• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bank charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bank charges

hello everyone.
    gosh u know when you are so mixed up you just dont know where to start.
    so i took one subject and thought right i will explain this.

ok.( NATIONWIDE building society) i had my benefit paid in to them..
    its about 4 years ago now may b more. one direct debit bounced, of which i had rang them and explained my money would b in the next day.
    from this things snowballed out of control.. i went to the bank several times . wrote to their fianancial part, as the staff told me to.. no they would not let me off with the charge, even though i was extremely ill. i had horrific panic attacks, i could hardly get out of the house. fortnightly money came in to the bank and they swiped the lot for charges that had mounted up!!!!
    to cut a very long story short...i rang them and went to them still.. that fortnight i had no money, they just didnt care.... now today iam being hounded harrassed near enogh every day and i did try a long time ago to sort this...due to my ill health nowi dont know what to do...confused is not the word.the bill is now over £600. a company called( roxburgh) please can some one guide me...thanl u x
    Tags: None

Re: bank charges

Originally posted by valarina123 View Post
    hello everyone.
    gosh u know when you are so mixed up you just dont know where to start.
    so i took one subject and thought right i will explain this.

ok.( NATIONWIDE building society) i had my benefit paid in to them..
    its about 4 years ago now may b more. one direct debit bounced, of which i had rang them and explained my money would b in the next day.
    from this things snowballed out of control.. i went to the bank several times . wrote to their fianancial part, as the staff told me to.. no they would not let me off with the charge, even though i was extremely ill. i had horrific panic attacks, i could hardly get out of the house. fortnightly money came in to the bank and they swiped the lot for charges that had mounted up!!!!
    to cut a very long story short...i rang them and went to them still.. that fortnight i had no money, they just didnt care.... now today iam being hounded harrassed near enogh every day and i did try a long time ago to sort this...due to my ill health nowi dont know what to do...confused is not the word.the bill is now over £600. a company called( roxburgh) please can some one guide me...thanl u x
    Do you currently have any bank account whatsoever?
    Have you spoken to Nationwide about your circumstances either since then or recently?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

First of all. Stop the DSS giving your benefit to nationwide. Open another account at a different bank, or collect a cheque instead and avoid banks completely. Ring the dole office and tell them you need to change the bank account that your money is paid into, or you want to be paid by cheque instead. It will take no time at all.
      Last edited by Longshanks; 27th March 2011, 09:28:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Longshanks View Post
        First of all. Stop the DSS giving your benefit to nationwide. Open another account at a different bank, or collect a cheque instead and avoid banks completely. Ring the dole office and tell them you need to change the bank account that your money is paid into, or you want to be paid by cheque instead. It will take no time at all.

i totally agree with you longshanks i had this with n&p and they wouid not refund the charge mine was a simple error had a debit going out no sign of it being taken that day so transfered money out and whammo "your nicked" open a parachute account(somewhere else to put your money) or collect a cheque or postal order(if dwp still do them) which can be cashed at the p.o as the minute you put money in your account the greedy so and so,s will "nick" it:beagle:

Comment

It is my understanding (although you better check) that it is an offence for a bank or building soicety to collect charges from any benefits paid into your account.

If you only have benefits being paid into your account:- Nationwide cannot touch it. Let the DWP know of this and they should help you out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrayno View Post
            It is my understanding (although you better check) that it is an offence for a bank or building soicety to collect charges from any benefits paid into your account.

If you only have benefits being paid into your account:- Nationwide cannot touch it. Let the DWP know of this and they should help you out as well.
            You're mistaken on this part unfortunately but it is a well known mistake on the interpretation of the social security administration act 1992 on the definition of "charges" within that act.

Comment

I recently read some where on line about claiming back bank charges that were taken from benerfit money...Of course you will still owe the charges but the money paid for you to live on is for that and not for them to take for charges...is what I thought...so i contacted welfare rights as I am in contact with them regarding something else...here is there responce,
              Basically Reg 187 SSAA 1992 provides that certain benefits, including income related benefits, cannot be used to discharge debts to the banks, ie. in cases of bankruptcy but also, I would agree, this could apply to bank charges. Whilst it may not assist to avoid bank charges, it is an argument that the benefit should not be used to repay these before everything else.

I am going to ask for a refund for the charges I have paid and the amount to be added to my £1000 overdraft debt,with a freeze on any more charges, I will offer what I can afford to pay off,£1 a month...and get my benerfits paid into a new post office account (asked for cheque and they said will send post office info,so maybe they dont do cheques anymore).
              Im going there today to try and get the money that was for food ,heat and comfort...that they wrongly took and caused me to suffer over the last 5 months...If they pay be back in full today I will one happy cookie...will let you know.

Comment

Definately get your benefits paid into a post office card account - that's where mine go and they are completely safe, I can just take them out in cash at the post office ATM or in the post office. I know there will be no nasty suprises or bank charges and I sort out paying bills over the counter.

With regards bank charges - you are in financial hardship and your approach sounds like a good one. They must treat you fairly under BCOBS. The FCA has guidance and principles the banks abide by and 5.1.4 is Principle 6 requires a firm to pay due regard to the interests of its customers and to treat them fairly. In particular, a firm should deal fairly with a banking customer whom it has reason to believe is in financial difficulty.

With regards getting your benefits out before they are swallowed in charges - this might help you http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-Appropriation
                The Welfare Rights people are being a little bit hopeful on the application of SSAA 1992 though I'm afraid.

If you are going into the bank take a full income expenditure sheet with you and evidence of your income. You basically want the account closing, the charges and interest halted and to be allowed to repay the debt at a rate you can afford and sustain.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

They were so busy bless them...I went to the bank and was approached in the que by a women who looked like she worked there...She was questioning all the people before me ,the nosy so and so was asking why they were there...One women wanted to withdraw £1,500...another wanted to pay in a handful of notes...I found the whole situation a little strange,personal money matters being discussed in a que...at least at the kiosk the general public are a few meters away and not all can here your affairs...This women asked me what I was there for...I said that I dont need her services and will que for the counter thanks...she didnt like this and repeated her demands,so I told her they have been robbing me of my money for months and i want to close my account with them...she asked is it in credit...i said no, and i am not paying a penny either (didnt feel the need to explain why there and then,just liked the embarressing situation and mis-treatment publicly aired show she had created)...anyway...I now have an apointment on wednesday to discuss the situation.Im glad I dont get out much...if this is how the world operates now,how long until criminals get a bank workers uniform and starts taking cash of people in ques at banks,they are begging for it with there slack ways to compensate lack of staff and premises....rant,rant...rant.

Comment

Where have you been for the last few years Criminals run the BANKS

Comment

Originally posted by IsItRequired View Post
                      They were so busy bless them...I went to the bank and was approached in the que by a women who looked like she worked there...She was questioning all the people before me ,the nosy so and so was asking why they were there...One women wanted to withdraw £1,500...another wanted to pay in a handful of notes...I found the whole situation a little strange,personal money matters being discussed in a que..
                      The modern bank tried to filter people who need to speak to an advisor from those that need to pay in/take out cash so this is not particularly new especially if they are simply asking what transaction they were doing that day, ie you don't have to say you're withdrawing £1500 but if ya do, that your business or theirs in this case.

.at least at the kiosk the general public are a few meters away and not all can here your affairs...This women asked me what I was there for...I said that I dont need her services and will que for the counter thanks...she didnt like this and repeated her demands,so I told her they have been robbing me of my money for months and i want to close my account with them...she asked is it in credit...i said no, and i am not paying a penny either (didnt feel the need to explain why there and then,just liked the embarressing situation and mis-treatment publicly aired show she had created)...anyway...I now have an apointment on wednesday to discuss the situation.Im glad I dont get out much...if this is how the world operates now,how long until criminals get a bank workers uniform and starts taking cash of people in ques at banks,they are begging for it with there slack ways to compensate lack of staff and premises....rant,rant...rant.
                      You will never be able to close the account if it is in debit. If you are simply going to go into the bank and simply say "I won't pay nothing you have been robbing me blind!" Then you'll get nowhere.

Firstly, how did the charges build up?
                      Have you spoken to the bank previously about the issue of bank charges?
                      Are you struggling to pay essential bills, ie rent/mortgage. council tax, utilities?
                      I suspect we may well have some cross words exchanged before we actually make progress since I actually agree with banks attempting to try to ensure that you wait as little time as possible in a queue. However, personally, I suspect having a full cashier team on at busy times does not coincide with their worker's lunch hours

Comment

I know I will not be able to close the account, I just want to freeze all charges and to make an arrangement to pay them back what I can afford,£1 a month...Even though I now have step change charity dealing with me and things may change...they think I may benerfit from a debt relief order thing, I discuss this in detail with them tomorrow.
                        The charges built up from 253 days of being overdrawn at £1 a day, and a few days of £5 a day for going over my £1000 overdraft.
                        I have never spoken to them before about this,I did not know I could ask for them back.
                        I have had to cancel paying all bills recently in order to eat and try and run a car as i am disabled with no acsess to public transport, will loose the car in next few weeks as cannot pay the finance anymore,im 2 months behind.

And...I do agree with you that Banks do well to try and end pointless queing ,but there way of approach,or this 1 womens anyway, is wrong and encouraged the customer to reveal details that are not nessacery...and there is some truth that it could be open to fraudsters who want to make a few quid,I can think of numerous ways someone could abuse this way of que fixing, and fear its only a matter of time before we here of a case.

Comment

Went to the Halifax bank today and all they can do is stop anymore charges ,not refund them...for that I must ring an 0845 number and try...same old story for me, trying to solve one debt always increases another (Mphone)...just got back from closing a pointless cost me a quid take a month for cheque to clear credit union account that CAB adviced me to open for some reason...Santander account now open...after finding out my new post office account dose not take cheques...This is the hassle 22 weeks of waiting for rightfully entitled benerfits brings.

Comment

Originally posted by IsItRequired View Post
                            Went to the Halifax bank today and all they can do is stop anymore charges ,not refund them...for that I must ring an 0845 number and try...same old story for me, trying to solve one debt always increases another (Mphone)...just got back from closing a pointless cost me a quid take a month for cheque to clear credit union account that CAB adviced me to open for some reason...Santander account now open...after finding out my new post office account dose not take cheques...This is the hassle 22 weeks of waiting for rightfully entitled benerfits brings.
                            We have a financial hardship forum on here which contains information that is probably under my previous username "natweststaffmember" that should help you on the financial hardship issue. Before you ask, worked and was sacked from the bank I worked for. The information is there for you to use and should save you using any of their 0845 numbers(considering you're saying financial hardship then why have a line that charges you more?).....silly really.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X