• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

joint debt and mortgage issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joint debt and mortgage issue

My wife and I separated 6 months ago. She remains in our rented family home with our son. We own a holiday property in France which has a mortgage and is also in negative equity.

I currently pay a sum of money into a bank acount in order to cover the costs of the mortgage payment on the holiday property, a monthly sum to her which amounts to more than 15% of my net income to provide for my son, and an amount to cover our joint personal debt.

I would like to enquire what the law says about rights to the property and its payments. I would like my wife to sign her half of the house over to me (which means I take on the negative equity debt)so that she is free and clear of the responsibility. She states she wants to keep the property. But she is not in a position financially to pay her half of the monthly payment.
    I have offered my ex that I would take on £20k of joint personal debt and continue to pay her more than my 15% of net income obligation in exchange for the negative equity house. Is there any legal reason why she would be refusing this (very generous) offer?

If she continues to refuse this offer(for whatever reason), can I legally insist that she immediately starts to pay for half of all of our joint personal debt AND mortgage payments?

Re: joint debt and mortgage issue

I am not an expert, but I believe that it wouldn't be as simple as your wife just signing over her half of the property to you, negative equity or not. If there is a mortgage on the property, then in order for you to take on the whole of that mortgage you would have to be in a position (in the bank/building society's opinion) to be able to afford the mortgage on your own, i.e qualify for the amount of the mortgage on your sole income, before they would allow the ownership to be transferred and the mortgage to be single as opposed to joint.
    Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X