• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mum has dementia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mum has dementia

My mother has an outstanding TSB bill of about £3000 and has gone into a home due to her dementia, she is being charged for her care home and is left with approx £22 pounds per week which she needs as a personal allowance for clothes etc. What am I supposed to do about her bill, been paying it for last few months but just can't afford to as I am a single mother bringing up a disabled child, leaving no room to have a reasonable income to cover such things. I rang TSB today and she told me to write to them and they would help work out how to pay it. Is this all I can do, because she really is only left a tiny personal allowance and not sure how much she could put towards the bill?
    Tags: None

Re: Mum has dementia

I'd be inclined to write to Lloyds explaining the situation, giving a breakdown of your Mum's income / Expenditure and ask if they'd consider, under the circumstances, writing the debt off.

Comment

Hi and welcome, by TSB bill do you mean a credit crad bill or is it a loan?

Comment

Originally posted by pinkynomore View Post
        My mother has an outstanding TSB bill of about £3000 and has gone into a home due to her dementia, she is being charged for her care home and is left with approx £22 pounds per week which she needs as a personal allowance for clothes etc. What am I supposed to do about her bill, been paying it for last few months but just can't afford to as I am a single mother bringing up a disabled child, leaving no room to have a reasonable income to cover such things. I rang TSB today and she told me to write to them and they would help work out how to pay it. Is this all I can do, because she really is only left a tiny personal allowance and not sure how much she could put towards the bill?
        Hello

First of all I'm sorry about your Mum's illness, both my parents have/had dementia. Dad has died and Mum is in a home with a similar disposable income.

Dont pay it on her behalf - its not your debt, and your kids need that money more than the TSB. Has anyone suggested that you should? If so lets us know and we'll tell you how to handle that.

Do you have a written diagnosis for your Mum?

If so write to Lloydstsb enclosing a copy of the diagnosis, and an income and expenditure form - that can be failrly simple - just a list of income and outgoings.

Ask them to write off the debt as there is no prospect of her ever repaying it.

One but - does she own a property or have any savings?

You will definitely need a written diagnosis so that you can provide to the bank the information they will need to make a decision.

A particularly nasty DCA took this course of action with an old debt of my fathers, because frankly they have little choice.

On a non-related issue are you sure that Mum is getting all of the benefit she is entitled to? And if her needs are severe are the health service contributing to her nursing care costs?

Vdr

Comment

Hi and welcome to LB

Sorry to hear of your mum's issues here, and hope its all sorted out very soon.

My dad had dementia and was in a care home, this is nothing to do with your query as such but understand there may be help with fees in regards of the care home, which depends on the individual's circumstances I know.
          But I assume this have already been assessed?

Let me know otherwise, thank you and good luck on this matter with the bank too. X

Comment

Welcome to LB

A good idea would be to complete an income and expenditure found here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=19592

Send that to the bank when completed together with any evidence by way of documentation regarding her present illness, ie letters from doctors, any letters showing what the state benefits are paying for, basically anything that backs up your mothers current financial situation.

Don't forget she also has to have some money left over for personal things such as toiletries, phone, haircuts, new clothes, shoes etc.

Providing evidence is extremely important as this will back up yours mothers claim for severe hardship due to her illness.

Tuttsi

Comment

If you have been assessed as needing a care home place and your capital is below £23,250, you should be entitled to financial support from your local authority. If you have capital below £14,250 you will be entitled to maximum support although you will still contribute your income less £22.30 per week retained for personal expenses. If you have capital between £14,250 and £23,250 you will also pay a capital tariff of £1 per week for each £250 or part thereof between these two figures.

Comment

Financial and legal affairs - Alzheimers Society
                Last edited by enaid; 3rd March 2011, 10:40:AM.
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X