• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hopping Mad Re: returned cheque!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopping Mad Re: returned cheque!

In december 2010, I paid my electricity bill by cheque; my nationwide flex account personal cheque and though no more about it.

One month later, I receive a letter dated 12/01/2011 from the electricity firm stating:

"We are writing to inform you that your bank has recently returned your cheque payment.

Please arrange to pay the full balance within the next three days to avoid further action being taken.

As your cheque has been returned unpaid, a fee of £10 has been applied to your account."

I thought that's odd as I paid the account/bill on time.

Next step, I telephoned the Nationwide to ascertain what exactly has happened to my cheque and why was it returned as there were funds in the account.

After some time the telephone operative informed me that they had cancelled the relevant cheque book as it had not been used for some time;
    they said it had been reported as lost or stolen.

But, I said that I had not reported the cheque book as lost or stolen because it was not lost or stolen; it is in my desk drawer.
    The drone went on to say that it was nationwide who reported the cheque book as lost or stolen, because it had not been used for some time.
    But, I said that I do not write many cheques and that cheque books do not have a time limit for use of.

Nationwide, said that if a cheque book is not used for some time they cancel same as a security measure!?

They kept banging on about cancelling the cheque book as a security measure;
    I asked them why did they not inform me that the cheque book had been cancelled?
    and;
    why had they not informed me that this particular cheque had been returned by them?

In a nutshell, I paid my electricity bill on time and funds were in the account;
    now I have to pay the electricity firm a further £10 because of nationwide's inefficiency.

Why is everything such a battle with these bl**dy banking institutionsGRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Tags: None

Re: Hopping Mad Re: returned cheque!

Because you, (all of us) are a COMMODITY........NOT........a CUSTOMER....... we don't exist anymore other than to fleece.....sheeple!!

Lol

Comment

I have just written to the electricity firm in question, enclosing a further cheque from another cheque book and, asking them to refund the £10 fee. Because, the error did not lie with me but with the nationwide.

Also, I intend to raise a formal complaint with the Nationwide and if necessary make a formal complaint to the FOS.

Okay, I know it is only £10 but there is a principle at stake here!

Comment

Seems strange that Nationwide did not think to let you know that someone was using Your cheques to pay an Electricity Bill for the same address that the Nationwide account is registered to.

Off course we all know that someone is going to steal your cheque book and use it to pay your bills

Comment

I totally agree with you AC. It's not about the money, the fact is they did it without telling you, thus forcing you to incur charges. Even worse, it doesn't sound as though they even considered offering you the £10 charge or worse still giving you an apology. Disgusting!

Comment

I would be requesting that the nationwide pay the £10 fee as it was there mistake no one else's.

Why should you be going cap in hand to the electricity company causing maybe further upheaval to your account.

Also remember the TCF when dealing with this which btw applies equally to both the bank and the electricity company.
            If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ODC View Post
              Seems strange that Nationwide did not think to let you know that someone was using Your cheques to pay an Electricity Bill for the same address that the Nationwide account is registered to.

Off course we all know that someone is going to steal your cheque book and use it to pay your bills
              It's bloomin' ridiculous!

I spent £7 on my mobile talking to some uninterested drone (problems with landline due to excessive rain) all that he kept on saying was that the cheque book in question had been cancelled due to someone in Nationwide reporting same as being lost or stolen; for security reasons.

I responded; the cheque book has not been lost or stolen, I hold it in my hands; it has been in my desk and since when did cheque book cheques have a time limit on them for usage?

Oh but we sent you a letter;
              No you did Not!;
              oh it must have been lost in the post, answers the uninterested drone.

TBH, I have heard some things in my life but none so ridiculous as this.

And NO, the drone would not compensate me for the £10 fee, neither would his supervisor.
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
              I would be requesting that the nationwide pay the £10 fee as it was there mistake no one else's.

Why should you be going cap in hand to the electricity company causing maybe further upheaval to your account.

Also remember the TCF when dealing with this which btw applies equally to both the bank and the electricity company.
              Quite so, PF!

Rest assured that I will not let the matter rest, even though it is just a paltry £10; paltry to them, of course.
              Last edited by Angry Cat; 17th January 2011, 19:42:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Time to become a VERY Angry Cat again

Comment

And NO, the drone would not compensate me for the £10 fee, neither would his supervisor.

Is that right lol I'm sure you know better
                  If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

AC, I would complain to Nationwide, in spite of the fact that they should have already dealt with your phone call as a complaint. FSA guidelines of a complaint is "any dissatisfaction whether justified or not". I think the issue here is perhaps where does it say in their terms and conditions that they may, as a security measure, put a hold on a cheque book if it has been inactive for some time.
                    Out of interest, when was the last time prior to this that a cheque was written out of that book?
                    I suspect that your electricity company will still say there is an outstanding amount and that it is up to you to deal with the dispute between the bank and yourself since they have accepted the cheque in good faith and that the bank themselves have given them the information that the cheque is not good.
                    I think you also need to emphasise to Nationwide that by returning the cheque that your good record of payment with the electricity company has now been affected by this, so not only do they owe you £10 but they need to write to the company to clear your tarnished name, so to speak. I hope that last bit made sense.
                    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Just received a telephone call from the electricity company, which was in response to my letter of complaint.
                      And, they have agreed to refund the £10 fine; the telephone operative said that they could see the reason that cheque had been returned was not my fault.

Interesting isn't it, that a utility company could understand my concern.
                      But, not the Nationwide Building Society!?

Yes lerclerc, a formal letter of complaint is being fired off to the scrooge nationwide.

Sounds like the nationwide need to have a refresher course in customer relations; duty of care.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
                        Just received a telephone call from the electricity company, which was in response to my letter of complaint.
                        And, they have agreed to refund the £10 fine; the telephone operative said that they could see the reason that cheque had been returned was not my fault.

Interesting isn't it, that a utility company could understand my concern.
                        But, not the Nationwide Building Society!?

Yes lerclerc, a formal letter of complaint is being fired off to the scrooge nationwide.

Sounds like the nationwide need to have a refresher course in customer relations; duty of care.
                        You could email the CEO of Nationwide cos you will get a response.
                        I wonder if they might compensate you in some way for the worry that all of that caused and the reputational damage that it initially caused you? What would be appropriate?

Comment

AC,

So as I understand it your account was in funds and they dishonoured a cheque. That is exactly what happened to Mr Kpohraror.

It is not only a tradesman of whom it can be said that the refusal to meet his cheque is 'so obviously injurious to [his] credit' that he should 'recover, without allegation of special damage, reasonable compensation for the injury done to his credit' (see [1920] AC 102 at 112, [1918-19] All ER Rep 1035 at 1037 per Lord Birkenhead LC). The credit rating of individuals is as important for their personal transactions, including mortgages and hire-purchase as well as banking facilities, as it is for those who are engaged in trade, and it is notorious that central registers are now kept. I would have no hesitation in holding that what is in effect a presumption of some damage arises in every case, in so far as this is a presumption of fact.
                          LBA
                          Claim
                          Collect £8,000.

HTH

Dad

Comment

Yes Dad, they dishonoured my personal cheque whilst the account was in funds.

Is there more behind this than meets they eye, though?
                            http://www.bankaccountadvice.co.uk/c...hased-out.html

Many mature people prefer to write cheques for such things as utility bills. I actually write few but they are convenient and serve as a record.

[/Quote] by leclerc:
                            You could email the CEO of Nationwide cos you will get a response.
                            I wonder if they might compensate you in some way for the worry that all of that caused and the reputational damage that it initially caused you? What would be appropriate? [/Quote]

TBH leclerc, the matter has left a rather bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

The utility company took my valid complaint on board, assessed my case and came to the right decision.
                            But not the Nationwide Building Society, who I spent £7 of mobile phone call time money attempting to convey my concerns to. (my BT landline has problems due a BT outside fault)

Therefore, I will write in another attempt to convey my dismay about the manner in which I have been treated to the CEO of Nationwide.

Another letter, another postage stamp, when the matter could have beeen resolved over the telephone.

The world of banking is out of control...very annoying for the general consumer!

Comment

Why a letter when an email will do and his email(graham beale) is in the public domain?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X