• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Kafka v GMAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kafka v GMAC

This is just a prelim enquiry about possibilities.

I had a mortgage with these people that I switched from 2 years ago. It was not with them through choice, but the chosen lender let me down at the last minute on a minor technicality that they introduced, after the valuation was done and the papers ready to sign. The result of this was that I was left on the point of financial collapse and the only way to save it was to go with a company that were very fast. GMAC did this quickly, but it meant a longer tie-in at a higher rate.

Anyway, I had only one missed payment with GMAC when a planned remortgage didn't happen, so they took the DD fee of £30 and charged £50pm for 3 months till it was sorted.

However, when they account was finally cleared, they had a charge of one months mortgage payment if you didn't give them one months notice in writing of the planned date of transfer. This was never made very clear, and was difficult to time. When the transfer was fixed it was then just too late to give the month, though another delay meant that I could have done had I known.

The result of this is that I was charged at settlement a whole extra month just because of this minor point in the small print. It was not an ERC because the full term had passed - it was just an opportunist charge.

I've never read any other thread about this, but presume that this is a penalty that can be reclaimed? I would hope to submit a claim for this along with the other charges mentioned.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: Kafka v GMAC

Has to be worth exploring. Do you have the t&c's, and the rationale behind the charge?

or is what you've said in the above post all it says in the T&C's?

Comment

Planned date of transfer for your mortgage, does'nt the surveyor of the new company have to come and view your house , letters of questioning the mortgage you had with Gmac, your past payments and request for deeds.

Wouldn't that start around a month before transfer.

Do you know the first date your mortgage company first contacted them, if its a month then they had notification.

I'M not brilliant at this but its not an overnight move...or was it?

Comment

Sorry mate as far as i know and Ive spent past 18 months studying up on mortgages not all that much you can do bar reclaim the £50 charge.

Ive PM'd you.
        When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.

Paulo Coelho

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X