• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Very ANNOYED Re: Experian!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very ANNOYED Re: Experian!

I regularly audit my CRA files and have done so for the last 6 years.

Experian always appear to drag their heels?

My last two Limited Access Requests to Experian, were made in January and July of this year.

With regards to the January request, I waited over a month for the information and had to write a chaser letter in order to receive same.

Similar situation re: my July request, after waiting for 3 weeks had to write a chaser letter and this morning received a letter and a form:
    Applying for your credit report under s7 of the DPA.

The letter states:
    "Unfortunately, we require further information from you before we can provide you with your credit report. This is to ensure that you receive a full copy of the information.
    Please complete and return the application form and we will process your report as quickly as possible."

Experian, have received my written request and the stat. fee payable.
    They also know who I am and have all my details, as is shown and processed on my previous credit reports:
    February 2010;
    August 2009 going back...

Absolutely ENRAGED!

Re: Very ANNOYED Re: Experian!

They have done similar with me in the past.

They happily sent out previous credit reports, satisfied that they were sending them out the person entitled to them.

Then suddenly, I was asked jump though hoops to get a report.

They did back down in the end when it was (forcefully) pointed out that they had previously had all the info they could possibly require, and had sent reports out on the back of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
      They have done similar with me in the past.

They happily sent out previous credit reports, satisfied that they were sending them out the person entitled to them.

Then suddenly, I was asked jump though hoops to get a report.

They did back down in the end when it was (forcefully) pointed out that they had previously had all the info they could possibly require, and had sent reports out on the back of that.
      Yes, I know and I have experienced this before with Experian.

[Quote] by The ICO:
      Subject access request (Data Protection Act) Under the Data Protection Act, individuals can ask to see the information about themselves that is held on computer and in some paper records. If an individual wants to exercise this subject access right, they should write to the person or organisation that they believe is processing the data.
      A subject access request must be made in writing and must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. In most cases, the maximum fee will be £10, but this can vary, particularly if the information requested is for health or educational records. If a subject access request is made to a credit reference agency for financial information (ie a credit file), then the fee is £2, and the information must be provided within seven working days. A request must include enough information to enable the person or organisation to whom the subject is writing to satisfy itself as to their identity and to find the information.[Quote]

[Emphasis] If a subject access request is made to a credit reference agency for financial information (ie a credit file), then the fee is £2, and the information must be provided within seven working days."

My last request in January, took over a month but after a reminder letter was sent Experian provided the required information;
      Experian appeared to know who I was then.

But now, 7 months later I am required to prove my identity again!

If they are unsure, as to my identity, why are they processing my data?

I have already had a run in with Lee Hancock a few years back about Experian witholding my credit file...

Equifax and Callcredit, have complied but Experian always appear to put up obstacles; drag their feet

Obviously, the Experian drones are too lazy to look up and check back on previous requests.

Looks like I will have to lodge a formal complaint with the ICO, again.

Comment

An update re: post #3.

Today, I received an unsigned letter from Experian which was in response to my letter of complaint about their non-compliance of my legal request.

[Quote] by Experian:
        I am sorry but I cannot send your credit report until you have completed and signed the enclosed prepaid application form[End Quote]

I immediately telephoned the ICO again and the ICO telephone operative stated that he was surprised to learn that Experian had stated such;
        he confirmed that there is no requirement under the DPA to fill out a form.
        He further advised that I should complete an ICO complaint form and attach all relevant correspondence relating to my complaint.

Therefore, I will not enter into any further correspondence with Experian until the ICO have carried out their investigations.

Experian, are processing incorrect data about me;
        Experian, have all the neccessary information that is required, in order to provide to me a copy of my credit report;
        Experian, have received my valid and legal request by letter, including the £2 statutory fee payable.

But, refuse to comply until I complete and sign their application form; utter madness!

Comment

They are obvioudly too important to deal with the likes of us now their mate Dave is giving them a pile of contract work!!

Comment

Originally posted by FCC View Post
            They are obvioudly too important to deal with the likes of us now their mate Dave is giving them a pile of contract work!!
            Well, they are already incomptetant, so god help any poor souls data that they process in their future contract work!

One is almost reminded of David Walliams scetch in little britain; Computer says, NO...

Comment

Over 2 weeks ago I applied online to both Experian and Equifax for my £2 files. Experian accepted the payment and sent the files, albeit it took about 10 days. Equifax sent me an e-mail today saying that they had accepted my application, and I should receive the files within the next 7 days. I thought it was 7 days from Application, not acceptance of application? They seem to be doing anything they can to make you apply for the £14.95 version online.

Comment

Update:

I have received a further letter from Experian;
                they are sorry that I found it necessary to complain.

And, have now sent me a copy of my credit file.

Why on earth could they not have done that in the first place?

Their incompetance has cost me money:
                phone calls to the ICO (complaint logged) and;
                letters back and forth to Experian.

[Emphasis] The is no requirement under the Data Protection Act 1998, to fill up a form.
                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                Originally posted by FightingBack View Post
                Over 2 weeks ago I applied online to both Experian and Equifax for my £2 files. Experian accepted the payment and sent the files, albeit it took about 10 days. Equifax sent me an e-mail today saying that they had accepted my application, and I should receive the files within the next 7 days. I thought it was 7 days from Application, not acceptance of application? They seem to be doing anything they can to make you apply for the £14.95 version online.
                [Quote] ICO:

If a subject access request is made to a credit reference agency for financial information (ie a credit file), then the fee is £2, and the information must be provided within seven working days.[End Quote]

And yes, I agree with your last para, FB.
                Last edited by Angry Cat; 2nd September 2010, 13:37:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Experian are like any company/bank/whatever are about profit.

They don't a **** about people who want the statutory £2 report.

If they can, they will put obstacles in your path in the hope that you sign up to their waste of money creditexpert services.

Or they depend on the much more profitable business of flogging your private data to creditors/DCAs.

They are part of the credit industry, and share most of their corrupt morals.

Comment

Hello Folks!

If you send three requests for Limited Data Subject Access Requests (£2 Credit Checks are just abbreviated Full Data Subject Access Requests they are required to send back a little faster, but often don't), one to each of the three Debt Reference Agencies, then it is almost guaranteed that one of the three will automatically ask you for more information.

It is what they do, they Harvest Data and treat you like dirt in the process.

The extra information they ask for, is invariably information they cannot actually cross-reference. They just like to give the impression they can.

They are not the Government.

They are not a Government body.

They are not the Police.

They are not DVLA.

They are not your local Council.

They are not HM Revenue and Customs.

They are not the Land Registry.

They are not your Doctors.

They are not the NHS.

They are not the Civil Aviation Authority.

They are not the Foreign Office.

They are not the Ambulance Service.

They are not the Fire & Rescue Service.

They are not the Royal Navy.

They are not the Army.

They are not the Royal Air Force.

They are not the blokes who take away your rubbish.

They are not even the fecking Boy Scouts.

So, WTF are they going to do with any Data you send them?

What, exactly, are they going to cross-reference it with?

Beggar all, that's what. It's just Data Harvesting.

Send them an LBA. Count to 14 Days, and then take them to Court.

But do not take any nonsense from these parasites. 1,000,001 Debt Checks before the last bank induced recession did what, exactly, to stop it?

Cheers,
                    BRW

Comment

No doubt, Experian will have concluded that because they have now sent a copy of my CRA file, I will not be taking my ICO complaint any farther.

Wrong!

This is not the first time that they have put up obstacles and;
                      they are always late (7 working days is the specified timescale) but Experian take over a month to supply same.

They had all my information; I was even a member of credit expert, prior to coming to my senses and cancelling it.

Furthermore, I note that again they are processing incorrect information about me.

Experian, do not validate the information that they process, they just accept what the financial institutions have recorded is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
                        I regularly audit my CRA files and have done so for the last 6 years.

Experian always appear to drag their heels?

My last two Limited Access Requests to Experian, were made in January and July of this year.

With regards to the January request, I waited over a month for the information and had to write a chaser letter in order to receive same.

Similar situation re: my July request, after waiting for 3 weeks had to write a chaser letter and this morning received a letter and a form:
                        Applying for your credit report under s7 of the DPA.

The letter states:
                        "Unfortunately, we require further information from you before we can provide you with your credit report. This is to ensure that you receive a full copy of the information.
                        Please complete and return the application form and we will process your report as quickly as possible."

Experian, have received my written request and the stat. fee payable.
                        They also know who I am and have all my details, as is shown and processed on my previous credit reports:
                        February 2010;
                        August 2009 going back...

Absolutely ENRAGED!
                        Experian, have done it again!

I requested a copy of my credit file on 15 November 2010; I do this every 90 days.
                        15 days later: a letter arrives dated 30 November 2010:
                        "Unfortunately, we require further information from you before we can provide you with your credit report...Please complete and return the application form"

Nowhere in the DPA does it state that you have to fill up a form!

What the hell is wrong with them and why always so obstructive?
                        They have all the information necessary in order to process my legal request; GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comment

Am firing this of to Experian tomorrow:

Customer Support Centre
                          Experian
                          PO Box 1136
                          Warrington
                          WA55 1EG

COMPLAINT
                          Dear Sirs,

RE: MY REQUEST FOR INFORMATION UNDER SECTION 7 OF THE DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998

I am in receipt of your letter dated 30 November 2010, in which you state:
                          “Unfortunately, we require further information from you before we can provide you with your credit report.”

Experian already have all the necessary information in order to process my legal request.

Please be advised, that I have already had to make a complaint about Experian’s poor level of service and I enclose a copy of my previous complaint for your information.

How disappointing it is when a customer has to make a further complaint about a complaint already made!

For the sake of clarity, I received my last Experian credit report dated 19 August 2010, on 25 August 2010 and after much foot dragging by Experian; reference number: XXXXXXXX. No doubt, you have the copy letter that was attached to same on file. However, just in case you cannot be bothered to look up your letter to me dated 19 August 2010, I have enclosed a copy for your information.

Take notice, that I have today spoken with the Information Commissioners Office, (ICO) who have confirmed that it is not obligatory to complete an application form when making a subject access request; limited or, otherwise. Furthermore, I have completed a Data Protection Act 1998 complaint form, which will be lodged with the ICO shortly.

Please process my legal request by return of post as you already have all the details about me in order to do so.

If you do not understand my letter or, are unable to deal with this matter, please escalate my complaint to Mr. Lee Hancock.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post

If they are unsure, as to my identity, why are they processing my data?
                            You know the answer to that. You are not the data controller. The creditor is.

Comment

"The Creditor" and the CRA's are joint Data Controllers, Debt Star.

The point of my thread is about the difficulties that I continually encounter with Experian...

My right as an indivual under Section 7 of the DPA 1998 is constantly being hampered by this CRA; why all the foot dragging?

Experian, have all the information about me, as is required by "the Act", but they continue to obstruct my valid and legal request.

Three times now they ask me to prove whom I am, when clearly they know.

Equifax and Callcredit have provided their copies of my credit file, but as ever Experian always put up obstacles.

Makes my blood boil!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X