• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

"That's rubbish" says RBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That's rubbish" says RBS

Another homeless person, on benefits.
    He had only just set up a standing order to transfer £5 from one RBS account to another - both his.
    Benefits were late in to the account, so he incurred £38 charges!
    When he phoned RBS they told him he needed to go to his branch.
    His branch said basically tough. He had spoken to the homeless girl who got her charges wiped, so told them he knew that they were not allowed by law to take charges from benefits and they said that was complete rubbish. As the benifit office is at fault, he needs to claim the charges from them.

I printed out the letter for him to take down to them. Just the basic letter so he could show them the formality of it and he will fill in his personel details if they do not refund.

Will let you know how he gets on.

Sally x
    P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
    life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
    Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Re: "That's rubbish" says RBS

Well thats sorted my thinking of last week.

It was along the lines of my mums generation are still thinking banks are God. Our generation are delving around and hitting them back, my lad 20's is sort of catching on and I'm carrying him lol.. but its the younger generation again that will make as much difference, so peeps like you sally make so much difference if you work with them. If the knocking of the banks stop they will never change, I'm calling my next baby, Bankbasher

Well done Sally spread the Luv.:roll:

Comment

Ok, my homeless man took in the letter's quoting how it's illegal to take benefit money and they still say that that is not true.
      He actually only gets about £50 a week so £38 is extortionate! Ans because of this he has had to sleep on the street and not able to access our nightshelter (the local council says our clients must pay £2.50 of the nightly charge themselves)
      The local branch has told him he will have to phone head office, but as the claim is not true he won't get it refunded.
      So, does he ring them again, this time quoting the letter, or send the letter off to their head office?

Sally x

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

customer relations explaining the nature of the money that comes in and the effect that removing £38 will have on him. Maybe worth mentioning the lack of compassion shown by the branch to someone who clearly would be impacted significantly as a result of this. While the error was his the consequential effect is such as to render it either under hardship or compassion. If it is his first charge, which my gut reaction says it isn't then the branch are correct in not refunding but I would recommend cancelling the standing order because clearly it is the cause.

Comment

But Nat, I thought that banks could not by law take benefit money?
          Not sure if 1st charge.

Sally x

Comment

My homeless man came in today, he has had a reply from RBS.
            They have said their 'charges are fair, transparent and lawful.'
            They would like to deal with his complaint quickly, but because of waiting for the OFT result they 'have had to suspend the normal timetable for bank charges complaints'.

And the letter went on in this way.
            There was no mention of it being a refund of benefits.

At the start of the letter it does say if he believes the charge has been an administrative error to let them know.
            Is it an admin error?

This is the first charge he has had.

Sally x

Comment

I think the wording is wrong, and not to toe the party line, I think a letter should be sent stating it is not an unfair charges case but that the circumstances of his benefit means that to have a £38 charge leaves him with £12 to live on for the week.
              If that does not work threaten the papers cos reputational risk means more to the bank and I am sure a local reporter would be interested considering the FSA treating customers fairly bit.

Comment

Sally

Let me know if you want to follow the press route.

We did this very successfully with Tempty and I can supply lots of very hard-hitting background to the issues. I will happily liaise with the press and provide the info, if you are willing to give them the story specifics.
                :beagle:

Comment

Will let you know what happens, thank you.
                  Trouble is that because he's homeless I never know when I will see him. Sometimes he's in every day, then I don't see him for days.
                  He would love the press route

Sally x

Comment

He won!!!!!!! He is so pleased and telling everyone!
                    .... So hopefully more will be claiming back. I have asked him that when he tells people about it to let me know the outcome to enable keeping track. And if there is any problem I can come here.
                    I told him about the press idea and he said he wished he hadn't won as he would've loved that! msl:
                    £38 isn't much but to him it's a lot more.

Sally xx

Comment

Another satisfied customer:carrot:

Comment

Sally , You are a true angel :kiss:
                        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Well done Sally..... you are a star!!!!!

An inspiration for all :slayer:

Comment

Great stuff sally, well done hun :kiss:

Comment

Well done Sally you are indeed a star!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X