• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Advice please on disciplinary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please on disciplinary

Hiya all

I received a letter from my employer statting that i have been suspended from my possition of work this has come as a tottal surprise to me.

The reason's for this is use of company mobile for personel calls to my wife and a problem with my paperwork being late into office, ok i can live with that but this is what the letter saying breifly.

All these matters have been brought to ur attention befor and that ur contract will be terminated without any compansation then few more lines latter then termanate without any compansation again appears.
    Then it gose on to say unless orther wise agreed a disapliary will be held on the 19/10/10.

this sounds to me like thay just want me out of the company' and offering me a carrot to get shot of me! up untill today i loved working for them but i dont no now what to do risk a disaplinary or leave i dont think this is a gross missconduct case for dissmisal but would like ur oppinions on it.

I wana say i have neva missed a day in 5yrs of service and have on plenty occasions done 15 to 19 hr shifts leaving my home sometimes at 2am and not returning to following evening staying away from home for a week a time with only 12hrs notice. any advice gratfull

Re: Advice please on disapinary

There are procedures which must be followed before dismissal, unless it comes under gross misconduct. Normally there would have to be a verbal and a written warning I believe. You say the letter says these matters have been brought to your attention before. Have they? If so, verbally or in writing? You say they are offering you a carrot, but you haven't said whay the carrot is. As to whether or not you think it's gross misconduct, that would depend on what it says in your contract I would think, as different companies may specify different things under the gross misconduct heading.

Any chance you could scan in the actual letter, with personal details removed?

I am not an expert in Employment law but am sure someone who is will be along to answer you more fully, but as I said, a bit more background etc would help.
    Is no longer here

Comment

Do you have your employment contract and disciplinary handbook/code of conduct ? have a look through those and see if it is a specific term or requirement not to use the company phone for personal calls and so on.

Have you had any warning about this in the past ? did you offer to pay for the personal calls at that point ? how many previous warnings ?

You say you received a letter - have you been on leave ? or was this at work ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

If and when you have access to a scanner, can you please scan the letter up on this thread but omitting your personal details.

Can you confirm if you have actually received any previous written notices in this connection in the past or was it just verbal and how many times have you received this verbally and the time scales i.e when you were last told about using your mobile or/and being late with the paperwork.

Do you belong to any trade union?

Comment

This sounds a bit OTT.
          An employer would normally suspend an employee before a disciplinary, to investigate the claim and to avoid the employee in question interferring with the investigation i.e to stop the employee talking to other employees (possible witnesses) but if all they are saying you have been suspended for is because of improper use of a company phone and late paperwork it would suggest that there is something else afoot.

1. You are entitled to know why you are being invited to a disciplinary.
          2. You need to be advised of your right to representation.
          3. Anything conduct related (apart from anything that constitues gross misconduct) really needs addressing with you face to face before sending you a letter.
          4. Anything performance related, again needs to be raised with you face to face first with areas to improve.

A key point here is - If the disciplinary procedure has not been followed correctly then the outcome whether that be a subsequent dismissal or warning is automatically deemed unfair.

As requested above, can you copy the letter.

Comment

Shippy - I notice your original post was in September and you have had no input since. Any news on what happened? I've dealt with a lot of disciplinary issues (always in education) and the closest I've had to your situation was personal abuse of the internet network in a school. This led to a formal written warning that stays on file for a certain period (can't remember without looking it up) and is then removed and ceases to be part of your record of employment anymore.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X