• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home insulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home insulation

After a few years of suffering the draughts, submitting claims for grants and getting refused by every company, contacting the local council and complaining to my M.P. I decided to do the job myself.
    My home was built in 1927 and has suspended floors, I tried everywhere to get help in insulating the underneath of the ground floor but three weeks ago I gave up all hope and did a bit of research on the web and went it alone. I hope my experience might help others in a similar situation.
    I measured all of the downstairs floor-space and invested in a material called jablite, it is a polystyrene insulator which is fire retardant. I also bought 12 cans of gap filler.
    I accessed the underneath of the house via a small hole under the stairs, this was not very easy but I got through a gap of 12"x 10". I had a headlamp on so I could make my way around beneath the floor, measuring the spaces between the joists. I wrote down all of these measurements and an hour later emerged from the grim hole and started cutting. It took me three days to fit the insulation and then I went around any spaces and gaps with the filler.
    Today I got the best proof that it had done the job, my son arrived home after work and we sat chatting about the cold day, he said how nice it was to come home to a warm house. The heating had gone off at 8.30am, this was 4pm and it was still 25c inside, last week it was more like 14c inside during the same cold outside. I reckon that the initial outlay of £150 shall be saved in heating costs in one winter. So if you have the same sort of home and want to save money then I advise that you try the same, it is not dead easy but it is not rocket science either and if I can do it anybody can.
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.
    Tags: None

Re: Home insulation

Just in time too by the sound of it with our first real cold spell on the way.

Timed to perfection.
    If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

You got through a hole 10 x 12 inches?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
        You got through a hole 10 x 12 inches?
        I've lost weight lately, but truth is yes I did and the floor space was no more than 20" deep, which I managed to drag myself and the insulation through to complete the job and there was six rooms I insulated which all had supporting walls below ground, which I had to make holes through and repair after I had done.
        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyolddog View Post
          I've lost weight lately, but truth is yes I did and the floor space was no more than 20" deep, which I managed to drag myself and the insulation through to complete the job and there was six rooms I insulated which all had supporting walls below ground, which I had to make holes through and repair after I had done.
          This could have been you! Under the floorboards. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20101123...h-7f81b96.html

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X