• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

employment unfair changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• employment unfair changes

hi
    sheltered housing manager...seeks help..
    employer has changed contract with clause from old working practice of covering weekends, i have asked to see this agrement but no-one can advise me from local union, job has changed dramaticly.. moved off site employers request..health and safety issues..new titles, more admin work..weekends staff no longer wanting to work weekends but local agrement we are told (never seen agreed years ago when wardens..on site 24 hour cover etc..was removed this was implimented) now we hear that they want our home phone numbers to call us out at weekends if not answering will send someone to your house..to work in emergencies... team leaders are to have their phones switched off!!, staff will be compulsory enforced to stay on duty if any incident occours whilst they are on duty until completed.. does not matter you have to pick little jimmy up from school make arrangements!! i think the local agrement drawn up years ago no longer applies?? contract has changed and the managers words you have to work overtime invalid..
    any idea's please i understand we are being told this next thursday and all comments ready by the next day when it will be implimented..:tinysmile_cry_t:

Re: employment unfair changes

What does your contract say with regards to the terms and conditions of your employment?
    Would this mean a change to the terms and conditions?
    Does the employer have to give a period of notice for you to accept or decline the new terms?

Comment

Re: employment unfair changes

I work in almost the same service as you and am a union rep, or have been for the last 18 months this all changed here back in 2005.

They can't just "implement" this change without consultation with the workforce or the recognised union, you mentioned a union but don't appear to have been consulted which concerns me!

Let me be clear, they can't just simply implement a change to your contract without your agreement, once the staff have been informed of these changes I would write a letter informing your employer that you don't agree to these changes. There is a risk of doing this that they could just dimiss you and re-engage (sack and re-hire) you all.

If you can't get hold of the agreement, a letter to your HR department requesting is under the FOI or DPA would prompt a response and compliance.

They are certainly throwing out a number of rights and responsibilities that they have as employers, check your employee handbook and have a look if they have a parental policy or a flexi policy etc.

Is this a local authority?
      Are you a member of the union? If so which union is it?
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      If they do implement this without your agreement then this could result in a breach of contract. What they tend to do is impose the change without your agreement and if no one responds then they take it that you have affirmed to the changes and agreed.

The 90 day rule isn't really a rule either its just a guide they follow which is used for redundancy situations. They must consult and seek agreement, there isn't a set in tone timescale for this.

If you and others aren't happy with this change it is important that once you become aware of the issue that you raise your objections, it may be that you do this through the union.
      Last edited by orfoster; 28th June 2010, 17:19:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X