• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EDF Energy bill/debt problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF Energy bill/debt problems

Hi,

This is a copy of my post on another website which noone seems to want to respond to. I was hoping someone here can help with my problem because i am desperate and at my wits end...

I am currently on a prepayment meter with EDF because of a debt with them but I was concerned about the high level of debt, i emailed them to ask for units used, price etc. So baring in mind i live in a small 2 bed house this is what i got back from them.

date joined edf on credit meter: June 2006
    Date prepayment meter fitted: August 2008

Total Units used on credit meter: 36453 daytime, 12462 nighttime
    Total unit used on prepay meter to date: 9004 day, 2066 nightime

So I have been with them for 4 years and approximately 2 years on each type of meter. The total debt when prepayment meter fitted was £4,200 for 2 years worth of electric on credit meter, and £1371.69 for 2 years worth of electic on prepayment.

I have gas central heating and fire and my water and heating all come from the gas, so i am only using the electric for normal house hold things like the telly, kettle, lights, cooking etc. In the scheme of things my usage would have gone up since the prepay was fitted because i had an electric shower installed last November and i now have a pond pump running 24/7.

I am paying back the debt at £15.00 a week and it is just under £3000 remaining. and there is a £3.75 pw meter charge.

I was asked to call them, which i did this afternoon, so that they could go through a consumption checklist with me of which the things i said i was using tallied up with the meter and about 20units per day. they said that they need to put it through for investigation now and will hear from them in 7 - 10days.

I want to know if anyone else has been through the same and if they will put this right. I never thought to check it before, dont understand the bills, infact i never read them. I got behind with them quarterly bills were coming in at £500 a month and i couldnt afford it. But I trusted these people, I thought they would get it right.

The past 2 years have been really tight with paying this back. At £40.00 a week electric (with only £20.00 going towards the weeks electric). We have had to fight all the way because initially they put the repayment at £50.00 a week, they begrudingly settled on £25.00, and then £15.00 after much persistance and faxing over every proof of income, bank statement, proof of id i could lay my hands on. We are a low income family even though we work.

U P D A T E

So heres whats happened so far.
    Following EDF's investigation they confirmed that the meter was right as any errors would flag up. At no point did they think to send someone to check the meter for its high consumption of a small house. they tell me there is nothing more they can do and that i owe them that money.

I emailed Consumer Direct about this which i received their reply today telling me that because they wont have the credit meter to check if it was faulty there is nothing more i can do even though my conclusion is rightly founded. The Energy Ombudsmen wont want to know because the dispute is over 9 months old even though i have emailed them and expect to hear from them either way in 20days. Consumer direct suggested the only course of action is legal action but after going through a legal aid checker i dont qualify even though i am a low earner. I have emailed communitylegaladvice.org.uk for advice today. Noone seems to understand that it is only due to the time elapsed that i have noticed this to be a problem at all. I am paying £173.33 per month for electric including debt repayments a level that cannot that sustained. I fear i am going to lose my house because already 6 days after getting paid there is no money left. But at least EDF still get their money. The rent has to be paid on the last day of the month due to a court order, including arrears.
    This debt is in my partners name and he doesnt work. I am tempted to move house to run away from this problem. I just cant cope anymore.

Many thanks

Re: EDF Energy bill/debt problems

Hiya

I'm on a prepayment meter too, with E-On. I have a two bed end terraced victorian house and have electric central heating which I hardly use as it costs a bomb.

So for normal day to day living my electric for last year came in at £1300. If that helps as a guide for a similar size house.

At the moment I am using around £15 a week electric. In winter when I do put heating on it can go up to £120 a month but I've got a gas heater at the moment so £15 is right if a little on the high side as my immersion tank (on for two hours a day) is electric too.

So with £15 debt a week to come off too you should be putting around £30 a week into your electric meter.

How does that scan ? (about £130 a month?)

I've been through the 'Its uses too much must be something wrong with the meter' phone calls with E-On too, and nope, all was well, I just used too much. My main problem was the heating being electric and 11kw/hr which soon racks up (heating on for an hour was costing over £1) hence me not using it anymore and only having the immersion on two hours a day.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply.

My current weekly electric usage is about £22.00. Then £15.00 a week towards the debt plus £3.75 per week meter charge. Thats £18.75 before i start. If i was just paying £22.00 for my electric that would be a godsend. But £4200 in 2 years, where do they get their figures? I have only just wised up to energy companies and i know that this is way to high for my house. According to them my energy consumption over the past 2 years on the prepayment meter amounts to £1370 so god knows how i used over £4200 on the credit meter. But some how these figures to not seem right because £22.00 amounts to £1144, so over 2 years that would be £2288. But i am not surprised anymore at the duff information they keep giving me.

Anyway i have just emailed EDF a really nasty complaint letter to get them to sort this out. They cannot check the old meter as it was took out 2 years ago but i advised them to stop this sort of thing happening to other people they should perform a meter accuracy test before removing any meters.

Whats really sad in my 'trying to help myself' quest; on USWITCH.COM with my current consumption i could be paying £37.00 a month direct debit for single fuel or £68 dual fuel.

Yes i admit that i didnt pay them at all because the quarterly bills were coming in at £500, i just buried my head and ignored them. In my previous house they were £70 - £90 a quarter but that was some years ago. Well i have unburied my head and trying to fight this head on. i will get a better deal, and i will take this further. i will let you know how i get on.

Sarag

Comment

Thing is with prepay meters you do tend to use less electric because it is incredibly visible how much you are using. Mine ran out this morning, and yesterday I knew I only had £2.00 left off the emergency so I would leave the washing till today till I topped it up etc. You don't really notice you are doing it unless you sit down and think about it. Think I pay £2.70 a week standing charges then 10.05p a unit.

Anyhoo, the main issue seems to be the debt from the previous credit meter, which you are really only questionning now because you can see you spend £22 a week now, and feel it should have been the same back then too.

On your bills over those two years, which they should be able to give you copies of, it will have your units used etc so you can work those back.

I had an odd £1900 overcharge on my old credit meter, which I think I posted about on here, and it turned out they had switched my night and day rates over when doing the readings. If you had a day and night rate on the old meter might be worth checking if that could have been the case. It will be obvious on the old bills if it has happened as the numbers will be weirdly out of sequence.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Was going to give you a link to my old thread but think my head was in a weird place back then. Powergen - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
          Original thread is over on CAG Stupid bill from Powergen AGAIN

Might help give you an idea where to look to find where the discrepancies have come up, but basically you'll need the readings if you are going to work it out yourself.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X