• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Constant marketing phone calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Constant marketing phone calls

A businessman plagued by nuisance phone calls offering compensation for Payment Protection Insurance has secured £220 in an out-of-court settlement.
    Richard Herman, 53, was so fed up with the unwanted calls arriving from India, he decided to take matters into his own hands.
    He warned the company that, in future, he would invoice them £10 for every minute of his time they used.
    When the calls continued he began recording them before finally invoicing the company £195 for their use of his "time, telephone and electricity".
    Upon receipt of the invoice the marketing firm acting on behalf of UK-based PPI Claimline Ltd, denied making the calls. When Mr Herman revealed he had recorded evidence, they still refused to pay.
    But when Mr Herman filed a claim in the small claims court for the unpaid invoice - plus £25 in costs - the company offered to settle the debt out of court and transferred £220 into his bank account.
    Mr Herman said: "I kept being called, as we all do, and I thought the only way for them to stop would be for me to speak to them and say, 'For goodness sake, take me off your list!'
    "Then it occurred to me to tell them that if they call again I'll charge for my time. When they continued calling I sent them an invoice for 19.5 minutes."
    To encourage others to do the same Mr Herman has set up a website with examples of covering letters and invoices to send to nuisance callers.
    Even though the validity of Mr Herman's original invoice was not tested in court, he believes anyone who warns cold-calling companies they will be charged if they call, have a right to invoice them.
    "I did business studies at 17 and studied 'offer-and-acceptance' so I knew a verbal contract is just as valid as a written one but harder to prove.
    "The recorded calls proved I did tell them I would charge for my time if they called again".
    Mr Herman, who works in the telephone industry selling call-recording equipment, said his action was a last resort after asking the Information Commissioner and the Telephone Preference Service for help.
    In a statment, PPI Claimline said: "We would like to stress that all our supplier relationships are subject to strict contractual provisions requiring full compliance with all relevant regulations, including those which relate to data protection and the telephone preference service.
    "We would like to draw a clear line between the two calls to Mr Herman made on behalf of PPI Claimline and any other calls he received, which were nothing to do with PPI Claimline or its suppliers."

Comment

I do not know if this is connected, got home to message an answer phone (unavailable/international number)
      I did not catch the name as the computerised voice started too speak before the end of the answer phone message.
      The gist was that I as i was sixty I would shortly be getting up to £1000 (oh yes?!) to press button five if I wished to continue or button nine if i wished to subscribe!
      Wish I knew who it was as I would report them
      Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Done some digging, quite clearly a scam call.If you do respond you are connected to a premium rate line.
        Well its their phone they wasted as the message was on for a while!
        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X