• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Littlewoods/NDR debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Littlewoods/NDR debt

Hi, I'm new to the site but hope someone can give me some advice.

My MIL has debt with Littlewoods which has been passed to NDR. During last year she took a stroke and was hospitalised for a few months. During this time my husband and I learned of the debt. She has been making payments of £20 every month. She has had threatening letters telling her they will be taking her to court for the balance which is £900. The debt is not solely hers as she had ordered items for others who have stopped paying a long time ago. I have tried to get a full account of all purchased made and when but they will not supply that to me and are asking for £10 per statement.

I have asked a number of times to have my name added to her account to allow me to talk to them about it but I'm getting nowhere. My MIL is struggling to pay the £20 and the interest she accured whilst in hospital.

Is there anything I could do or letter I could send them to sort this out? I don't know where to start!
    Tags: None

Re: Littlewoods/NDR debt

Has your MIL recovered from the stroke, or has it left her mentally impaired and incapable of managing her property and affairs?

Has Littlewoods been informed of her illness/condition?

If she is incapable of managing her affairs, and Littlewoods know of it, they would be unable to bring proceedings against her unless there was a Litigation Friend in place.

Proceedings cannot be brough by or against such a person without a litigation friend.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

She has not fully recovered from her stroke, she is still in physio and I think it has affected her mentally, she still has a little trouble with her speech. I contacted Littlewoods and NDR to inform them of her condition but was met with a cold response and basically told tough she still needs to pay and we should have told them about it during her stay in hospital which would have been hard considering only she knew of the debt and could not speak!

Is there any letter templates I can use to write and explain her position and ask that the account be frozen until we can sort out some sort of payment plan?

Comment

Not sure if there are any templates.
        When she ordered goods for others, did she inform Littlewoods that they were not for herself?
        Has she sent Littlewoods a Subject Access Request? or a CCA request?

Comment

No I doubt she did tell them at the time, the purchases were made 7-8 years ago. Some of the things were bought by my ex SIL which she is refusing any responsibility for.

I know what a cca is but could you tell me what a Subject Access Request is.

Sorry if I'm coming across as stupid, I'm not normally!!

Comment

Under Data Protection Act 1998 individuals have a statutory right to be provided with all the personal information an organisation holds about them.
            The individual makes a subject access request, and pays the statutory £10 fee. The organisation has 40 days to comply with the request.

I think there is a SAR template letter on this site, will see if I can find the link for you.

Comment

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...access+request

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X