• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RAM issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM issues

Desk Top System Summary

Item Value
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    System Manufacturer NVIDIA
    System Model AWRDACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2010 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F9, 13/01/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.17 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 3.06 GB

I have 4 slots for RAM and had until recently been able to run 4x IGb sticks PC3200 184 pin 200Mhz (2x crucial 2x Kingston)

Took the plunge and moved to Win 7 home after a system crash blew away my XP OS.

Since then I can only use slots 1 & 3 with any pair of RAM.

Adding a stick to slot 2 shows 3gb on the initial boot screen but fails to get past the 1st windows set up icon an just goes to a blue screen/

The system reboots normally with the stick removed. Adding a stick to slot 4 get a long beep and the computer doesn't boot (nor does the video card) .

Swapping from slots 1 & 3 to 2 & 4 shows 2Gb on inital bot screen but System only sees 1 Gb of RAM

A bit stumped - any ideas
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)
    Tags: None

Re: RAM issues

What's the actual board manufacturer ?

Your list above simply indicates that you are running a motherboard with an nVidia chipset.

Many motherboards (AM2+ series) can run either DDR2 or DDR3 memory sticks, but not both at the same time. ASROCK boards, for example, have DDR2 or DDR3 memory slots dependent on whether you are running an AM2+ or AM3 processor. Whichever you are using, you cannot use all of the slots.

Furthermore, Windws 7 32-bit will not see more than 3Gb of RAM regardless how much is inserted in your motherboard. To be able to see 4Gb of RAM, you will need to be running Windows 7 64-bit O/S.

Comment

Thanks Jester

The RAM is DDR, the Mother Board is Gigabyte GA-K8NMF-9, I did install the Win 7 @ 32 bit - how do I change to 64 bit?
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

Unfortunately, you cannot simply upgrade to 64-bit. It requires a completely fresh install !!

Microsoft did offer 64-bit version of whatever flavour of Vista for just the price of postage & packing. The 32-bit activation key was valid for the install of 64-bit.

However, I don't know if they offer the same deal on Windows 7. Best to check Microsoft's website for information.

Comment

There is also a Bios Update available for the mboard - F10E (2008) which may be a good starting place too

Comment

Check here GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - FAQ - Motherboard
            - are your Ram sticks paired? eg run same clock speeds and cas timings.

Other than those solutions mentioned above by me and others thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Comment

I have had problems previously, with crucial memory clashing with others they don't like it!
              As for the 64 bit, im pretty sure it costs more for a copy of windows, But I can't recommend it, win xp 64 bit was a waste of time!! clashed with other things, other progs where not compatable etcm this, all from experiance so theres my piece
              ~Never has PPI refunds been owed to so many...by so few~

Comment

Win 7 x64 is pretty good tbh, tho only a real benefit if you are using 4gb ram plus or have a newer cpu.

New CPU's/Motherboards from Intel and AMD this quarter (amd maybe 2nd qtr) so should see prices dropping of "older" cpus.

Unfortunately a socket 939 cpu is now considered "old hat" and with the progress of cpu design support for those motherboards in the main stops in 2008.............

The danger of continuing to use XP is that it is now no longer supported by MSoft so no new updates for issues/errors/failings.

Comment

Thanks one and all I'll update the BIOS, try 3x 1G same manufacture sticks and install Win 64 bit next time I rebuild.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X