• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cheque Clearance Times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheque Clearance Times

I am going to pay in a cheque in a couple of days to my Alliance and Leicester account. I am told that the clearance time is "Up to ten days".

Alliance and Leicester formed part of the working group which, in 2006, agreed the "2,4,6" rule; 2 days to bear interest on the money paid in, 4 days before the money was drawable, and 6 days for certainty the cheque could not bounce.

Pushing the issue with both customer services and a local branch, I was told "We're now operating under Santander procedures. The cheque clearance time is normally up to 7 days but with larger amounts this extends to ten days".

Are Santander bound by the 2,4,6 rule (which is part of the Banking Code) or can they simply ignore it?

Tom
    I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
    Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.
    Tags: None

Re: Cheque Clearance Times

Don't take as gospel truth, but just spent half an hour trying to find an answer and the common one seems to be allow seven full working days.

Comment

Funny though if you write a cheque just before payday they take it from your account immediatly

Comment

Originally posted by StoneLaughter View Post
        I am going to pay in a cheque in a couple of days to my Alliance and Leicester account. I am told that the clearance time is "Up to ten days".

Alliance and Leicester formed part of the working group which, in 2006, agreed the "2,4,6" rule; 2 days to bear interest on the money paid in, 4 days before the money was drawable, and 6 days for certainty the cheque could not bounce.

Pushing the issue with both customer services and a local branch, I was told "We're now operating under Santander procedures. The cheque clearance time is normally up to 7 days but with larger amounts this extends to ten days".

Are Santander bound by the 2,4,6 rule (which is part of the Banking Code) or can they simply ignore it?
        All banks work the same. The fact that some didn't do that is irrelevant. The 2 4 6 rule would be 10 normal days(including weekeds) so the 7 days is working days or 10 days.
        You need to ask them when you can draw on the money, ie many banks allow you to withdraw from them after 4 days(usually even less) but to be certain it won't bounce then it is as I have said, 10 normal days which is cleared for fate.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by StoneLaughter View Post

What I found interesting is that if you go into the card part of the Santander website it says clearly they're signed up to the banking code, go into the current account section and it's not even mentioned.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X