• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

United Utilities - no notice of action.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Utilities - no notice of action.

Hi
    Just received a claim form for a CCJ from UU today missed two monthly instalments of £64 which includes part of last years bill but never received any follow up letters from UU as regards the payments or intention of any action, can they just issue a claim form for a CCJ like that without giving you any prior notice!

Re: United Utilities - no notice of action.

Anyone any thoughts please.

Comment

Have a read of this, especially page 10. It appears they are within their rights!

http://www.smallclaims.me.uk/smallcl...ex350_0406.pdf

Comment

That flow chart starts with filing the claim. There are preaction protocols to follow in any claim. Is this a water company ? (sorry I have no idea who United Utitilites are) Water is just a general civil court claim, and yes you should have a preaction letter. Did they send letters after each missed installment that they could be using as preaction letters ?

I know Severn Trent took me to court pretty pronto after missed installments but I did have a warning letter (I just ignored it).
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No not a bean off them since I missed my payment two months ago and missed the second one last month which got me thinkin about protocols Amethyst.

Take a look at this just googled the Company found this

http://www.unitedutilities.com/Docum...t_recovery.pdf

Interestingly they have put in their Particulars Of Claim £360 is due from the defendant for water charges for period to 31/03/11, full particulars of which have been supplied to the Defendant! OH NO THEY HAVE NOT!!!

Would you ring them OR Defend it on that basis of not following their Codes of Practice, when it could quite easily have been addressed without Court proceedings as I only missed two payments and it is for the period up to March next year.

Comment

Well I'd ring them in the first instance and say oi, whats going on, but thats just me. I think the formal advice would be to respond to the court claim with a defence about the lack of preaction protocols and the lack of particulars, but if you ring them (and pay something?) they might withdraw you never know your luck. Worth a shot.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thanks Amethyst

Will give them a buzz tomorrow,

If It came to defending the lack of preaction protocols and the lack of particulars
              Obviously I owe the money so were it says on the Acknowledgement of service

Tick the appropriate box

1. I intend to defend all this claim

2. I intend to defend part of the claim

3. I intend to contest jurisdiction (what does this one mean)

Which one do I tick and do I still fill in the Admission form.

Comment

for now tick intend to defend all, leaves yourself open to the extra couple weeks without any committment to admit anything. (it doesnt tie you to defending either so you can still just admit and offer ) If its through northampton bulk centre you can do it online at moneyclaim (details on front of claim form)
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just as a word of comfort, we got into a real mess two years ago with Welsh Water (Dwr Cymru). Although they never took us to court or gave notice of a CCJ they sent VERY threatening letters. One thing to remember is THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CUT YOU OFF! so don't worry about that. We missed ours for over a year and ignored all letters. Eventually they wrote saying they assumed we'd moved house so were going to disconnect the water supply if they didn't hear. I wrote back saying we hadn't moved so they couldn't cut us off. It was several months later I was in a position to "catch up" and phoned them.

In your situation keep all options open for the moment. Also I would imagine that by ticking the box you're going to defend will show they may have a bit of a fight on their hand - especially in light of the fact that they haven't stuck to their own agreement!

It's only two payments so you're not talking a large amount. Phone them and apologise profusely. Explain your circumstances - would pay in full if I could but just don't have the money etc.... and see if you can come to an informal payment arrangement. That's what we did in the end!

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

RESULT!

Did as you said Amethyst but just ticked defend part of it, as I do owe it but said that I was not prepared to pay their solicitors fee or costs due to the Claimant not following their Codes of Practice and attached a copy of them along with my witness statement and sent it back to the court.

I also put in my statement that I know of people whom are allot more than two payments behind with their water bill and owe allot more money that me, of which they have never been taken to Court and can prove that fact so why have I been singled out.

Plus I sent a CPR31.16 request to the Claimant to disclose how they managed to cock my account up last year that put me in this situation in the first place.

Gave them 10 days and of course they just ignored me so wrote to the Court, to add to my Witness Statement that their Complaints procedure seems to be in line with their Codes of Practice "NON EXISTENT "

Received not one letter but TWO today from United Utilities today, Basically stating failed to advise you this, failed to advise you that, and failed to advise you other, GROVEL, GROVEL, GROVEL, and after reviewing the circumstances of my case they have asked the Court to withdraw their Claim and remove any Court fees and Cost from my account.

NOW FOR THEIR REGULATOR OFWAT!!!!
                    Last edited by The Tinkerman; 28th October 2010, 18:17:PM.

Comment

Brilliant result - well done you!!!!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X