• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need advice on fathers rights on childs religion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on fathers rights on childs religion?

I have just had my first child. Me and the mother of my child are no longer together and are not married, however i did sign my daughter's birth certificate. The mother of my child wants to have her christened something which i am really against and would like to know what rights i have regarding this matter and if i can stop my child from being christened. I was brought up a Catholic but am no longer one and i strongly believe a child should be allowed to be brought up with an open mind and when old enough make their own decision about religion.

Re: Need advice on fathers rights on childs religion?

Originally posted by tombeloro View Post
    I have just had my first child. Me and the mother of my child are no longer together and are not married, however i did sign my daughter's birth certificate. The mother of my child wants to have her christened something which i am really against and would like to know what rights i have regarding this matter and if i can stop my child from being christened. I was brought up a Catholic but am no longer one and i strongly believe a child should be allowed to be brought up with an open mind and when old enough make their own decision about religion.
    I was born Catholic, christened, confession, communion, confirmation etc.etc. I am no longer a practising(ie going to church) catholic anymore due to my own personal beliefs and opinions but I don't have any negative views on those that do not share that same opinion either.
    I understand your opinion and I think you need to explain your views to the mother of your child but in the end your child will decide whether they wish to affirm their religious beliefs, renounce those religious beliefs or keep well away from religion when they are older(as both you and I have both done). I'm not aware there are any laws with regards to the situation but personally, I don't think it has to be a huge issue for reasons I have given already.

Comment

I think you need to talk to your wife about your thoughts. Legal custody grants you the ability to direct how your child is raised and that includes religion. There's nothing wrong with being christened.

Comment

Agree with Leclerc. As far as I know there's no rules, but it's obviously in the child's best interests for you and his mother to both take an active role in his upbringing (and not just over things you disagree on).

As regards bringing him up to keep an open mind over religion, having him Christened is not necessarily a bad thing I would have thought. He will do as we all do in the end and make his own mind up, but in the mean time, keeping an open mind means exposing him to it and other religions as well as no religion.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X