• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accounts which ''allow'' you to opt out of having unauthorised overdraft fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounts which ''allow'' you to opt out of having unauthorised overdraft fees

HSBC Bank Account Pay Monthly (not yet released)

Cost: £15 per month
    Available: from 26th April 2010
    Features: No unauthorised overdraft - if you hit £0 things will bounce. NO returned item fees. Text alerts when near overdraft limit.

Possible downsides:
    Costs £15 a month. Possibly a £50 buffer on uncertain terms - not sure yet what happens with Guaranteed Cheque payments. Applicants invited to a financial review - nice sales opportunity so be careful - especially of offers of managed loans to repay overdrafts. Terms and Conditions not yet available for this account so will review when they are released.

SANTANDER ZERO (Zero Current Account: Santander )

Cost: Free
    Available: Now - only for mortgage and investment customers of Santander
    Features: No unauthorised overdraft charges - runs as standard account.

Possible downsides:
    Still uncertainty whether something will be paid and take you to overdraft or be bounced - but no charges for either.
    You must credit your account with more than £1000 psm and this must be your main income. You must have more than 2 Direct Debits/Standing Orders set up to go from the account psm.

LLOYDS CONTROL ACCOUNT ( Lloyds TSB - Control )

Cost: £10 a month
    Available: Now
    Features: Account doesnt let you go overdrawn (excepting guaranteed items) and it won't allow you to use your debit card if it will take you over your limit.

Possible downsides:
    If you DO go overdrawn - by way of the £10 fee / a guaranteed cheque - there is a monthly fee of £15. There is also a £10 fee for each returned item (max 3 per day) applied to returned DD / unguaranteed cheques / Standing Orders.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Accounts which ''allow'' you to opt out of having unauthorised overdraft fees

Would you say that Barclays Reserve has an opt out(partially) of overdraft fees?

Comment

Re: Accounts which ''allow'' you to opt out of having unauthorised overdraft fees

I've pretty much made sure I never go overdrawn again. One account for outgoings, and requested no debit card to avoid temptations. Main account for day to day living, and debit card doesn't allow me to go overdrawn.

Both with Lloyds TSB.

Oh aye, and when I use my debit card, I have it set up to round up all purchases to nearest pound, and it dumps the change in my savings account. A virtual piggy bank. Amazing how quickly it builds up.

The nice lady in the bank tried for ages to persuade me that I only needed one account and they'd help me manage my finances so I didn't incur charges. Hmm. Now where have I heard that before? Oh, aye. RBS. Just before I stiffed them for the return of £6K in charges. LOL

On a seperate note, I've now become a money coach for Christians Against Poverty. And since I am expected to practice what I preach, I am now managing my money the CAP way. It's a real eye opener just exactly how much money I really waste each month.

I'M ON THE ROAD TO FISCAL FREEDOM. WOOHOO!!!
      My Blog
      http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi Luggerbugs,

It sounds like you have reached a place I'm aiming for! woo hoo freedom.. I've NEVER heard of being able to round up debit card payments. I just thought it would be a fab way to save money for my little boy AND it would make accounting so much easier. How do you do it? Did you ask your bank? (although I don't know if my bank would cope - Barclays).

Congratulations on becoming a money coach. That must be really rewarding. :cheer2:

Comment

I've done a bit of research and as far as I know Barclays don't do rounding up. Lloyds do it's called "save the change" ... unfortunately my account with them is completely unusable...

Comment

Bump For Meeting
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Bank Account Pay Monthly: HSBC Bank UK

NOW LIVE (from 26th April)

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_1_5_S5/co...nhZh:11j71fovq
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Amethyst not sure if NatWest's pay £10 and have fees reduced would come into this sphere:

see link: NatWest Reduced overdraft charges

Comment

Soz back to HSBC for a tic

2.3. Requests to make a payment that would
                  cause your balance to exceed any formal
                  overdraft limit and the Buffer limit
                  2.3.1. If we receive an informal request to make
                  a payment that would, if accepted by us, cause
                  your balance to exceed the amount of any formal
                  overdraft limit and the Buffer limit, we will refuse
                  to make the payment other than in very limited
                  circumstances where we are obliged to make
                  the payment. Where, in such very limited
                  circumstances, we agree to make such
                  a payment, we will provide you with an overdraft
                  to cover the amount which exceeds any formal
                  overdraft limit and the Buffer limit for 31 days.
                  2.3.2. We will contact you to discuss your account
                  if you make frequent requests for payments that
                  would, if accepted by us, cause your balance to
                  exceed the amount of any formal overdraft limit
                  and the Buffer limit, and we may give you two
                  months’ personal notice (which includes telling
                  you by post, statement message, email or secure
                  e-message) to close your account and end your
                  contract with us.
                  3. Fees for Bank Account Pay Monthly
                  3.1. A monthly fee is payable for Bank Account
                  Pay Monthly and the amount of the fee is set out
                  in the price list. This fee will be deducted from
                  your account. Before we deduct any monthly fees
                  and/or interest from your account, we will give you
                  at least 14 days’ notice. If your account is closed
                  before the 16th day of the charging cycle, we will
                  not charge you the monthly fee for that month.
                  3.2. We will not charge an arrangement fee for
                  considering and agreeing to a request for an
                  overdraft or a request to renew an overdraft.
                  3.3. We will not charge a fee for considering and
                  returning any requests for an overdraft.

Will have a look at natwest

Do people have any thoughts on whether Buffers should be known/not known and whether they should be a minimal amount (ie under the cost of a charge say £35 to guarantee anything taking you over less that the charge doesnt cost you more than the transaction) or a substantial amount like Barclays Reserve ?
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Amethyst, in this day and age, there should be no circumstances when a payment should exceed the overdraft. Cheques, I concede may be the exception but with the scrapping of guarantee scheme next year this should deal with the issue. Furthermore, what is the OFT doing in terms of consultation with the POS machine providers to eliminate floor limits and manual vouchers?

Comment

Natwest - yes in a way - its opting out of excessive fees isnt it.

I like the live chat thing on Natwest, t'is very good. I asked how to get one of those accounts...

''You can request to opt into that if you have frequently bouncing direct debits etc. It's usually really a debt management option so you'd need to either speak with a branch or call us on 0800 200 400 to have a chat about it.''

I asked how they decide who is eligible and they don't know lol.

So no I don't think it's a real opt out opportunity as you'll have to be in poop before they will let you have one. Though I may ring them later and sound them out unless you fancy it this after.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Apparently they havent researched that properly yet but are going to. I put forward the doesnt cost them any more or take any longer arguments.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          Apparently they havent researched that properly yet but are going to. I put forward the doesnt cost them any more or take any longer arguments.
                          The OFT haven't researched something that they identified in their report this year and during the OFT test case?? What the F are they doing? Do they need their ass kicked?

PS. I have work this afternoon......but I could email them if you want

EDIT: Emailed anyway, lol!

Comment

Nope its the LSB leading this one.

This is the FED RESERVE thing on opt in OD's for debit card and ATM transactions.http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsev...20091112a1.pdf
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

So the LSB are a bunch of morons instead since they have had since November to think about it all, lol!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X