• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitors Letter Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitors Letter Help!

Hi all

I'm new here and need some help.

I am currently trying to claim back charges from Mint (Royal Bank of Scotland) the charges are over £500 and the balance on the card is £460.22, I have received a letter today from Green & Co Solicitors advising that they have been instructed by RBS to get back the money by commencing legal proceedings unless I make use of one final opportunity to make full payment within 7 days.

Unfortunately as I've advised them before I had to leave due to ill health (severe depression) so as we are struggling to pay the mortgage let alone trying to live theres no way I can pay this.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Katy
    Tags: None

Re: Solicitors Letter Help!

Originally posted by vintagekatyjane View Post
    Hi all

I am currently trying to claim back charges from Mint (Royal Bank of Scotland) the charges are over £500 and the balance on the card is £460.22, I have received a letter today from Green & Co Solicitors advising that they have been instructed by RBS to get back the money by commencing legal proceedings unless I make use of one final opportunity to make full payment within 7 days.

Unfortunately as I've advised them before I had to leave due to ill health (severe depression) so as we are struggling to pay the mortgage let alone trying to live theres no way I can pay this.

Thanks

Katy
    Hi Katy and welcome to LB

Did you receive a reply from RBS about the charges and if not how long ago did you write and was the letter sent recorded delivery?

Comment

Hiya Thanks!

Yes I did receive a reply from them with all the charges and details broken down about a month ago. I have since compiled the letter asking for my charges back, I am going to post it recorded delivery this afternoon.

Comment

Green & Co are the 'in house' sols for RBS so probably sit on the desk next to the person dealing with your claim.

I found RBS/Mint very easy to deal with when reclaiming charges so I hope your experience with them is the same.

Let us know how you get on with this.
        Last edited by middenmess; 3rd November 2010, 15:25:PM. Reason: added to

Comment

Thanks for this, how do I reply to the solicitors letter?

Also do I need to make a payment in the meantime?

Thanks for your help
          Last edited by vintagekatyjane; 3rd November 2010, 15:30:PM. Reason: added

Comment

Hi all

Thanks

Katy
            Hiya Katy,

Firstly and very importantly for you, please try not to worry! I too took early retirement for severe depression and am in the middle of a relapse now, so you're not alone. I'm not sure where Middenmess is going with this one, so will leave you in his capable hands for now, but remember they cannot get blood out of a stone and no court in the land would let them!

I've managed to sort my problems out and mine amount to well over £20000, so I'm as sure as I can be that you'll be OK!

Take care,

David

Comment

I'd include a reference to the sols letter in with your claims letter along the lines of..

'I trust you can liaise with your sols.Green & Co. regarding their demand recived xxxx 2010 ref.xyz to settle the account and inform them of the fact that you are dealing with my claim to have charges repaid which when accepted will clear my account'

I can't advise as to making a payment as I don't know the state of your account but you could also include in the letter something like....

''As the repayment of my charges will clear my account I have not felt the neccessity to include payment at this time as this might well complicate your calculations when agreeing my refund''

But this has to be your choice as it is rarely advisable to with hold any payment that is due and might incur another late charge.

Others might advise differently however.

I'd also phone them on Monday morning to see if things were proceeding OK and that they had been in touch with Greens.
              Last edited by middenmess; 3rd November 2010, 15:48:PM. Reason: added to

Comment

Thanks David, I worry enough with my health and then when I'm having severe money problems letters like that dont help!

Comment

Thanks David, I worry enough with my health and then when I'm having severe money problems letters like that dont help!
                  No problem and I see you've had good advice - thanks Middenmess!:beagle:

By the way Katy there's a really good mental health forum on here - tends to be very active in the evenings. It's totally non-judgmental, no stigma, full of people in or who have been in the same boat. Feel free to join us anytime!

David
                  Last edited by Caspar; 3rd November 2010, 17:00:PM.

Comment

Nice clear advice on this thread guys.

Comment

Hi Katy and welcome.

So sorry to hear of your issues here, but you will get lots of help and advice/support to get you through all this.

May I also suggest that your welcome to post on the thread below, I started a thread in regards of my husband's depression and he got through this eventually with help and support.

So please do not feel alone in this and feel free to chat and get things off your chest on the thread below....

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=24936

Its actually subjected as "Depression/Hubby".

Hope to see you there, keep smiling and keep that chin up, you will get through this.

Di

Comment

Katy, Middenmess's advice is spot on, send the letter to reclaim the charges and take it from there. Make sure you include interest on the charges, and if you have calculated the charges and interest on a spreadsheet send a copy with your letter.
                        Is no longer here

Comment

Wendy,

Interest at 8%?

If so how exactly is it worked out? The interest at the start would be less than at the end - presumably look when the charges were imposed and add interest on from that date onwards to the rising total amount?

Comment

interest at 8% is s.69 which you add on if you file an N1. I mean the interest that the charges have accrued on the credit card balance. Use a spreadsheet, there's some on here somewhere. Stick in the date, amount of charge and the relevant interest rate (the one applied on the CC) and it works it all out for you.
                            Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
                              interest at 8% is s.69 which you add on if you file an N1. I mean the interest that the charges have accrued on the credit card balance. Use a spreadsheet, there's some on here somewhere. Stick in the date, amount of charge and the relevant interest rate (the one applied on the CC) and it works it all out for you.
                              I'm assuming that to run up £500 in charges must have taken some time and therefore if contractual interest at whatever [say 25%] is compounded over several years + 8% then the total being claimed is likely to be approaching a four figure sum.

We don't know if these charges are from the last 6 years or whether they go back a lot further.

I think that more detail on these charges is needed before we advise on claiming interest as from Katy's opening post she just wants this sorted asap and RBS off her back as she has health issues as well as money difficulties to contend with.

We also have to be minded of the decision about charges in the recent Amex v Brandon case.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X