• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

car sold as seen??????????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car sold as seen??????????

Hi everyone
    my son bought a car saturday from a local car sales. He agreed with the salesman that if he paid an extra 55 they would give it a years mot (as it only had one until January)and if anything needed doing they would fix to enable it to pass. they agreed to book it in the following saturday. On the sunday he drove to london and on the way he had a temperature problem and had to keep stopping, it took him 8 hours to get to london from cornwall. we phoned the garage on the monday telling them of the problem. they said they would look at it when it was in for the mot. he came back down with car and left it with them on the saturday to fix. they said they would phone back on saturday to let him know the result of the mot. they did not!!!!! he tried and tried to get hold of them all afternoon but no relply. he managed tp get hold of the garage doing the mot but they said he had not been booked on for saturday or monday. we phoned on the monday as he had to go back to london on the train. we were told mots not done saturdays they are done during the week. again we mentioned about the temperature fault and said car had to be ready for thursday as son had to travel down again!! to get it. thursday came car mot been done but they said they couldnt find anything wrong with the temperature. we picked car up on thursday ready for son to drive up on saturday. he drove 20 miles to his girlfriends before leaving and the head gasket went. we rang garage they didnt want to know , implied it only cost 600 what did we expect. said it was sold as a trade sale, sold as seen. at no time was this mentioned to my son or husband when they looked and bought car. guy said bring it in and they will price it up????????
    how do we stand. surely a car should last longer than 2 weeks? should he fix it? at no cost to us? please help
    nannieali
    Tags: None

Re: car sold as seen??????????

hi can anyone help with the car seen as sold item above?????

Comment

"Sold as seen" and "Trade Sale" are meaningless phrases and are also unlawful. The garage, by attempting to deceive you over this are committing a criminal offence.

Take a look here, post #2 Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

In short, reject the car and demand a full and immediate refund. You may also consider issuing a claim against them for any out of pocket expenses and distress that this may have caused.

If you would like help drafting your letter before action, please ask.

Comment

HELP!!!!! YES our son was told by trading standards today to draft a letter and send by registered post.
        if you could help draft it that will be great luv.
        because it is costing him so much money commuting everyday into london from just outside of high wycombe they will have to try get another car as soon as, and r looking for one up there. just moved , just got first descent job got a 5 month old and really cant afford anymore pennies. they have really hit bad times and this was the start of a new life together! seeing a grown man of 25 sob on his hands and knees on saturday was heart breaking. so we defo want the money back and as soon as, so all help appreciated. the bank of mum and dad is hurting too.
        look forward to your reply and help

Comment

i will wait until i have heard from you and then send what u advise us.
          many thanks await your reply. we will then go ashead as quickly as possible

Comment

Look around the forum for examples of a letter rejecting goods. Inform the garage that you are formally rejecting the car under s.14.2 and 14.3 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and that you require a full and immediate refund. Inform them that you reserve the right to issue a claim against them, should they not agree to a full refund.

Draft your letter and post it here and we can advise further.

Comment

not use to your site my lv and i am finding it very difficult to find any ltters let alone the returning goods one lol. all help appreciated as half an hour later and im still looking,
              sorry to be a pain

Comment

NANNIEALI,

Plenty of templates you can adapt on this search, just remember to quote the sections of the SOGA that cetelco quoted above

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sal...ient=firefox-a
                If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
                  [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Dear Sir

Re: Vauxhall Corsa
                  Date of Purchase:

I write to in relation to the above vehicle and with which I have experienced a significant problem. I have been advised that the vehicle is defective.

TAKE NOTICE therefore that I hereby formally reject the vehicle under s.14(2) and s.14(3) of the Sale of Goods Act [/FONT]
                  [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']1979[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']. Due to the faults with the vehicle you have failed to discharge your implied duty under s.14(2) of the above Act that the vehicle be of satisfactory quality and further under s.14(3) that the vehicle be reasonably fit for purpose.

You have until 30/11/2010 - to remit to me a full refund of the purchase price.

Should I not receive a full refund it is my intention to commence legal proceedings to recover the purchase price together with interest and costs without further notice.

If you are in any doubt as to what to do with this letter then I suggest that you place it before your solicitors without delay.

Yours faithfully [/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]
                  [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']i will of course put in car details and date[/FONT]
                  [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']thanks[/FONT]
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  is this ok guys
                  will put all car details in
                  Last edited by nannieali; 22nd November 2010, 22:06:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes, this is fine. Send it and then wait and see what happens. Remember, it is unlawful for them to attempt to deny your son his statutory rights. Keep all correspondence and file your claim at the expiry of the deadline in your letter. Should you require help with writing the particulars of claim, come back and ask.

Comment

Don't forget to send it signed for. Or if you are handing it in yourself, ask for written acknowledgement that they received the letter.

Comment

many thanks guys, how does son file his claim??????????????? will it cost money??? where does he have to do it???????????
                        he has sent letter recorded delivery

Comment

For you information:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargain...3&in_page_id=5

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...all_claims.htm

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-claims-court/

You should find every thing you need to know in the links above, but if you need anymore help post again.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nannieali View Post
                            many thanks guys, how does son file his claim??????????????? will it cost money??? where does he have to do it???????????
                            he has sent letter recorded delivery
                            You are putting the cart before the horse. Your son may not need to file a claim. Wait and see what results from the letter and take this one step at a time.

Comment

Indeed the next step is a letter before action (LBA)

sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X