• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

S.A.R to C.R.A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.A.R to C.R.A

I have been doing a bit of research around various forums for info on removing defaults, searches etc from my credit file.

It is a very complex affair, and from what i can gather, the best advice is to send off a S.A.R (in my case experian) to the credit reference agency, requesting all info held on me and who the info is shared with etc in fact the actual advice i was give is as follows

This is all about finding out where all your data is passed about, who to, what for, what was sent, so you know who knows what about you.

In the Data Protection Act there are laws as to what can be passed on by people-companies about you and this request to the CRA's tells you what everyone else knows about you - believe me it's frightening. You can then use other means like Section 10 notices to stop your data being processed. It's a lot of reading, and a lot of debating, but well worth it in the long run.

When you think that next year, when the fixed rate mortgages are coming to an end which began a year or eighteen months ago, when you apply for a new rate or new deal on a mortgage you will be given a rate according to your credit history. One false default could cost you thousands over the years - THAT is why it is so important that EVERYONE gets to know what is in their Credit files and where your data is going to. Worth every penny of the £10.
    Apparently, the information you receive when you use the online checking system, or send off your £2 for a copy of your file, is basicaly a mini-sar, or an 'overview' of the info they hold on you.

I shall post up my SAR later when i have finalised it, and keep yooz posted on my progress

Re: S.A.R to C.R.A

Should be interesting Stevo...... the story behind the entries on the report basically.

Do let us know what you get back from them

Good luck
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I've had a response from Experian doing this and it was very disappointing as it only went back 2 yrs contained my CR, correspondence 2 & fro (with everything duplicated) and that was about it. There was also 3 letters from them to other consumers not related with my affairs I've emailed them back stating that they must send me all the data they have on me going back @ least 6yrs if not more. I've also informed them of their mistake so awaiting outcome.
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

There are three credit reference agencies and you must send a SAR to all three of them if you want to clear up your credit file successfully as you will not know which CRA any prospective lender is going to use.

Furthermore, the DPA 1998 is not concerned with any notional six year limits or indeed any other limits.

The data they must send you must full and complete and if that goes back fifty years, then so be it!

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
          There are three credit reference agencies and you must send a SAR to all three of them if you want to clear up your credit file successfully as you will not know which CRA any prospective lender is going to use.

Furthermore, the DPA 1998 is not concerned with any notional six year limits or indeed any other limits.

The data they must send you must full and complete and if that goes back fifty years, then so be it!
          I decided to knock them off one by one and I've asked for all the data they have on me so will wait before having a go @ the other 2.
          Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

Sorry for being a pleeb, but if you send a CRA £2, for your credit report (all they have on you), surley this is cheaper than a £10 SAR?

Comment

Unfortunately, i havent progressed on this.

Needless to say, the CRA holds a lot more info on you than the summary they supply for £2.

For instance under the SAR the will be required to provide details of companys they have sold your details too.

Update to follow

Comment

the rules gov. the CRA's are if a person is associated with you, you write a letter of disassociation, and they have to remove the item, if you have a disputed entry against your name, you phone the CRA, and ask for the address of the registry trust, you write to them disputing an entry against your name.
                If you write to the CRA, they contact the issuer of the claim for bad credit, if they say its correct, it is your word against theirs, until proved otherwise, if you write to the registy trust it classes as a dispute and the entry must be removed, or a breach of the CCA is committed, without the issuer providing proof of debt to the registry trust (i.e the original CCA or a signed agreement of payment etc).
                Last edited by strangewayofsavin; 19th January 2008, 20:52:PM.

Comment

Sorry can you clarify what is the Registry trust?

I had a case where two phone companies sent out goods where another person used my identity - as it happened they admotted it was fraud and I did not suffer financially. However there are searches on my credit report I did not authorise - plus there are entries asscociating with an address I have nothing to do with. Despite writing to Experian and the phone comapnies involved I have not yet been able to remove the entries. The association with another address is worrying me and I would appreciate clarifiaction of your post. Thanks
                  "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Recently, I wrote to experian with regards to a couple of entries on my file, after receiving letters back from them stating " we have contacted XXXX, and they inform us the entires are correct, we have placed a notice of dispute Bla bla bla".
                    After phoning Experian and discussing the issue, there are a set amount of proceedures that have to be followed, or the CRA's can fob you off, why? because it is your word against the entries issuer, and in the CRA's eyes the issue needs to be sorted between the arguing parties.
                    The entries that I quizzed was as follows:
                    There was an association with an unknown person. In order to get the entry removed without going to court, you have to write a "letter of disassociation", stating that you have never been associated with the entry or are no longer associated with the entry, once the CRA receive the letter, the information is past to the Registry trust, whom I am told govern the CRA, bit like Offcom as I am led to beleive, and remove the entry.
                    The other entry is a default from Abbey after I disputed an outstanding balance (penalty charges).
                    According to the woman at Experian, they cannot remove the entry only the Registry trust can, So I asked her, If I wrote to the Registry trust disputing the entry, would they have to remove the entry, she replied yes, until Abbey supplied the Proof of the debt. And if I disputed it through Experian, they would take the senario mentioned earler, Experian would treat the matter as my word against Abbeys, and until forced, the entry would remain albeit, with a 200 word complaint from me if I put it in writting.
                    So if you write to the Registry trust, the dispute will be taken notice of, and the issuer would have to act, to reinstate the entry, according to Experian.

Comment

thank you very much - i will try again armed with your useful information

interestingly I got a search removed that was done without permission quite quickly - it is just the associated address proving to be the sticking point

jan
                      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

If you read the Nat West terms and conditions (printed 2006), it does inform the reader of the letter of disassociation, whether it is any other Banks T&C's I am not sure.
                        :okay:

Comment

Hi Scoobs, here is the telephone number of the Registry trust: 0207 3800133.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X