• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with F & F settlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with F & F settlement

Hi

I could do with some advice and guidance please;
    I have a ccj from a HFC credit card and they also have a charging order on my property, I am only making token payments of £10 per month,and at this rate it will take forever to pay off, the DCA/Sol dealing with this is Restons they are requesting me to increase payments,a relative has offered to settle this debt for me, I spoke to them last week asking them if they could give me an amount for a F&F settlement, they said how much have I got? the debt is for £13,000.originally it was £9.000 when I put the account in dispute,so my question is how much do I offer them,and what is the best way to go about this as they have the charging order on property.I don't want them to take the amount offered as a part payment.

Thanks any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Help with F & F settlement

wjy has the debt increased by 4k? Don't tell them how much you've got, start with a low amount and negotiate. Get any agreement in writing and get a written agreement that the f & f will be in consideration of removal of the charging order etcetc and that this will discharge you debt completely etc etcc. Post up on here any offers, letters from them etc before you finally agree to anything.
    Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
      wjy has the debt increased by 4k? Don't tell them how much you've got, start with a low amount and negotiate. Get any agreement in writing and get a written agreement that the f & f will be in consideration of removal of the charging order etcetc and that this will discharge you debt completely etc etcc. Post up on here any offers, letters from them etc before you finally agree to anything.
      Hi Wendy. A technical question here. I often notice that when people default on credit, and the DCA gets hold of the debt for collection, they often add interest and charges on to the amount. In this case 4000 pounds. It seems common trick, as they can then make a "50% off" offer or other similar large discount and appear to be offering a limited time offer to the debtor to trick them into making a payment, which in actual fact, is probably the full amount of the debt at the time it was defaulted.

Are DCAs allowed to put whatever charges and interest that they want on debts that they have purchased?
      Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

No they aren't. Youneed to get a breakdown of exactly how the debt is made up, then you can challenge any charges, interest etc which shouldn't be there. Don't offer any f and f until you are agreed on the amount outstanding.
        Is no longer here

Comment

Thanks for reply,the extra £4000 is made up of interest,added fees for not paying minimum monthly payments, going over limit, and court charges, they have already got a ccj & charging order on my home for this debt, when I first sent them a CCA request in Dec 2008 the balance was £9000approx, they didnt come up with an agreement until almost 9 months later,and that was an application form signed by me,which the judge accepted as the agreement,so then got the ccj and now CO.
          How do I claim back unlawful charges now that its gone this far?
          How do I go about offering them a Full & Final settlement?

Any help is much appreciated

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X