• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Allegation of Shoplifting at M&S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allegation of Shoplifting at M&S

I've recently been humiliated.

My wife and I were recently shopping in M&S with our 5 months old daughter, we bought 2 items, paid for them and left the store to continue our shopping at TK Maxx, after entering TKmaxx, we were surprised when 2 policemen accosted my wife and said she was was under suspicion for removing items from M&S, concealing it in the buggy and not paying for them. We were detained at a corner of the TKmaxx while our small baby was crying, we were searched but the policemen found all our receipts intact and issued us a ‘stop and search’ papers saying we were free to go.

It was very traumatising for us. We never believed this will ever happen to us, we were forced to lift our 5 months old baby up while her buggy was searched. I am really traumatised and unhappy. Can I bring a legal action against M and S for subjecting us to this humiliating treatment? Pls note that this is not necessarily for monetary claim - It was very humiliation and they had no basis for the suspicion.
    After my complaint letter to 'Stuart Rose' (CEO M&S) about our unfair treatment, I have just received a letter from saying the police acted on their own and did not respond to any call from M&S. ''therefore M&S cannot be held responsible for a police action''.

This is a lie because there was no way the police would have acted on his own initiative, the policeman wasn't even at the M&S store when we were shopping, so how come he knew we shoplifted at M&S.

anther thing is, the policeman gave us a form in which he declared that he received a call via radio from M&S saying we removed items without paying for them. So he couldn't have been acting on his own

What do I do? Instead of a simple sorry, they have aggravated the situation.

Re: Allegation of Shoplifting at M&S

If you have proof, as you say the form from the police officer that they received a call from M&S. Send M&S a copy, with a strongly worded letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
      If you have proof, as you say the form from the police officer that they received a call from M&S. Send M&S a copy, with a strongly worded letter.
      In the letter I sent to 'Stuart', I attached the form from the police that stated thst 'He received a radio call from M&S about us shoplifting''

even after attaching this, 'Stuart' is still saying the police acted on his own volition. This is a lie of course.

Comment

Ok
        As an ex officer, if they didnt do the search correctly, you can sue the Police.

I would ask you to think exactly what the officers said to you when they approached you.
        Also exactly how did they search,ie what order they searched in.

From what you have put on your post, it sounds very wrong.

Have you still got the Stop Account form? can you scan it?
        What force was this.

Let me just say that I wont be telling you what to say to make it an illegal search, just that i will let you know whether it was aon the basis of what happened.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

PKea

Comment

see the attached police form..
          Last edited by Yinkanno; 5th October 2007, 12:45:PM.

Comment

I'd go back and remove your personal details from the form

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
              I'd go back and remove your personal details from the form
              Thanks,

completely forgotten

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X