• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Foreign worker Visa scam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign worker Visa scam?

I am a UK Citizen, but I work in Taiwan at the moment. A friend of mine here is from the Philippines and he is keen on trying to get a job in the UK' despite the recent rules limiting none EU immigrants.. His mother in law somehow managed to get hold of the details of a London Hotel.

He wrote to them and this is what they emailed back to him:

XXX, Following the serious review of your resume that was conducted by the Human Resource Department of XXXXX Hotel London; We are pleased to offer you appointment in Position of a ROOM ATTENDANT.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Working times and days :11am to 4pm, Monday to Saturdays.[/COLOR]

Job Location: XXXXX London, WCXXXX, United Kingdom.

Salary: The salary scale applicable to your post is Grade level 09 and you will enter the scale at a salary of [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]£2, 700 GB P (Two Thousand Seven Hundred GB Pound Sterling) per month.[/COLOR]

Vacation: For the first year vacation time shall be pro-rated, so you will be entitled to 21 days vacation for every year.
    Job Contract Duration: The Duration of your Appointment is 3 years.

Employment Benefits:
    Life/health insurance policy implementation, Medical, Dental and Optical care.
    You will be given [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]a first class flight ticket for your traveling to London[/COLOR] for this offer we gave to you.
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]You will be given a well furnished free accommodation in the hotel staff lodge.Medical, Dental and Optical care.
    Official vehicle/Status cars.[/COLOR]
    Life/health insurance policy implementation, Medical, Dental and Optical care.

THE REQUIREMENTS FROM YOU FOR YOUR IMMIGRANTS TO UNITED KINGDOM FOR THIS JOB.

. THESE ARE THE LISTS OF THE REQUIREMENTS YOU ARE EXPECTED TO SEND TO US THROUGH OUR EMAIL ADDRESS FOR THE PROCESSING OF YOUR UK WORKING AND TRAVELING DOCUMENTS BY THE UK IMMIGRATION EXPERTS .

...[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]THE SCANNED COPIES OF YOUR CREDENTIALS, YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT, YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND ENTRY CLEARANCE FEE OF 490GBP.[/COLOR]

Enclosed herewith is the attached copies of the UK Entry Clearance Forms page 1 and 2, read the instructions very carefully, fill in the forms and scan them back to us through our email address with other requirements for the processing of their UK Work Permit and Entry Visa.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,

MR.XXXX
    HR MANAGER

He asked me about the offer and i said that it looks strange, as I know of nobody who gets 2700 a month for working 5 hours a day Monday to Friday as a hotel worker, along with accommodation and transport, including 1st class air travel!

I said that to me, although it is from a widely advertised and well known London Hotel, it smells of SCAM!

Nevertheless, I told him to scan his forms and send them off. he promptly did so and got an email by return, same day, asking for 495 GBP "clearance fee"!

I have told my friend to put it on hold whilst i investigate. Any comments advice please? Thanks.
    Thanks!

Debtisbad

Re: Foreign worker Visa scam?

HUGE Scam !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
      HUGE Scam !!!
      I thought so, but how does it work, this is an advertised hotel?
      Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Trying to sound legit, but any real company wouldn't ask for a processing fee.
        Also the quoted pay is MASSIVELY below minimum wage.

Comment

Massive Scam.

Well for what its worth I reckon its being run by someone who either works at the hotel and has access to their internet or even someone who is connected in that way.

My advice

Take it to the coppers asap, I'd also be tempted to let the papers have a copy too.

Comment

If this is a huge well known hotel they will have an HR department. Get the H/R address and send them copies of the papers asking them to confirm this is genuine. I'm sure they would love to know they are being used as a scam.

Comment

Sounds a big SCAM to me, when I am out there people approach and ask me about adverts they want to reply, most if that good I would have applied myself, at least they are not out of pocket, which most are from that poor country. He should look to Kuwait or Dubia area as a lot of Phillipino!s work airport Hotels etc etc, the planes are full of workers going on leave. Problem is a lot of Agencys in the Phil"s offer placement for fees which is common, £1.000 or more is the practice.

But as far as U.K. Hotels/industry there is enough through E.U. so visa would not be forthcoming I am pretty sure have run up against Visa Section @ the British Embassy in the past.

In the past my wife!s nephew was offered a job in the U.K., after investigation another scam, at least he was not out of pocket, a rule of the thumb would be if a E.U. person unable to do job - apply.
              Last edited by MIKE770; 28th July 2010, 14:05:PM.

Comment

Thanks for the messages above. on investigation, this is what i have found.

The hotel's official details on Google are:

Waverley House Hotel
                130-134 Southampton Row,
                London,
                WC1B 5AF

Tel : 020 7833 3691/2579
                Fax : 020 7837 3485
                http://www.waverleyhousehotel.com

However, on the scam emails the details for telephone fax, website and email are different, although the postal address is the same:

Tel:+447045709463Fax:+4402077273156
                Email:waverlyhouse.hotel@gmail.com
                Website:WAVERLEY HOUSE HOTEL - 130 134 SOUTHAMPTON ROW, London, WC1B5AG - LondonBy.Com

The contact who sent the bogus email is:

Mr Greg Black
                HR Manager

The website appears to be that of a legitimate online hotel booking site. it is the email address that is bogus.
                Accordingly, I went to the correct Waverley Hotel website. there was no direct email address, however, there was a request for information by email form for online submission and I posted the following to them:

I am a UK Citizen and have been contacted by a Filipino friend who applied to your hotel for a job as a room attendant. It would appear that he somehow was put in touch with a bogus scam operation purporting to be your hotel. Is there an email address that I can use to send you all of the correspondence, as this is clearly a matter for the police?

When I get a reply from the Waverley hotel I will let you know on here.

The bogus site sent the following email today to my Filipino friend:

We are in receipt of your documents and filled UK Entry clearance forms which you sent to us and we acknowledged you for that.

Prior to that, we will like to inform you that it still remains the UK entry clearance fee of 490Gbp to complete the requirements so that we will start the processing of your UK Working and traveling documents immediately.

We will also like to inform you that the entry clearance fee is very important because that is what will cleared you as a legitimate immigrant before your documents could be processed by the UK Home Office Immigration and Nationality Directorate here in London.

Yours faithfully

Mr Greg Black
                HR Manager
                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                Almost instant response from them at the real Waverley hotel:
                whhres@aquariushotels.co.uk to me
                show details 11:34 PM (10 minutes ago)
                It is indeed a scam, you need to contact the Police directly

------Original Mail------
                To: <waverleyhs@aol.com>
                Sent: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:23:42 +0100
                Subject: Accomodation Enquiry Details

To which I have replied:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for the fast response. As I am living outside of the UK, please could you give me the details of a police station that I can contact in the UK to deal with this scam?

many thanks for your understanding.

Regards
                ...and a second reply from their other inquiry form:

show details 11:46 PM (0 minutes ago)

This is nothing to do with us, and can only suggest again that you contact the Police.

------Original Mail------
                To: <waverleyhs@aol.com>
                Sent: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:39:26 +0100
                Subject: General Enquiry Details
                they quickly replied as follows:
                show details 11:50 PM (1 minute ago)
                Metropolitan Police Service - Homepage
                Last edited by debtisbad; 28th July 2010, 15:53:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

As I am abroad, it was easiest to report it to Crimestoppers who will now investigate.
                  Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Nice one, will you get any feedback or did you do it annonymously?

Comment

I gave them my full contact details and expect to get feedback that I will then post on here as soon as I receive it. Due to the tightening up of immigration laws recently, my Filipino friend offers no skills such as nursing, etc, that are still in demand so I suggested other countries such as the ones listed earlier in this thread.
                      Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

I had forgotten aboutthis. Never didget a replyasIdiditanonymously, but nothing on their website to show progress. I sincerely hope that it was looked into.
                        Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X