• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EU move on ‘unfair’ bank charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU move on ‘unfair’ bank charges

This looks promising.

The article relates to the forthcoming EU Consumer Rights Directive that will re-write UTCCR.

Legal Beagles participated in the consultation to formulate the Government's negotiating position on the scope of the Directive and although the Government decided not to push for ancillary charges to be subject to the test of fairness, it looks like the European Union might do it anyway.

EU move on ‘unfair’ bank charges

By Nikki Tait in Brussels
    Published: January 20 2011 16:05 | Last updated: January 20 2011 16:28

European bank customers could get protection against “unfair” or onerous bank charges after European lawmakers backed key amendments to a proposed consumer rights law that would apply across the European Union.

The amendments, which were suggested by Arlene McCarthy, a British Labour MEP, would in effect make fees and other additional charges, including bank overdraft charges, subject to a “fairness” test.

They would also mean more protection against efforts by retailers or service providers to include potentially expensive “hidden extras” in their deals with customers. Contracts that required a consumer to purchase ancillary goods or services, which had not been advertised in the price of the main contract, would normally be considered unfair.

“We’ve all experienced those hidden extras in a contract that we didn’t anticipate ... I’ve had a number of constituents write to me directly about such charges, particularly related to car hire,” said Ms McCarthy.

There have been some active campaigns against excessive bank charges recently, notably in the UK. However, more than a year ago, a ruling in England’s highest court stymied action on overdraft fees by the Office of Fair Trading.

The amendments were accepted on Thursday when the European Parliament’s legal affairs committee voted on the proposed legislation in Strasbourg. Beuc, the European consumer associations’ umbrella group, said it believed extending the “fairness” test was “very positive”. But the fate of the underlying consumer rights legislation, which has been the subject of intense wrangling for two years, remains unclear.

Much of the dispute centres on whether the new rules – which deal with guarantees, contract terms, the rights of consumers to return goods, and so on – should be imposed equally in all 27 EU countries, even if some already have higher levels of consumer protection.

This idea, known as “maximum harmonisation”, is opposed by consumer groups, which fear that some hard-won rights in specific countries, including the UK, could be eroded.
    One possibility, being considered by EU member states is to reduce the scope of the new rules sharply, so that they apply to only certain types of contracts, notably those concluded remotely. Member states could make a final decision on their stance in the coming days.

European lawmakers, who must also approve the proposed rules before they can become law, are still considering a broader package. But on Thursday, in addition to Ms McCarthy’s amendments, they accepted other changes that would increase the amount of “maximum harmonisation”, angering consumer groups.

A second parliamentary committee will now review matters on February 1. “I really hope they will do better,” said Ursula Pachl, Beuc’s deputy-director.

FT.com / Brussels - EU move on ‘unfair’ bank charges
    Tags: None

Re: EU move on ‘unfair’ bank charges

Thats good news. I was suprised to hear Fingleton yesterday talking about legislation specific for bank accounts to get round the SCOJ Judgment.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have heard of this previously if it goes hrough as is it will erode some of our rights regarding normal retail .including refunds and return of goo.ds .My understanding is that with the legislation as drafted it will be illegal to offer higher standards of service on a national basis, it may even be illegal for individual retailers to offer higher levels of service

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Thats good news. I was suprised to hear Fingleton yesterday talking about legislation specific for bank accounts to get round the SCOJ Judgment.
        Were you? I can't say I was to be honest but as he said, the OFT are not a regulator as such and don't have necessary powers as things stand. A true regulator like the FSA would - if they regulated the credit market - would have been able to use their Treating Customers Fairly principles to challenge bank charges.

I must say I wasn't very impressed with him or Clive Maxwell who was originally seconded from Treasury to take over the test case & UTCCR investigation, failed and was subsequently promoted to number 2 at the OFT.

Comment

Would it have any effect on historical bank charges reclaiming?
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Would this not be somewhat of a (welcome!) U-turn if the UK had to enforce a fairness test in applying Bank Charges? I'm not 100% up to speed on the Bank Chages test case, but as to my understanding it pretty much said that they were not unfair and that any charge levied against an account would be seen as the cost of "free" banking, rather than as a punative charge.... I may be very wrong on this (haven't done my reading-up I'm afraid!) so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope this goes through, but I can't see it being drafted so as to apply to historical charges. So many Euro-zone countries are struggling at the moment, I think it would be a litle tricky to attempt to enforce retroactive legislation when the relationship between the banks and certain EC countries is less than rosie.

CT

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              Would it have any effect on historical bank charges reclaiming?
              thats my question, if its retrospective that would be fantastic.

I'm no fan of the EU (big rip-off gravy train for politicians and their off-spring) but when it comes to consumer rights and employment rights they are often ahead of the UK. Lets hope the banks are forced to review charges by the EU. Santander...here we come!

Comment

Having thought about this a bit more I can answer my own question. It is unlikely to be retrospective if it is legislative changes.....

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                  Having thought about this a bit more I can answer my own question. It is unlikely to be retrospective if it is legislative changes.....
                  knew you'd get there xx
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

more and more legislation is retrospective though

Comment

The original UTCCR was not retrospective to UK entry into the EEC in 1975, it wasn't retrospective back to Maastricht in 1992 so it is unlikely to be retrospective now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Tuesday View Post
                        I'm not 100% up to speed on the Bank Chages test case, but as to my understanding it pretty much said that they were not unfair and that any charge levied against an account would be seen as the cost of "free" banking, rather than as a punative charge.... I may be very wrong on this (haven't done my reading-up I'm afraid!) so please correct me if I'm wrong.
                        The Supreme Court didn't say the charges weren't unfair but that the legislation - as they saw it - put the charges in a category that prevented them from making a fairness determination.

The proposed EU Directive would allow bank charges to be caught by legislation and make it possible for a court to consider their fairness. But it won't apply retrospectively.

Comment

sweet! I agree about the non-retroactive effect such legislation could have, I just don't see Europe buying into such a large area of historic charges. I sounds like good news for the future though.

CT

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X