• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy. Sob!

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy. Sob!

I have just heard that it is likely I will be made redundant (the section I work in no longer has enough work coming in to keep us).

I have probably a bizarre question.....

Can anyone think of any reasons why a company would urge you to request voluntary redundancy instead of being made redundant (statutory)? What has the employer got to gain by this?

My employer has said this and believe me...they try to get away with paying the minimum they can with anything and there is no way they are saying it because they are feeling bad about the situation.

Im wracking my brains to think why they would do this but cant think why...anyone more knowledgable in this area?

Thanks

Re: Redundancy. Sob!

Are they offering you money to be made redundant? My gut feeling says that it is difficult to have to make someone redundant so offering voluntary redundnancy may mean not have to make the difficult choice of enforcing redundancy. A postive from an obviously worrying time.

Comment

Hi

Have a read here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...redundancy.htm

It gives some useful advice, and it also has a calculator so you can work out your redundancy pay.

Be careful if you take voluntary redundancy, in case they try to make out that you left of your own accord and therefore are not entitled to redundancy pay.

PKea

Comment

Originally posted by Nattie View Post
        Are they offering you money to be made redundant? My gut feeling says that it is difficult to have to make someone redundant so offering voluntary redundnancy may mean not have to make the difficult choice of enforcing redundancy. A postive from an obviously worrying time.
        Hi Nattie,

They say if we go for voluntary the package may be better than statutory as no Tax etc is payable on it, but after reading up on it, no tax etc is paid on any redundancy so Im not sure why they are offering this.

I understand what you are saying but believe me, this guy isn't worried about making anyone redundant, he has no conscience. I was just wondering if there was a loophole which was advantageous to a company by them having voluntary rather than statutory.

Originally posted by PKea View Post
        Hi

Have a read here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...redundancy.htm

It gives some useful advice, and it also has a calculator so you can work out your redundancy pay.

Be careful if you take voluntary redundancy, in case they try to make out that you left of your own accord and therefore are not entitled to redundancy pay.

PKea
        Thanks for the link, will have a read now.

Statutory will be 7 weeks pay to me but Im waiting to hear what the voluntary package is.

I thought voluntary redundancy is still classed as redundancy pay.

Comment

Also if you take voluntary redundancy you wont be eligible for benefits should the need arise as they will use it against you, and you wont be able to claim on any ppi's if you have any

Comment

Thanks, I doubt I would be able to claim benefits as my partner is still working, and I have no PPI's.

What a nightmare....I will have to sell my house because of this...sob!

Comment

Minxer I know your situation is very tough, I have been there myself but I really think you need a more positive attitude to carry you though this.

You appear to be assuming you will be out of work, alternatively you could find yourself another job in advance of the redundancy and then will have a windfall payment and continuity of salary, in effect you could be better off financially, or you could be redeployed within the company, should there be a role for you.

This is an excellent website for explaining both the reasons for redundancy and your rights http://www.acas.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=774.

Get yourself fully clued up and, more importantly - think positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Minxer View Post
                Thanks, I doubt I would be able to claim benefits as my partner is still working, and I have no PPI's.

What a nightmare....I will have to sell my house because of this...sob!
                Not necessarily, if you qualify for JSA cont based it doesnt matter how much your partner earns i get it but only for 6 months.

Comment

Hi guys/gals.

Apologies if I came across as a misery....I had only just heard the news at the time so obviously was a little distraught.

I am thinking positive about my future...it will be a godsend to no longer work for this company, they seem to constantly bully the females....just a worry about not finding a job in time to pay the mortgage and risk repossession.

Anyway, I have had my voluntary offer...exactly the same as compulsory entitlement...but I dont have to work my notice if I accept....how generous!...not!

Thanks for the info about JSA Cont...I will take a look at that.

Comment

Minxer, we help everyone on here because it is what we do. We all have good days and all have bad days. Hopefully the information that has provided has meant that what at first seemed like a nightmare has now become better. With Mortgages they have insurance usually called Mortgage Repayment insurance(PPI), have you checked with your insurance that you are eligible?

Comment

Is that something usually included in the mortgage Nattie as I dont think I asked for it. I usually avoid PPIs like the plague?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X