• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN bailiff charges.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN bailiff charges.

To cut a long story short, my wife is guilty of not paying her local authority issued PCN. I have no qualms in paying the charge, because she is guilty of the offence. Where I have an issue is with the bailiff, I dont even mind paying the bailiff fees, but IMO they are unreasonable. Chandlers now claim the Parking penalty charge is now £121.20, when the original charge was £110. From reading this forum I understand they have added their £11.20 first letter fee onto the parking charge.

The bailiff also had the audacity to add on charges of £127.00 for his 1st attendance, which is more than the original PCN and their alleged "phantom 1st letter" they claim to have sent combined. I also recorded their office staff and the bailiff himself, who both admit this was their 1st visit to my property and the costs are for the van.

I can guarantee their was no letter sent by the bailiff to our address and his 1st and only visit to our address was in a transit van, in the hope of clamping the car.**Alas while myself and the bailiff were arguing, my son hid the car**

Where do I stand regarding the bailiff fees, especially in proportion to the original size of the PCN fine and the fees he is able to add for a 1st visit. After his 1st visit in the admission by both the bailiff and his head office, the outstanding balance is now £248.20.

Thanks in advance. Mark.
    Tags: None

Re: PCN bailiff charges.

I am not following these figures. How much was the original PCN and how much in fees have been added?

Comment

The original PCN was £70, Then Broxbourne added £30 for late payment, plus a court registration fee of £5, making it a total of £110 owed to Broxbourne council.

The bailiff claims in amount owing....£121.20 for the Parking penalty charge and bailiff costs of £127.00, making it a total of £248.20.

Comment

That is much clearer, thank you and I agree the figure of £121.20 is correct. Is there any way that you can pay this sum direct to the council or failing that to the bailiff?

In the bailiff guide, that you may have already read Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum you will find a subject access request. Maybe you should send the bailiffs this letter and ask them to explain their fees. Then search this forum for fraud, using the word 'fraud' as your keyword because to charge for work they have not carried out is fraudulent.

Comment

Am I reading you correctly, regarding the original parking penalty charge of £110 owed to Broxbourne council, has legally morphed to £121.20? Where did the extra £11.20 come from and if the £11.20 is their fee for their alleged phantom letter, shouldn't that be part of the bailiff fees and not added on to parking penalty charge?

Comment

If the original PCN was £110 then it would have been reduced if paid within 14 days, but if it was not paid within 14 days then the original charge (£110) stands and would then be increased by 50%.

If you are in any doubt as to what the charges are for, then send an SAR and ask them.
            Last edited by Amy; 7th January 2011, 11:25:AM.

Comment

Sorry for the poor maths on my side. The original penalty charge was £70. The reduced rate option was never taken up. The 50% increase of £35 for late payment was added by Broxbourne council, taking my parking charge to £105. Broxbourne then added their court registration fee of £5.00, making it a grand total owed to Broxbourne of £110.

This morning I have paid £110 to Broxbourne council in cash and have a receipt. Is the debt to Broxbourne officially paid?

Comment

Once you have paid the outstanding debt to the creditor, irrespective of outstanding bailiff fees, is the court warrant still valid? Can a bailiff still use the warrant to collect his fees and add on more fees? Does the warrant only exist in order to collect the outstanding debt?
                Last edited by v1llage 1d1ot; 12th January 2011, 14:25:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by v1llage 1d1ot View Post
                  Does the warrant only exist in order to collect the outstanding debt?
                  Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                    Yes.
                    How does one go about to get the existing warrant canceled, since the original debt to the creditor/local authority, is now paid. (minus outstanding bailiff fees)

Comment

I just received a phone call from the local authority. They confirm and acknowledge receipt of the outstanding pcn fine/debt being paid, but they are refusing to rescind the warrant because the bailiff have outstanding fees to collect, for, in their own words "SERVICES RENDERED"

I stated the court warrant granted, is only to collect the debt and not to be used as a cloak for any DCA, to hide behind in order to collect their fees. I stated any dispute between myself and the DCA regarding fees is a civil matter. The poor council worker who relayed the message just said, "this is the message I'm meant to give to you, I'm sorry".

I'm sure what Broxbourne is doing is illegal/unconstitutional? Another example of local government out of control perhaps? To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X