• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

50/50 split is so not equal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50/50 split is so not equal

This is not going to be a quick one, so please bear with me!

Two siblings A and B are left a house to be split 50/50 - equal share, equal say on what happens to it etc.

Probate in February values it at £160k, possible £165k on the open market.
    (Even split 80,000 - 82,500)

A gets Estate agents in to view in March/April, who are probably looking at getting it on their books and inflate the price for their commission. Estimates are between £170k and £190k.
    (Even split after legal fees and commission of 2k is between 84 and 89k).

A wants B to pay 88k or the house must go on the open market.
    B wants the house, but does not think the house is worth that much, but agrees, despite no evidence the house would achieve anything like that on the open market.
    The agreement was that B had to sell their house by a certain date.

B cannot sell own home in time to pay A, so applies for a mortgage.
    Mortgage company's intructed surveyor comes back at £159k, and home buyers report at £155k.
    (Even split £78,500 or £76,500, with fees deducted).

Taking into consideration that house prices have dropped in the year, but the house would have been, at the most £165k (even split after fees of £81,500) B offered A £85k, which is £3,500 more than a 50/50 split, and equal to the house being worth £170k, or £15k more than the market value.

A claims it is the delays in selling B's house that have caused the drop. A believes in effect the joint property was worth £160k probate in March, or £165k on the open market (with fees etc to be deducted), that by March/April it had gone up in value to about £190k (an increase of £25K in under 8 weeks) and dropped again by November by £35k, and it's all B's fault.
    B had offered to pay the difference in the TRUE February top valuation of £165k and the £155k it is now worth - £85k.
    Questions are -
    Can A force B to pay more than the 50/50 split.
    Can A force the house to be put on the market when B does not want it to be.
    If they have a 50/50 share/right does one person's wishes 'top trump' the other's.
    As B has offered more than the open market price can A force B to Court to get the house on the market.
    As A appears to have inflated the open market price to get a financial advantage over B, are there any comebacks. B had agreed the £88 because there was no reason at the time not to trust A, although A never offered any proof the figures were correct, genuine, or were ever more that dreamt up by avarice on the part of the Estate agents.
    Would a suggested asking price by a vendor have an equal legal standing in a court as a probate value, mortgage appraisal and a home buyers report, all of which have been signed off by the relevant qualified surveyor.

A knows B wants the house, and is willing to pay a reasonable sum over the market value. A is holding out for a considerable figure higher than that.
    Does the fact that A is demanding more than a 50/50 split and threatening B with putting the house on the market if B does not pay what is effect a sizeable chunk of money amount to extortion or blackmail.
    I did read somewhere that legally blackmail is when someone uses threats against another for financial or other gain to make them act in a way that is not in their best interest.
    E.G. A telling B that if B does not give A more money that they are entitled to in the will A will deprive B of something B wants, even though A and B are equal partners.

Any thoughts, hints, suggestions etc I can throw at A to get reason into the debate.
    I think there is a lot more than just the money riding on this, and it is being used as an excuse.
    A hates the thought of B getting anything that A hasn't - even if A has first refusal and does not want it, B must not be allowed to get it instead.
    Even if A lost every penny in the battle to prevent B getting the house, it would still keep going trying to get one over.

I think it has gone beyond the money - demanding more than a reasonable amount over the half split was a way of forcing B's hand. A wanted to see how far B would go, then it could used as an excuse to pull out of a deal that A never wanted to be fair when B said 'Enough'.
    Last edited by Natwestvictim; 14th November 2010, 15:04:PM. Reason: got a couple of A's and B's in the wrong order
    Tags: None

Re: 50/50 split is so not equal

Firstly a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, ie: you can put a house up for sale for £200k but if no one wants to pay that and you get £150k then so be it.

To be honest all this arguing about who gets what share, or buys the other out could go on forever, the best thing they should do in my opinion is sell the house, and then once everything is paid out then split the proceeds.

Sorry if its not what you want to hear, but in my experience its the best thing than can be done.

Comment

What a shame when a well intentioned move by a lost loved one leads to the above situation. I agree wholeheartedly with Sapphire on this. I sold my house in North Somerset with difficulty for £165000. Just 7 weeks later it was resold for £215000. As Sapphire says, it's the luck of the draw, and anything is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, true it's not what I wanted to hear as it could be a great place, when a lot of money has been spent on it.
        Maybe it will be put on the market, and then the best offer topped by £2k by Anne Onymouse-Buyer.
        It could work out cheaper in the long run!
        Keeping fingers, and everything else crossed.
        2010 is nearly over - it's been a dreadful one and I can't wait to see the back of it.

Comment

Good luck hun, sometimes its better to let go and look forwards. I know what I'm talking about, my parents left me property and I refused to let it go and rented it out until I was ready to let it go, I had all kids of problems, even telephone calls whilst on holiday in Portugal, so selling up eventually was the best thing.

Comment

Ah Portugal! The only ray of sunshine in an otherwise cruddy year.
            If I'd been a few years older, and could retire there, or sprog a few years younger and not yet started school I would have been there like a shot, sipping sangria in the sun and working on my brown lines rather than stuck here working on my frown lines.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X