• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Constant marketing phone calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant marketing phone calls

I have over the last 3 months reported mainly marketing telephone calls to TPS.

My telephone line is with BT, and I am ex directory and as you are aware registered with TPS and have been registered since 2004, I did however check with them to make sure I was still registered, and it was confirmed yes.

Anyway, it started off with government reclaiming companies, lots of numbers withheld though, so could not make notes of them as such.

But over the last 3 months, its been non stop BT marketing calls.
    I was sure when registered online with BT that I made sure I receive no such calls with them, unless its about billing of course.

Anyhow, BT sales rang up to 5/6 times a day, my hubby works shifts, and when he works nights, that is hard work, I do turn the volume down but its a right flipping pain.
    I told BT on every occasion that I was not interested, please remove my details and I know where they are if I want to query any product with them.

This went on and on, so in August I decided to give BT a phone call, ask that they remove my details, and was getting fed up, explained I just lost my beloved dad, and did not need this all the time.
    They put me through to the dept who deals with this and they came on the phone, apologised, reassured me the details were removed and no further calls after 28 days.

But.........28 days gone and the calls started again, so again got in touch!
    They again apologised and promised no further market calls and the details removed, and no further calls after 28 days. I made a point I was told that the month before, but all they could do was apologise and offer me to change my tel number free of charge, I said this isn't going to change things!

And yes you can guess..........28 days later, it started all over again!!!

Got my hair off this time I emailed them, told them its all reported to TPS and am going to contact the ICO as well, they emailed back within a short time, trying to make out that they had to re-register my details with TPS, I told them NO, I have already been in touch with them and its confirmed I am registered, told them I taken a note of all telephone calls, numbers, dates and times.
    They then again reassured me the details were removed, but enough is enough!

I have received an email back from TPS, copy here below.....

Dear Mrs
    Thank you for your recent communication about the unsolicited direct marketing telephone call you received on your Telephone Preference Service registered number.
    Unsolicited telephone calls are covered by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 which are enforced by the Information Commissioner's Office. The attached fact sheet briefly explains what the law says.
    We will now contact the company that called you to ask them to investigate your complaint. We will also tell them to suppress your number so that they do not call you again. The calls should stop within 28 days.
    But in the unlikely event that we are unable to resolve your complaint and the organisation does not stop making unsolicited telesales calls to your TPS or CTPS registered number, you should let us know by completing the complaint form online at TPS Registration.
    We will check your complaint against any response we have received from the organisation that is calling you and consider how best to resolve this matter. This may involve referring your complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office (the organisation which enforces the law on unsolicited direct marketing). Please see the attached fact sheet for further information.
    Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention. We work closely with the ICO and the information you have provided will help us and them identify those organisations which are persistently making these types of calls and take action where appropriate.

Yours faithfully,

Team Leader
    Telephone Preference Service

Re: Constant marketing phone calls

I am sorry, I should have posted this in the "Telecommunications" thread,
    Please could someone move this over to the above thread for me? thanks folks.:doh:

Comment

Interesting. This exact issue was covered by Watchdog this week with BT making nuisance (and if I recall correctly sometimes silent) calls to their own customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
        Interesting. This exact issue was covered by Watchdog this week with BT making nuisance (and if I recall correctly sometimes silent) calls to their own customers.

Really?
        I missed out on that one, damn!
        Thanks for posting though, I will check it out online on their website.
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

Is this it here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...cold_call.html

One of the comments stated.......yeah where have i heard that one before????

BT, who has its own nuisance call advice line, is another culprit. Watchdog caught up with Jo Stanton who told us:
        "It's been constant phone calls, and at least one phone call every day. I find these calls a real annoyance, a complete pest, it's definitely an intrusion into our family life".
        Since Jo contacted Watchdog BT have apologised and removed her details from their calling list.
        Last edited by di30; 13th October 2010, 22:51:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i bet all these calls are from a call centre out of the uk which makes it that much harder i had the exact same problem a couple of years ago and had to change number
          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
            i bet all these calls are from a call centre out of the uk which makes it that much harder i had the exact same problem a couple of years ago and had to change number

Yes its possible PF.

I also checked on "whocallsme" website and it seems the same companies with the same tel numbers have been reported on there too.

Its mainly a 0800 number.

Comment

We don't answer any 0800 numbers anymore and we've turned off our answering machine taking the view anyone we want to get hold of us has always got our mobiles if it's that urgent. It's great to come in and not have an answering machine full of silence, and though slightly annoying still, we have the main phone on a very quiet ringtone so it can ring and ring without really driving us round the twist.

Comment

I understand that these calls are extremely annoying, but in BT's defence it would appear to me that they have done exactly what you requested them to do - and that is to remove your details.

However, you are a customer of theirs so I should imagine your details are fairly easy for BT to pick up and because they deleted them previously, as you requested them to do, they will have no record of you not wishing to receive these calls. Then the cycle begins again, every 28 days.

With a company as large as BT it is not unreasonable that this is the case and shouldn't come as a surprise.

I would suggest that the correct thing to have done, is to request that your details be surpressed rather than deleted because as you have found, if something is deleted then it's simply not there any more and if something is not there, how can they be expected to check it?

Comment

Hi Amy, thanks for that.

So by requesting to remove the details from the marketing register is not guaranteed then?

Good idea to request for the details to be surpressed though, cheers for that, will see how it goes anyway.
                  Most of the calls though they have admitted its those of BT.
                  I will have to replace my phone anyway cos the screen is not working where you can see the numbers come up as it rings.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                    So by requesting to remove the details from the marketing register is not guaranteed then?
                    No, I think it is happening and they are removing your details, but this is not really what you want for the reasons given above.

You want them surpressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                      No, I think it is happening and they are removing your details, but this is not really what you want for the reasons given above.

You want them surpressed.

Right, got you, thanks again.
                      I think I should get on to this now then perhaps?

Comment

Received a letter through the post from BT......

Dear Mrs XXXXX

Our Ref:

The Telephone Preference Scheme Ltd (TPSL) has passed on to us your complaint regarding some unsolicited marketing calls you recently received.

We are sorry that you received sales and marketing calls from BT.
                        I confirm that you are on BT's suppression list. This means that you will not receive sales and marketing calls from BT in the future.

Yours sincerely

BT Customer Service.

Comment

will that work with sky phone because we are having the same to us. Most of them have a foreign accent. The best one for me had to be when I asked who was I talking too and the man said "who am I today - oh yes hi my name is simon".

Sky have told us that we need to get a company from the net but we will be charged.

thats not fair why should we pay for them bothering us.

Comment

I don't think you should be paying.

I assumed to be with SKY you will have a BT phone line, so this should include SKY as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kazb64 View Post
                              will that work with sky phone because we are having the same to us. Most of them have a foreign accent. The best one for me had to be when I asked who was I talking too and the man said "who am I today - oh yes hi my name is simon".

Sky have told us that we need to get a company from the net but we will be charged.

thats not fair why should we pay for them bothering us.
                              Sky is a Murdoch company and it seems to have the same, flexible concept of veracity for which the Dirty Digger, his son and their tabloid press have become so notorious.

More concisely, the Sky customer-wallah told you a lie. The TPS scheme (link) is completely free and, if Sky does not cease and desist after you have registered, you can make a complaint that might get the scoundrels prosecuted. :flypig:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X