, as I had previously slowed down to allow a lorry though a smaller gap on the same road. Your driver had plenty of room to move to his left, as he was no where near the wall that ran alongside the road.

With regard to the allegation that "I could've driven up onto the verge", I would disagree with your drivers assessment of the situation, as the verge was a bank and driving up it could've caused a more serious accident or injury to myself or other road users.

For the reasons above I cannot accept any liability for the accident between myself and your driver on
    the 19th October 2007.

As your letter states, you are prepared to agree to repair your own vehicle, at your own cost. I would agree that this is the best way forward for both parties, as any insurance claim made by myself would most likely be settled 50/50 with your insurance company, which would cost me more than the cost of the damage.

Therefore, I would like to bring this matter to a close and confirm that, with your agreement no further action will be taken by any party.

How does that sound? I'm rather tired at the moment, so any corrections would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt
    Last edited by Paradox; 30th November 2007, 09:04:AM.

Re: Car crash advice

Spell check it Paradox!!!

I would reiterate with a statement that you accept no responsibility, although you have argues the points, you haven't actually stated this, won't make too much difference as this should be the end of the matter but it stresses the point.

Comment

As i am having a good old ding dong with a car acceident in april, i know exactly where your coming from.

The letter read to me like they will get their own vehicle sorted and that you get your vehicle sorted.. end of.. NFA

I think they have thrown in the Speeding bit to dissuade you from going through your insurance and making a claim against them. ie like the banks do saying they are in the right.

I would just write back stating the banks give up line of

While I do not accept any responsibilty for the incident, it is not cost effective for either party to persue this matter and therefore I agree that no further action will be taken

PKea

Comment

Changes & spell check done

Changed post #1 instead of reposting

Thanks Jan

Comment

The assertion that you were speeding is meaningless and should be treated as such.

Unless the driver of the other vehicle was in possession of approved speed measuring equipment and was trained in the use of it and was in possession of the required calibration certificates and in a position to measure, record and verify your speed then it is nothing but hot air.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X