• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DCA chasing disputed debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA chasing disputed debt

I have disputed a repair carried by the council on my ex council flat on the grounds that:

1) My brother did the damage NOT ME
    2) My brother informed the council of the damage NOT ME
    3) The council insisted it was "policy" for them to come and repair the damage despite my brother saying it was not necessary.
    4) The tenancy was mine NOT my brother's and the council should not have been discussing any aspect of MY tenancy with my brother let alone agreeing to carry out a repair on his behalf.
    5) The bill should be sent to my brother NOT me!

A DCA called Moorfield Debt Recovery Ltd has now sent a fishing letter claiming they know I am at my present address as they have "confirmed with a major public utility that you are in occupancy at the above address"

I have emailed a complaint to the council re the poor standard of workmanship-they basically nailed 2 pieces of chipboard to the door and billed me over £80! I have also complained that I have been sent a bill for the repair which I have not requested.
    Is this alleged debt covered by CCA? Surely they cannot enforce it if I didnt ever request the repair!???

Please help!
    Redletter.

I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.......(Darren Hayes/Savage Garden)

"Get up at 6 face another day another red letter in the mail-already taken my TV away-whatever I earn there's always more to pay.....Gotta turn these rags to riches turn the pennies into pounds cos right now all my days are bitches and I'm tired of being down!." Copyright Change! (Redletter 2006).

Re: DCA chasing disputed debt

As YOU where the tenant, then any repairs, etc are YOUR responsibility and also billable to YOU.

I'm sorry, but I don't honestly believe you have a valid dispute in this, so it would make sense to pay it and get Moorcroft out of the way, or get your brother to pay it as he caused the damage.

No this type of debt is NOT covered by CCA, and as the Council have already stated this is their normal policy. CCA is NOT a panacea of all debts and shouldn't be regarded in that manner.

Harsh I know, but it does seem as though you need a slight wake up call with this.

Comment

Is it Moorcroft or moorfield? ive never heard of moorfeild... ignore it...
      If its moorcroft and you wait long anough a freindly DCA will visit you... If there not friendly make a complaint and dont pay

Somebody must have been in to let the work happen, so i doubt you could say you didnt authorise the work. If the quality of work does not warrent the bill, and its independantly inspected and found to be the case, then you may have a claim, but no doubt 2 people were sent on the job and you would be looking at 2 hours job slot for 2 men that works out at £20 an hour, I doubt the job would be done cheaper elsewhere...

Get your bro to pay

Comment

It's by way of a third party dispute; however if they have 'confirmed with a major public utility that you are in occupancy at the above address' that utility company have seriously breached the Data Protection Act.
        Scottish Wildcat Association, conserving Scotland's critically endangered wild felines

Comment

Then it's Moorcroft. And Moorcroft are numpties.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X