• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business Rates debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Rates debt

In 2008 my partner and myself took over a pub and signed a lease. The business struggled and we ceased trading in Dec 2009. During 2008 we got behind with the business rates bill and it went to court then to a bailiff (rossendales) My partner is now not working and I am self employed as a shop owner. Thats the basic story.
    The council took the debt back from the bailiff when we ceased trading but insisted that it was repaid by the end of this financial year. This equates to about £100 per week. I am struggling to pay this amount but I am worried that if I dont pay they will return it to the bailiff and they will come to my shop to remove goods. Any advice please ?

Re: Business Rates debt

When you ceased trading in the pub - was it in your name or a business name like a LTD company?

And, your new business is that in your name or a business name like a LTD company?

Comment

Hi Tuttsi, the the pub was in my partners name as a sole trader, unfortunately I also signed the lease document. The business I now have is in my name only, again as a sole trader. Neither buinesses were LTD.

Comment

Well if the business was in your partners name - for the pub how can they come after you in your business if this is in your name only. There is no real connection. Except from what you have said that this has to be paid at the rate of £100 per month. Does your partner have the money to pay this debt?

Comment

The council are chasing me for the payment as I also signed the lease for the pub. I have told them that my partner is not working and they have said we are jointly and severally responsible as we both signed the lease so they will pursue me for the payment. They dont know I have my own business as far as I know but I would hate the bailiff to turn up here one day and clear me out.

Comment

Yes that is right is you co signed the lease thats makes you responsible as well for this debt.

My only suggestion is for you to try and pay this debt before the bailiffs catch up with you. they are very devious and have many ways of tracing you. If you can make an arrangement with the council with this debt and stick to it I cannot see any reason why the Bailiffs should bother you.

In case the bailiffs do make a visit have a read of our bailiff section http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...splay.php?f=76

Tuttsi

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will write to the council and ask if they will accept payment over a longer term and see what they say.

Comment

Make sure you include an IE sheet with your letter so they can see what you are offering is realistic. This means that should it go to court, a judge would be more likely to side with you and ensure anything you had to pay was realistic. As long as you are acting reasonably, which you seem to be, I would have hoped the council will be sympathetic to your plight.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X