• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

court papers arrived today - what now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: court papers arrived today - what now

mmm, I was under the impression if they accept a short settlement but put in writing that the debt cannot be pursued or sold on to any other third party and agree to mark the credit file as settled partial, then its job done?

but no?

thanks

Comment

Always caution with, MBNA...

Comment

THANKS...whats your advice on how I proceed...time is against me.
        if i write saying do you accept x on the basis of full n final and no further liability etc etc, I suspect it will take 1 week to get soemthing back...and even then i bet its not what i need

aaaaaaaah....i have a bad feeling I will get stitched up here

Comment

My apologies, I did not intend to cause to you, concern.
          But, I have heard of problems that have arisen due to accepting short settlements re: MBNA.

Always best to get ALL the i's and t'd crossed and in writing, prior to accepting same.

Comment

No you won't get stitched up, thats why you get it in writing before paying anything, and as I said before get a consent order agreed with optima and lodged with the court - which is then binding. See what the letter says Monday then go back to get it formalised if you agree.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, concluded the verbal negotiations with them and they have confirmed they will accept £x as short settlement, and I have confirmed I will pay on Friday (giving me time to get funds from relations), subject to receiving written confirmation that the liability of the debt is removed, and neither the client or any other thir party will be entitled to pursue any debt in association with the account

might get letter tomorrow but should get by weds

hope this correct

Comment

no post today

Comment

didnt arrive again today - I have a feeling I will be left without anything in writing and run the risk of being seen to ignore the court papers if not careful

Comment

hi, letter arrived today, but its not 100% what i needed

we refer to the above matter and your recent offer to pay £xxxx.00 in setllement of our clients claim

upon consideration of all matters our client has decided to accept this sum, subject to payment being made by xx/xx

on receipt of your short settlement we will notify our client, who will no longer pursue you for the remaining balance and will update your redit file to reflect this as a partial settlement in addition to the default already registered with the credit reference agencies.##

This isnt what I need, as It doesnt say it wont be pursued by a 3rd party., and the deadline for court return in Monday.....i dont know whether to pay and hope they dont sell on, or dig me heels in, but run the risk of the CCJ being raised anyway as I am out of time:tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Hi,

Just a thought, you could always make a "counter" offer.

ie send your payment with a letter saying exactly what you want it to say, eg further to or telephone conversation on the xx and your correspondence of the xx - short settlement, debt now cleared, wont be sold on to a 3rd party etc etc

and end it with something like "the cashing of this cheque will be deemed to be your full acceptance of these terms" plus "and you will file a discontinuance of proceedings with the court by the xx"

Just an option....

Comment

I love it - sounds a great idea, BUT, I dont own a cheque book and therefore having to make payment by Debit card (basic account)

i am getting myself stressed about this - i wonder if I am worrying unneccessarily, but if I hand over this money I have nothing / very little left and really dont want them coming back at me

Comment

go to the bank and get a bank draft made payable to them - basically its a "bank" cheque

Comment

Spoke to Bank and they can issue a bankers draft for a fee of £10.....I now have another problem though, cash isnt in there, its coming from various sources including BACS from my mum, and I would need to post bankers draft 1st class Friday to ensure they get it in time, and I dont think I will have the cash in tomorrow (i could be wrong and wont know until 2am when bank systems update)

sorry I sound like I have problem after problem....

Comment

all nearly sorted. I know capitals is shouting but for everyone who took time out THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I have emailed confirmation from the solicitors that a new letter has been sent 1st class with the additional paragrpah

Upon receipt of payment, I can also confirm that neither ourselves, our client nor any associate company will take any other action to enforce or pursue this debt in any way whatsoever and that you will be released from any liability.

I am satisfied this leaves me covered and will make the payment on Monday - I hope to have letter in hand, but failing this I think the email cofnirming its been issued will have to suffice. I have funds ready

THANK YOU ALL

Comment

Excellent. Make sure you inform the court it has been settled.
                                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X